Conductivity switch fitting pics.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only got one and I still can't believe the pis-ant quality of the build. Remarkably 'cheap'. When I pulled the PCB out of it to send to Luke, found the whole unit was out of square and the battery door wouldn't close. So I had to chop a corner off the PCB to allow the thing to line up so the door would shut when all the screws were fastened.

Holy Crap! And it retails at $2400!!!?

SunriseBoy said:
I've only got one and I still can't believe the pis-ant quality of the build. Remarkably 'cheap'. When I pulled the PCB out of it to send to Luke, found the whole unit was out of square and the battery door wouldn't close. So I had to chop a corner off the PCB to allow the thing to line up so the door would shut when all the screws were fastened.

Well was it like that before you took it apart, I have never seen that happen with any of the machines I have seen, Something is not right somewhere ??

SunriseBoy said:

Remind me never to buy a used detector from you :D

How did the PCB fit inside before you took it apart - some sort of magic? :cool:

:) :) :) :)

Nuggetbuster said:
SunriseBoy said:

Remind me never to buy a used detector from you :D

How did the PCB fit inside before you took it apart - some sort of magic? :cool:

:) :) :) :)

It was Built by Harry Potter :D :D :D

well that's stuffed it for trying to sell it here.

As we haven't found any gold just yet, we decided to buy a nugget as a test piece, haven't buried it yet but will give it a go tomorrow hopefully. I didn't want anything too big so got a .87 gram piece, got home & while inside turned the SPP on & waved the nugget under the coil, conductivity on low, got nothing until the nugget was about 1 inch from the coil & moving it slowly across it & only got a slight tone change. Will try outside tomorrow but not expecting much with the 12" coil anyway.
Went for a stroll out bush today & used the SPP in low mode, found a .22 bullet (1.73 grams) at about 8 inches & a couple of scraps of steel.
Going out tomorrow & will try the high mode for a while & see what that turns up, maybe it might find something bigger & deeper as the coil is probably better suited for that anyway.

ozziii said:
As we haven't found any gold just yet, we decided to buy a nugget as a test piece, haven't buried it yet but will give it a go tomorrow hopefully. I didn't want anything too big so got a .87 gram piece, got home & while inside turned the SPP on & waved the nugget under the coil, conductivity on low, got nothing until the nugget was about 1 inch from the coil & moving it slowly across it & only got a slight tone change. Will try outside tomorrow but not expecting much with the 12" coil anyway.
Went for a stroll out bush today & used the SPP in low mode, found a .22 bullet (1.73 grams) at about 8 inches & a couple of scraps of steel.
Going out tomorrow & will try the high mode for a while & see what that turns up, maybe it might find something bigger & deeper as the coil is probably better suited for that anyway.

Well you must be doing something right hitting a 1.73 gram bit at 8 inches so that's good going, well done, If there is nuggets there you have a pretty good chance of finding them,

Take no notice of air tests with a PI, you will pick them up deeper, with headphones on that bullet would ring out at 10 to 12 inches so that bit of Gold you bought should not be a problem in the ground,

Good Luck and keep up the good work,

john

Yeah it seems to be working alright, well on lead anyway,haha, also found a partly squashed .22 bullet a while back that was a little deeper so on the reasonable size target it can get some depth.
We will have to try the test piece at a few different depths to see how it goes, although being that the ground will have been disturbed it may not be completely accurate but it will still give us a better idea on depth for target size anyway, it all helps.

Also, is there a certain sized nugget where the low mode will stop detecting it, like say if there was a half or 1 oz nugget at 6 inches, would the low conductivity mode pick that up or would high mode be needed, does depth also play a part in that as well.

Thanks.
Paul.

ozziii said:
Yeah it seems to be working alright, well on lead anyway,haha, also found a partly squashed .22 bullet a while back that was a little deeper so on the reasonable size target it can get some depth.
We will have to try the test piece at a few different depths to see how it goes, although being that the ground will have been disturbed it may not be completely accurate but it will still give us a better idea on depth for target size anyway, it all helps.

Also, is there a certain sized nugget where the low mode will stop detecting it, like say if there was a half or 1 oz nugget at 6 inches, would the low conductivity mode pick that up or would high mode be needed, does depth also play a part in that as well.

Thanks.
Paul.

well if you are in large Gold area you can either hunt in low and then re do it in high or switch to all and just turn the Gain down a touch if it warbles and check all targets, In fact I would use all and if you have to turn it down so be it, But grab that bullet and air test it at different gain setting then you will see how little depth you will loose, put it in low and start off at 1 and then work your way up, dropping your gain from 10 to 8 or even 7 there won't be a lot In it, So don't worry, and if you do find a big one it will see it down pretty deep,

good luck,, john

Buried the little nugget about 2.5 inches deep & with conductivity on low we were able to get a decent signal, but what we did notice is that swinging very slowly made it harder to notice the signal & swinging faster made the signal slightly louder & I guess you would call it sharper.
We still didn't find any gold, just some more scrap metal but atleast we know this coil will still find some reasonably small nuggets of just under a gram if they are shallow. I would guess this small piece could of been detected slightly deeper, probably 3 inches but we didn't check so will have to test a little more next time. Gain was around 7-8.
Brother got a signal on a bit of a mound so I scraped the leave & sticks from the top, then while he was going over the spot he jumped back & stomped his feet on the ground a few times & started checking his feet & legs, lol.
When I had scraped the spot I had disturbed a nest of big inch ants & they weren't very happy at all & there was a lot of them pouring out of the hole, we checked to make sure none were on us & decided to move on & let them be,haha.

It was just the standard Whites 12" spider coil Sunrise.
I was told by Goldsearch that its mainly designed for .8 of a gram & larger nuggets, think its in the instruction details as well.
It could probably find smaller but they would have to be shallower I would think & if the small piece we have was much deeper then I don't think we would find it, should of tested it a bit deeper but didn't worry about it.

Yep, that's the one I've got. But mine is the dual-field. I was lucky to score that when it came over with pack from the US.

I like the coil. It goes fairly deep. This arvo I'm on my way out to test just how deep it does go. Using a 1.25 grammer to do the test.

ozziii said:
I was told by Goldsearch that its mainly designed for .8 of a gram & larger nuggets, think its in the instruction details as well.
It could probably find smaller but they would have to be shallower I would think & if the small piece we have was much deeper then I don't think we would find it, should of tested it a bit deeper but didn't worry about it.

So you got an inch with it doing an air test and a good signal at 2 and a half inches with it in the ground, so in undisturbed ground you should get it at 3 to 4 inches maybe more, the 12" DF coil see's bits between 0.12? to 0.17 grams,

Seems you need one of the MJ coils and they will see your test bit a lot deeper, but notice how much deep it saw your test bit once it was in the Ground, with a VLF you could expect the reverse of your results,

Oh and at leased your brother now knows that termite mounds and Ant hill are detectable, lol

Are you sure he was not doing the Gold Happy Dance, lol

Good Luck Ozzi,,

john

SunriseBoy said:
Yep, that's the one I've got. But mine is the dual-field. I was lucky to score that when it came over with pack from the US.

I like the coil. It goes fairly deep. This arvo I'm on my way out to test just how deep it does go. Using a 1.25 grammer to do the test.

Cool, SB, well on a bit that size you should get good depth, Lets us know how it goes coz in some ground in OZ those coils will be a bit noisy but they can see some tiny bits when tuned right,

Good Luck,, john

Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:

So you got an inch with it doing an air test and a good signal at 2 and a half inches with it in the ground, so in undisturbed ground you should get it at 3 to 4 inches maybe more, the 12" DF coil see's bits between 0.12? to 0.17 grams,

Seems you need one of the MJ coils and they will see your test bit a lot deeper, but notice how much deep it saw your test bit once it was in the Ground, with a VLF you could expect the reverse of your results,

Oh and at leased your brother now knows that termite mounds and Ant hill are detectable, lol

Good Luck Ozzi,,

john

I wouldn't say a good signal but it was enough to hear when swinging slow & a bit better when swinging faster, that's using the speaker though not headphones so you might be right with the depth in undisturbed ground.
I only dug a small diameter hole & packed the dirt & quartz stones back in to try & make it similar to normal but I'll have to wait until we find a nugget to see how it really works.

Yeah my brother jumped away pretty quick when he seen the inch ants, they can cause a few problems if bitten too much & even one bite can be painful so he's lucky the didn't get past his shoes. I wish it was the gold happy dance, that will come though hopefully,lol.

Thanks.

ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:

Good Luck Ozzi,,

john

I wouldn't say a good signal but it was enough to hear when swinging slow & a bit better when swinging faster, that's using the speaker though not headphones so you might be right with the depth in undisturbed ground.
I only dug a small diameter hole & packed the dirt & quartz stones back in to try & make it similar to normal but I'll have to wait until we find a nugget to see how it really works.

Yeah my brother jumped away pretty quick when he seen the inch ants, they can cause a few problems if bitten too much & even one bite can be painful so he's lucky the didn't get past his shoes. I wish it was the gold happy dance, that will come though hopefully,lol.

Thanks.

Well now you know roughly what sweep speed to use, But headphones will make that Signal really Pop but the weather is the key factor here, it's alright telling people to use them but in OZ they make a person sweat, Sometimes with phones all it takes is a rise in the threshold to get on a good target, If that happens just scrape the surface and see if it gets stronger and you be doing the Prospectors Two Step, :D :D :D

Good Luck

John

Yeah its given us a much better idea now so that's alright & now it won't take as long to cover the same amount of ground so that good too.
Would of been a little warm with headphones today, temp was only low twenties but still warm enough when in the hills.
Wouldn't mind a pair but just for cooler days I think, but they can wait.

Yes, well I've come away rather chastened on learning I have little idea of tuning the SL.

Got around four to five inches with the said nugget. However, will go back and have another crack it. But my issue is tuning the device to 'big' au.

On the PD I had it right around to the start of the Large au area, but couldn't seem to get it to quieten down. Did the Freq. thing. All good. But it kept on warbling, so to speak, no matter how much GB'g done it still kept falsing.

Over to you!

SunriseBoy said:
Yes, well I've come away rather chastened on learning I have little idea of tuning the SL.

Got around four to five inches with the said nugget. However, will go back and have another crack it. But my issue is tuning the device to 'big' au.

On the PD I had it right around to the start of the Large au area, but couldn't seem to get it to quieten down. Did the Freq. thing. All good. But it kept on warbling, so to speak, no matter how much GB'g done it still kept falsing.

Over to you!

SB, Always leave the Delay on 10, from my testing what I see on a flat target that is 2 and a half inches across and thin by changing the Delay the SL will LOOSE about 8 inches of depth by turning the Delay from 10us to 25us, For Big Gold leave the delay at 10 and switch to High Con, having tried many large metallic Items turning up the delay cause the machine to loose depth and the only time I would mess with it was if I had a very large coil fitted and could not get it to run smooth,

The High Conductivity setting is what finds large Gold Not turning up the delay, Because at 10us it is at it's most sensitive So it will pick up deeper faint targets, All the delay really does is desensitizes the machine to small junk and at the same time takes away depth on larger targets and also allows to disc out Bits, If you find your self in Big Gold Country then leave the Delay alone and switch ALL or High and go for it, the delay is more aimed at relic and coin/Beach hunters, on Gold you want Power and you want it in any of the 3 Modes, ok.

John

ozziii said:
Yeah its given us a much better idea now so that's alright & now it won't take as long to cover the same amount of ground so that good too.
Would of been a little warm with headphones today, temp was only low twenties but still warm enough when in the hills.
Wouldn't mind a pair but just for cooler days I think, but they can wait.

Just don't sweep to fast because the coil need to hear/See whats going on in the ground, ok.

I thought about making some face cloth covers to absorb the sweat, I have worn them in about 30*c but it's not too bad if ya take a break now and then, Those nugget busters NDT are about the best because they are unrestricted but the Grey Ghost NDT's have a noise limiter in them to stop you getting ya ears blown off when you go over a large target near the surface and I think they are the same as the Whites Prostars but without the plug in Leads any way they all have a life time warranty so if they mess up you can always get em replaced,

John