Conductivity switch fitting pics.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think your right again. I was watching European videos of it in action. I guess I'll move on getting an Oz Pro.

John, will you tell me what kind of depth are the boys getting with the Oz Pro, please? I've not seen much on that.

SunriseBoy said:
Well I think your right again. I was watching European videos of it in action. I guess I'll move on getting an Oz Pro.

John, will you tell me what kind of depth are the boys getting with the Oz Pro, please? I've not seen much on that.

Well the trouble is people always Test and compare the SPP/SL's to the Pro saying there is less than an inch difference, Is That True ?? Yes On Small Targets, BUT, Once the targets get up around small coin sized targets that's when the Pro really Pulls away and using the Pro on the Beach for coins and Rings it will go down seriously Deep even using the standard Coil, On bigger items they both will go very deep,

You have seen that Nokta Video well that's how A High Gain VLF behaves in mild Ground, A few months back I tried to tell folks here that the MXT with the 12"/300 coil would match a PI machine in normal soils and people thought I was having a lend of my self well that Video proves what I said was right. But don't try and compare a VLF Air test to a PI Air test, PI's Do Not air test well no matter what the Brand even the 5000 won't air test well but put it in hot Ground and a whole new world opens up.

Now that being said,, Australian Soil on Average is nothing like the rest of the world, it can turn from sandy loam to dark brown to blood Red hot clay in the same paddock, and when it rains the water in the soil can up set a PI machine but in normal soil with a VLF once the surface has dried within the top inch or so a VLF will actually go deeper because the soil is damp, but if the soil is fairly dry a VLF will find coins ranging from 6 to 12" +/- ??. but not in that Hot red dirt.

What the SPP/SL gives you is a machine that can gives you that depth but it does it in hot ground and the bigger the Item/coin the deeper it see's, It will see coke can sized item 2 - 3 feet deep and bigger things 4 to 5 feet deep using the standard 12" coil, and the Pro will do it as well As the target size gets bigger the difference gets bigger, but at our age do we really want to be digging 4 deep holes ?? and with the Pro and the GP/GPX and the ATX those kind of depths are not uncommon just to find a piece of junk, In hot ground in the US guys are digging belt buckles at 2 or 3 feet using the Pro,

Before you buy the Pro you need to make 2 lists stating your goals and the for's and against's, The Pro is deeper and it has a faster and more forgiving sweep speed along with a longer battery run time and GS Australia have another bigger battery with a 50% more run time than the normal Pro battery, The Pro is Heavier but it has about the best balance of any machine ever made, The machine in that Video is not balanced, and if Gold is your Target the Pro will go deep and the larger the Nugget the deeper it will go.

If it was me I would grab some lead and melt it and just pour it in a dozen different sized lumps on the soil and when they have cooled down I would take them out in the bush in hot ground and bury them at different depths going from small shallow to big deeper lumps and the reason I say pour it on the ground is because nuggets are not round like coins or shaped like sinkers so they resemble the odd natural nugget shapes, and make them up to about 5 ozt/155,5 grams, also this will show you how hard it is to dig in the bush and also how deep your SL will go and then decide if you want the Pro,

Personally I would be thinking about adding a VLF as well as your PI, like the MXT Pro/All Pro or the Nokta Fors Core, so you can sift through the junk. not the Racer, because I think the fors core is the newer version of that machine in the Video and if you get the pro pack you will get that big coil he used in the video and a smaller 5" coils as well as the standard coil,

Don't think a PI is the last word in detectors because they are not, because in a lot of places a PI can be a PIA and in old mining camps or tailing piles a VLF will run rings round it because of the junk there, for all out prospecting in OZ a PI is King but add in the human factor (junk) and by the end of the day that machine could end up becoming a tree Ornament, My PI's have more than enough power but would I trade my MXT "no chance". that's the machine I use to check out unknown areas and I will always find something with it and it the ground is too hot then that is when you break out the PI,

hope this helps,, john

Thanks for that John. I'm getting more organized and clearer in my goals as each week goes by. As a matter of fact, am going in for a Siesta, then off over to Ficks Crossing where the old army camp used to be; for a couple of hours.

I'm going to give the SL a good trot for the next couple of months and see how I go. Then if I start hitting pay dirt, then I'll be in more of a position to see what I need to do next.

I like the MXT Pro, but boy that Nokta really does a brilliant job. At an exceptional price!

SunriseBoy said:
Thanks for that John. I'm getting more organized and clearer in my goals as each week goes by. As a matter of fact, am going in for a Siesta, then off over to Ficks Crossing where the old army camp used to be; for a couple of hours.

I'm going to give the SL a good trot for the next couple of months and see how I go. Then if I start hitting pay dirt, then I'll be in more of a position to see what I need to do next.

I like the MXT Pro, but boy that Nokta really does a brilliant job. At an exceptional price!

Theres a couple of things I don't like about the Nokta and they are just silly things that I read in a review, The machine is fine, But if you want to pack the machine back in its bag then you have to strip it down and to put the rain cover on or off it then you have to remove the control box off of the shaft, and having to disassemble it to put it away is a PIA, and for that reason I would go with the MXT's. Power wise they are pretty much on par with each other, The MXT has a Gold Proven history and the fors core don't but that's only a matter of time because it is that good, the bonus about the MXT is it shares the same batteries as your SL so that's a good thing,

I would add a VLF to your kit that way you get more options as to where and what you can detect.

john

Ridge Runner said:
If it was me I would grab some lead and melt it and just pour it in a dozen different sized lumps on the soil and when they have cooled down I would take them out in the bush in hot ground and bury them at different depths going from small shallow to big deeper lumps and the reason I say pour it on the ground is because nuggets are not round like coins or shaped like sinkers so they resemble the odd natural nugget shapes, and make them up to about 5 ozt/155,5 grams,

Just bear in mind when doing this for the purposes of testing that the density of gold and lead are nowhere near the same, so accuracy goes out the window...

A 5 ounce blob of lead will generally be much larger than a 5 ounce blob of gold.

So your detector might pick up a 5 ounce blob of lead at X distance, whereas it might only pick up a 5 ounce gold nugget at 50% (or 75%, 40%, etc.) of that distance.

Of course there are so many variables that I don't think you could develop a reliable formula (purity, shape, surface area, structure, etc).

:)

Yeah I agree, its only to give him an Idea and it will teach him about how is machine handles the ground and get him use to the controls, the only real way is to go out and find them, Aye, but SS has only had his machine back together a week so he needs the Practice,

john

I have a slightly different initial setup sequence for my SPP. Same dog as ridge runners, but slightly different leg action.

1- Threshold just audible or just off.
2- ALL selected and Ground balance 8.5
2- Gain full boar #10
3- Turn and seek out were EMI is coming from (stop), adjust frequency control.
4- set gain back to #5 and ground balance machine in ALL
5- set conductivity switch to LOW, raise gain to #10
6- Slight tweek of ground balance positive (only if needed)
7- If experiencing excessive noise from ground or EMI, lower GAIN.

Its very hard to hear EMI with these detectors, but just having the threshold just coming in or just off helps to hear the EMI spikes and having the Gain flat out amplifies these spikes. :)

Ridge Runner said:
Minelab coils work ok but they have a higher resistance than Whites coils or MJ coils so it might chew a bit more power if you use a coil that is meant for a minelab machine,

The Whites 7.5 coil is ok but it is no more sensitive than the 12" coil, so apart from fitting in tight spaces I would not bother with it, I have the Duel field versions of the 12" and the 7.5, they are supposed to be more sensitive than the mono's but I don't see any difference apart from they don't like Aussie Dirt,

john

Higher resistance will mean lower power consumption as current is lower.

Also when using lead as a test target, lead has a slightly different decay time. So even if weight, size and shape were identical, they would give a different signal.

SteelPat said:
Ridge Runner said:
Minelab coils work ok but they have a higher resistance than Whites coils or MJ coils so it might chew a bit more power if you use a coil that is meant for a minelab machine,

The Whites 7.5 coil is ok but it is no more sensitive than the 12" coil, so apart from fitting in tight spaces I would not bother with it, I have the Duel field versions of the 12" and the 7.5, they are supposed to be more sensitive than the mono's but I don't see any difference apart from they don't like Aussie Dirt,

john

Also when using lead as a test target, lead has a slightly different decay time. So even if weight, size and shape were identical, they would give a different signal.

That might be so, but lead is the closest thing that he can use without spending 20k on nuggets just to test his machine.

SteelPat said:
I'd actually like to get my hands on some whites machines to have a play with them.

I am always on the look out for faulty modern machines to pull down and experiment with lol.

Trouble is there is not many faulty ones that cant be fixed but there are a few things that could be added to some as with all machines,

SteelPat said:
I bought a .5gm nugget off a mate and use that to fine tune the 7000 when I am out in the field. $20 and a cup of coffee lol

I think we need a How Too page on the 7000 solely based on setting the machine up in different situations,

Yeah small nuggets will tell a person so much more about the ground and the machine than any other poor substitute, I want to buy about 10 or 20 bits ranging from 0.03 up to a couple of grams, mainly because my testing is more about the coils,

I have noticed that Tiny lead does not respond like Tiny Gold does and I have come to a halt with playing with coils, plus the fact the temps dropped down to -3*c last night so that's not helping my testing either.

SteelPat said:
Maybe I will have to buy new ones when they are on special. It probably wont be long before I have the 7000 on the bench lol

That is a Beast,, heaven knows how deep it will find a real serious nugget, but you better rest up the week before hand,lol

SteelPat said:

True

Nuggetbuster said:
SteelPat said:

That's the other thing

So true, but with limited options that is as close as we can get, Unless Meta will let us detect in his bank Vault, :D :D :D

Latest posts