Crevice sucker jar..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a contraption I made a couple of months back, seems to work, just need to be careful or you get a mouth full of water or sand if you suck to hard.. I did try to put a bulb from a turkey baster on it, but did not work...

This is from my note book.. if its hard to read let me know and I will type out the instructions, fairly easy, cost is about $1 if you have a plastic jar, use plastic instead of glass, that way it wont break in or on the way to your fav spot.

Enjoy..

Tone
1383806597_crevicejar001.jpg

Yes, a plastic Peanut butter jar, the big one from Coles is best.. larger capacity..

Its mentioned at the second point from the top.

Peanut butter sangers for breakfast, lunch and tea! Have to give this a go. Could you attach a small ball pump to the sucking end?

Give it a try Bushranhger. I tried with very limited succes. I think it has to sdo with volume of the ball and length of tube...

Here is my version.

Cheers Tone

1383858197_crevicejar002.jpg

A mate of mine just bought one of these - very similar to what you made Ten Ounce, but using bellows as a pump.
You can buy the bellows online for about $8 delivered. They come in various sizes.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rubber-B...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257ff85bcd
or 2 for $10 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pcs-Du...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a743f080
Fit one end of the bellows to a collection jar & block off the other.

I'll be tinkering with something similar :D

1383899198_crevice_bellows_sucker.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BELTMOUN...335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a86c0dfdf

You can buy them here from local distributors for around $100 or if you made similar yourself from bits & pieces laying around the workshop for bugger all.

backcreek said:
Hay Ag,
Where did you see the bellows advertised?
I'm in the process of building some new gear for my next crevicing excursion.

I put in a couple of links in my post - eBay

Hay Ag,
I think the rubber type like on steering racks and cv joints would be too soft.
Maybe the old type harder plastic conventional motorbike fork boots would do the job as they would have less tendency to collapse with the suction.
What do you think?

The one on the unit pictured is just a rubber one & seems to do fine.
Have a look at your local Repco or Supercheap Autos & have a look at what they got available.
Maybe some of them tapered CV joint boots may be the go too?

Worth tinkering with I recon. So simple & no risk of sucking up stagnant water into your mouth.

The Design Agman has up is made to clip on a belt, so you use one hand to operate the pump, the other to direct the probe.

with the airbed pump you are again going into the area of three handed operations unless you have a foot pump.. remember when you are crevicing you are more than likely down on your knees or seated, so simple two hand operation is required.

Just a design consideration I guess.

Cheers, Tone

That's it Tone,
My mate recons it works fine but you're right - it clips onto a belt. Once kneeling down or sitting, the catch container isn't always upright or close to the crevice.
I'm thinking of making similar but where the container has a base that you can place a knee on. Lessening the need for longer hoses & possibly a more stable/controlled pumping action.

Sorry too. Didn't mean to hijack your thread ether Tone. Will put the bellows contents into its own thread later if possible.

Cheers - Marty

Latest posts