Conductivity switch fitting pics.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
SunriseBoy said:
Yes, well I've come away rather chastened on learning I have little idea of tuning the SL.

Got around four to five inches with the said nugget. However, will go back and have another crack it. But my issue is tuning the device to 'big' au.

On the PD I had it right around to the start of the Large au area, but couldn't seem to get it to quieten down. Did the Freq. thing. All good. But it kept on warbling, so to speak, no matter how much GB'g done it still kept falsing.

Over to you!

SB, Always leave the Delay on 10, from my testing what I see on a flat target that is 2 and a half inches across and thin by changing the Delay the SL will LOOSE about 8 inches of depth by turning the Delay from 10us to 25us, For Big Gold leave the delay at 10 and switch to High Con, having tried many large metallic Items turning up the delay cause the machine to loose depth and the only time I would mess with it was if I had a very large coil fitted and could not get it to run smooth,

The High Conductivity setting is what finds large Gold Not turning up the delay, Because at 10us it is at it's most sensitive So it will pick up deeper faint targets, All the delay really does is desensitizes the machine to small junk and at the same time takes away depth on larger targets and also allows to disc out Bits, If you find your self in Big Gold Country then leave the Delay alone and switch ALL or High and go for it, the delay is more aimed at relic and coin/Beach hunters, on Gold you want Power and you want it in any of the 3 Modes, ok.

John

All good. But when I switch to High, the thing starts warbling that I'm unable to adjust.

SunriseBoy said:
Ridge Runner said:
SunriseBoy said:
Yes, well I've come away rather chastened on learning I have little idea of tuning the SL.

Got around four to five inches with the said nugget. However, will go back and have another crack it. But my issue is tuning the device to 'big' au.

On the PD I had it right around to the start of the Large au area, but couldn't seem to get it to quieten down. Did the Freq. thing. All good. But it kept on warbling, so to speak, no matter how much GB'g done it still kept falsing.

Over to you!

SB, Always leave the Delay on 10, from my testing what I see on a flat target that is 2 and a half inches across and thin by changing the Delay the SL will LOOSE about 8 inches of depth by turning the Delay from 10us to 25us, For Big Gold leave the delay at 10 and switch to High Con, having tried many large metallic Items turning up the delay cause the machine to loose depth and the only time I would mess with it was if I had a very large coil fitted and could not get it to run smooth,

The High Conductivity setting is what finds large Gold Not turning up the delay, Because at 10us it is at it's most sensitive So it will pick up deeper faint targets, All the delay really does is desensitizes the machine to small junk and at the same time takes away depth on larger targets and also allows to disc out Bits, If you find your self in Big Gold Country then leave the Delay alone and switch ALL or High and go for it, the delay is more aimed at relic and coin/Beach hunters, on Gold you want Power and you want it in any of the 3 Modes, ok.

John

All good. But when I switch to High, the thing starts warbling that I'm unable to adjust.

Then try to retune it and see if it goes away, hopefully it will, If I switch my machine if the EMI is high sometimes I have to re tune it but it is never an issue, so give it a go and see what happens, If you have it in low and the frequency is pointing to 10 o'clock when you switch to High you might have to turn to about 5 past maybe more or where ever but there is a difference, ok

john

Thanks for that John. But I was out for three hours trying to do just that. With no joy. It still kept on falsing after doing all the various adjustments.

It appears that the device doesn't like High, or I've confirmed my tuning skills are zero.

Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:
Yeah its given us a much better idea now so that's alright & now it won't take as long to cover the same amount of ground so that good too.
Would of been a little warm with headphones today, temp was only low twenties but still warm enough when in the hills.
Wouldn't mind a pair but just for cooler days I think, but they can wait.

Just don't sweep to fast because the coil need to hear/See whats going on in the ground, ok.

I thought about making some face cloth covers to absorb the sweat, I have worn them in about 30*c but it's not too bad if ya take a break now and then, Those nugget busters NDT are about the best because they are unrestricted but the Grey Ghost NDT's have a noise limiter in them to stop you getting ya ears blown off when you go over a large target near the surface and I think they are the same as the Whites Prostars but without the plug in Leads any way they all have a life time warranty so if they mess up you can always get em replaced,

John

No not going too fast RR, just a little faster than we were before & if there is even a slight change then we go back over the spot from multiple directions just to make sure, also try the different con modes to see if we can work out what the target might be, bit hard to guess that just yet but with more practice we might get better,haha.

I think if we do get some headphones then it will have to be the one sided type, that way we can hear other things if needed as well as talk & if it does get a little hot we can swap them to the other ear. All in time though, want that RB coil first.

SunriseBoy said:
Thanks for that John. But I was out for three hours trying to do just that. With no joy. It still kept on falsing after doing all the various adjustments.

It appears that the device doesn't like High, or I've confirmed my tuning skills are zero.

On these machines I have noticed even turning it 1/4 of a mm can make a difference, So don't panic, even in the City mine runs perfectly smooth but this could be related to the fact that the mods makes the machine run hotter, I am not saying it is but anything is possible, Personally I would have only got the hiccup mod done and if you have had the sensitivity mod done that might cause it, but I can't really say because I don't know enough about the mods that are being done,
All I know mine runs fine, but there again I am not using mine in ground that makes it hiccup,

john

ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:
Yeah its given us a much better idea now so that's alright & now it won't take as long to cover the same amount of ground so that good too.
Would of been a little warm with headphones today, temp was only low twenties but still warm enough when in the hills.

Just don't sweep to fast because the coil need to hear/See whats going on in the ground, ok.

I thought about making some face cloth covers to absorb the sweat, I have worn them in about 30*c but it's not too bad if ya take a break now and then, Those nugget busters NDT are about the best because they are unrestricted but the Grey Ghost NDT's have a noise limiter in them to stop you getting ya ears blown off when you go over a large target near the surface and I think they are the same as the Whites Prostars but without the plug in Leads any way they all have a life time warranty so if they mess up you can always get em replaced,

John

No not going too fast RR, just a little faster than we were before & if there is even a slight change then we go back over the spot from multiple directions just to make sure, also try the different con modes to see if we can work out what the target might be, bit hard to guess that just yet but with more practice we might get better,haha.

I think if we do get some headphones then it will have to be the one sided type, that way we can hear other things if needed as well as talk & if it does get a little hot we can swap them to the other ear. All in time though, want that RB coil first.

Sound like you got it worked out and that Coil will boost your chances,

good luck and keep going,

John

ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:

John

-------------------------------------------------
What are NDTs?

SunriseBoy said:
ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:

John

-------------------------------------------------
What are NDTs?

NDT's stands for NO DOWN TIME, they have plug in replaceable leads and they supply them with a spare with every set of headphones, and the have Duel rotary volume knobs and they are about the best money can buy, and the signals are Bright where as the Koss 3030 I had the sound was muffled and the slightest pull on the lead and the phones came off my head,

Since I got a pair years ago I won't use anything else now,

John

SunriseBoy said:

No its not a reflection on your skills it is more related to what I said in that message,

SunriseBoy said:

Hi Sunrise just a though here, when you flick to high are you reducing the GB slightly to block out the hot pockets and ground noise?
When in low mode we advance the GB slightly to get rid of the ground noise and when in high mode it's the opposite, reduce the GB slightly.
Just a thought in case that's the issue.

Went out bush today & also tested the nugget for depth, was able to detect it at 5 inches, or close to that anyway, tone change was very small so I doubt it would be detected any deeper. Still though, that's better than I thought it would be. Had a bit of a look around & detected in a couple of area's but didn't find a single thing, not even a rusty nail around & near some shallow workings.
On another note though, I was reversing my car along the track as I went past a track I wanted to go up, then out of no-where a big ironbark tree jump out & into the rear left of my car smashing the tail light/indicator, the metal panel under it & the bumper, DOH. haha.
Really need to find some gold now so I can repair it, or preferably get a better car like a small 4wd.

ozziii said:
Went out bush today & also tested the nugget for depth, was able to detect it at 5 inches, or close to that anyway, tone change was very small so I doubt it would be detected any deeper. Still though, that's better than I thought it would be. Had a bit of a look around & detected in a couple of area's but didn't find a single thing, not even a rusty nail around & near some shallow workings.
On another note though, I was reversing my car along the track as I went past a track I wanted to go up, then out of no-where a big ironbark tree jump out & into the rear left of my car smashing the tail light/indicator, the metal panel under it & the bumper, DOH. haha.
Really need to find some gold now so I can repair it, or preferably get a better car like a small 4wd.

Brilliant job on the Testing,, Sorry to hear about the Car, hope you get it fixed soon,

5" on that nugget is pretty good that's a huge difference compared to your 1 inch air test, So congrats on that, It's nice to know because when you get it to the bigger nugget areas you stand a good chance of getting them. keep up the good work,

john

Thanks RR, the car doesn't really worry me, found out my daughter has a tail light she can send me so that's ok, will just give the small panel a bit of a bash myself to make the light fir & that will do it. Its only an old 96 VS Commodore so not worth spending to much money on to fix properly.

Was surprised the nugget was detected at close to 5 inches, although only just, but that was using the speaker so weather or not headphones would still hear it any deeper is hard to say, but they probably would, it was a very soft signal though.

We had a bit of a thought though, what happens if there is a little nugget, smaller than out test piece, on the surface or just under, in that case we may not even get a signal & could possibly miss it. The 12" is a little better than I thought but the RB is still the preferred coil I think.

ozziii said:
Thanks RR, the car doesn't really worry me, found out my daughter has a tail light she can send me so that's ok, will just give the small panel a bit of a bash myself to make the light fir & that will do it. Its only an old 96 VS Commodore so not worth spending to much money on to fix properly.

Was surprised the nugget was detected at close to 5 inches, although only just, but that was using the speaker so weather or not headphones would still hear it any deeper is hard to say, but they probably would, it was a very soft signal though.

We had a bit of a thought though, what happens if there is a little nugget, smaller than out test piece, on the surface or just under, in that case we may not even get a signal & could possibly miss it. The 12" is a little better than I thought but the RB is still the preferred coil I think.

Well the 12" DF can see bits down to 0.12 depending on the shape etc on the surface, and an 0.26g bit between 2 to 4" So I would not be worrying to much, when you get that other coil and get it over the ground you will see a difference, there is a couple of tricks with the Frequency that seems to help the depth for some reason it seems to prefer the FREQ being before the 12 O'clock position so between the 10 and 12 seems to help it but that is all down to what the EMI is doing that day, anyway just a few thing to play with while you are waiting to get back out there,

Good luck

john

This what I hate about the sentimental crap about gumtrees. Here's a man is quietly going about his business and when he least expects it, 'Bang'!, one of these 'things' jumps out and attacks his car. And for no particular reason.

If I had my way I'd bulldoze the lot of 'em, and concrete the place. Hose it down once a week. All good.

No more bushfires. No worries.

SunriseBoy said:
This what I hate about the sentimental crap about gumtrees. Here's a man is quietly going about his business and when he least expects it, 'Bang'!, one of these 'things' jumps out and attacks his car. And for no particular reason.

If I had my way I'd bulldoze the lot of 'em, and concrete the place. Hose it down once a week. All good.

Yeah ?? but it's a bugger try and dig through, I Vote we then paint it all green once it has hardened off, lol

SunriseBoy said:

Haha, yeah they are a PITA at times hey.
Not sure about the concrete though, just take the trees away & then it will make it easier to detect an area.

Latest posts