Coin id?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not so much a detector find here but i came across this in a box of odds & ends i had laying around under the house, was wondering if anyone may have an idea/ info they could share as to history or age etc? Ive had a hunt online but turned up nothing :| It appears to have been altered at some point to make it a brooch/ pin & its quite heavy, 54 grams on the scales and the markings are very worn.. any help is much appreciated :)
1448256749_20151120_073052_opt.jpg

1448256781_rsz_20151120_073201.jpg

Cheers, Husky

Hey Husky

I don't think it is a coin so to speak, it looks more of a token. Coinage would normally have a value on them, it may be in the writing though?

The writing looks similar to a Wales token around the era.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...d=0ahUKEwj7rtCB7qXJAhXi4KYKHcjpC7MQMwgrKBAwEA

The Eagle has double heads which is a bit different also. At a guess though I would think it may be old German States origin or near that area etc...

Certainly an old coin/token. Best of luck with the ID.

Also this one has some similarities - http://coinsgalore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_186&products_id=3613

Thank you for your reply Westaus, it definitely is intriguing i had no luck even finding similar lettering while searching but im glad its looking possibly authentic as per the date on it, my first thought was possibly a later replica but the wear signs on the writing etc give an 'old' feel/appearance.. it also looks to have been mis-struck as the face design is off center.

Cheers mate :)

Husky

Wow, youre the man goldpick! Awesome detective work mate, so thats what its supposed to look like.. very much appreciate your efforts :) i wasnt expecting it to be russian but definitely stoked i came accross it.. a rare one indeed.
Thanks again goldpick and everyone for your help :D

Husky

Family heirloom Husky ?

Interesting that the queens initials are on show rather than the coat of arms; that would indicate personal admiration of the queen meaning the brooch was probably made during her reign.

You might be related to that Siberian Husky after all

Pmsl Wally :lol: nah not an heirloom, the old lady was an antiques dealer and was always dragging me along to the weekly saturday morning garage sale hunts and auctions when i was a kid, i was always interested in old collectibles like trenchart, lighters and militaria etc (i collected all sorts of old stuff from an early age), i remember using my pocket money to buy this old wooden box at a garage sale for like $5 or something :D By the time i moved out of home back in the day it all ended up stored underneath their house.. some interesting stuff stored under there id forgotten about until recently ;)

The aforementioned box of odds & ends still with 20+ years of dust still on top..
1448334856_rsz_20151124_044005.jpg

1448334883_rsz_20151124_043917.jpg

Latest posts