P.A Archive Plus mbasko & AuMan Save The Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had what I thought was a major outing killer last weekend. I went up to McIntyre/Moliagul for the day on Sunday, but the trip almost got cancelled after all the preparation and packing etc. I'd been keeping the 5000 under the bed instead of in the wardrobe, because I'm running the NF 25 DD X again and just leaving it on the detector (It's the only coil that won't fit in the wardrobe if I leave it on the detector). Only problem is, to get it to slide under the bed I have to twist the handle to one side otherwise it won't fit under.

Anyway, last time I went out I must have twisted it the wrong way or something when I got back, because on Saturday afternoon after charging the battery, I was just about to load the 5000 into the car ready for an early start on Sunday morning when I realized that the wiring coming out of the quick-track button on the handle was just hanging there with no plug on the end. Close inspection revealed that the plug was still attached to the control box, with three bare posts staring back at me 8.(

I knew from an earlier query that I had posted on here once back in May last year https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=488548#p488548
Post #2 that only two of the posts were actually used, thanks to mbasko's quick reply.

Once I'd removed the plug out of the control box with a pair of pliers, I held it up in exactly the same way and angle as in the photo in my old thread last year. It was easy to see then when compared with the photo, on which of the two posts each of the two wires should go, with the yellow and blue clearly showing in my original posting. Whether or not getting them around the wrong way matters or not i wasn't sure (logic tells me it wouldn't matter if indeed the quick-track button is a simple two post switch?). Anyway, I straightened out the bent post and :poop: the rotten thing broke off :awful:

I got a small file and filed down the hard plastic and the rough hollow stump of the little broken pin until there was just a solid brass circle showing. I tinned it with the soldering iron, and soldered the wire to it, thinking that it wouldn't hold, but a few good pulls on the wire later assured me that it had worked. So I then soldered the second wire back on. I then took AuMan's tip from the same thread and pushed the little rubber boot back over with some supaglue to keep it all holding on. I tested it in tracking, as per mbasko's earlier advice to listen for the beep to test whether it works, and bingo! Back in business.

I got to go out for the following day and it all held up well, and in the meantime I've got a new handle assembly with quick-track button and plug on its way from LuckyStrike. If I can find a replacement plug and boot from somewhere I'll even be able to repair my old handle and keep it as a spare.

Once again, a reminder of what a great resource this forum is. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice over the last 18 months or so :beer: :Y:

Yes, I probably should take the coil off, but I just got used to being able to pop off the skid plate of the Detech SEF, hosing it down and then standing it up in the wardrobe ready for next time. Having said that, I do always disconnect the battery lead and back off the nylon wingnut on the screw that connects the coil to the lower shaft, just so I don't go compressing the rubber and losing grip on the coil housing earlier than it should.

Hi Deepseeker,

I'm glad you were able to get going again!
If you need a new plug, send me a message.

Cheers Mick

Latest posts