Coil Lead Shortening (Mono Coils Only)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndyne

Shaun Galman
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just flicking back through the threads quickly and I didn't notice any threads (hopefully I didn't glance over it blindly) posted on the topic previously and I was wondering if any of you had thought of, or have shortened the lead on your mono coils to keep things neat and tidy?

On the trip out with Lbg dreamer I noticed his lead had been shortened on his GPX and it was a very clean looking setup. It was great to see the lead running straight up and clipped neatly to the iso rod and shaft, then into the control box with no messy wound coils needed to use up the excess slack lead.

I've been thinking of having it done to my main mono coils -Sadie 6x8", 7x14" and the 16" NF's as they can be a bit roughly wrapped and a mess of coiled lead on the GPX5000 (still making sure the lead is neat and straight up the iso rod) when I'm switching between mono's at times. I noticed over on Facebook recently that Nenad Lonic (previously of Minelab) mentioned he was also having his coil leads shortened. He did mention you cannot do this with DD coils.

Perhaps there's a problem I haven't foreseen? But it's a wonder the manufacturers don't offer a shortened lead version as an option? Maybe just giving enough lead to have a fully extended shaft.

Happy to know what you all think, recommend, thoughts on doing so?

I hope everyone has been going great and keeping warm!
Cheers,
Shauno.

I'm pretty sure you can order Coiltek coils with a custom sized lead & would imagine Nugget Finder would do the same. Would just mean waiting to get it made up & sent out I guess. Be interesting to see if anyone has done it DIY.
How ya going anyway Shauno? When are you heading down south again. Lbg's still beating us up with that 4500 of his :lol:

Coiltek will sell you shortened lead coils of you want. I see no reason why dd pi coils can't be shortened either...

Cheers guys.

My mistake there (just went back to Nenad's Facebook post). He only mentioned that there's no problems with doing Mono's, but didn't mention DD's so I take it you must be able to do it on the DD's? Has anyone done a DD coil before?

I never really thought about the lead length when buying the coils (Picked them up through Miners Den). It would be a different story now should I purchase a replacement in the future. Will definitely go custom length :)

loamer said:
Interesting post. Here is a thread from a US based forum. I am OK with mine because I use the longer shafts as I am tall. Still, you reckon there would be an option?

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=84417

Thanks loamer. Some weird and wonderful solutions there. Not sure wrapping the shaft with foam pipe insulation would improve my situation lol. Novel idea though. It would keep it warm in Winter!

mbasko said:
I'm pretty sure you can order Coiltek coils with a custom sized lead & would imagine Nugget Finder would do the same. Would just mean waiting to get it made up & sent out I guess. Be interesting to see if anyone has done it DIY.
How ya going anyway Shauno? When are you heading down south again. Lbg's still beating us up with that 4500 of his lol

Going well, sir! Shouldn't be too far off now. Still in the middle of caravan renovations. Getting it schmick for the next trip down -hopefully when it's much, much warmer lol.
We really need to report that 4500 of Lbg's. It should be classed as an illegal weapon. :p Looking forward to catching up for a swing again.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Mate don't report me having a gpx 45000
Magnum mate :D
Ill have to downgrade if I get caught !
To a 5000 :p
It's top secret and hope you can keep it unda ya hat lol
Hope your well mate and your dad .
We will catch up when your out this way
;)

Cut it off, strip the wire back, burn off the enamel tin the wire, solder them back in the correct way. and you're good to go..

Do a good job on the soldering or you're gonna get noise.

Hi downhalo,

Have you had a shot at doing your own leads?

I've been giving it the thought of having a go. In all honesty though my soldering skills would let me down. I've done a few guitar pick-ups over time, but that's about the extent of my soldering experience. Never done any really fine wiring work.

Out of curiosity I'll go have a browse on YouTube and see if I can pick up a good tutorial on the process. See if anyone's been brave enough to do a good thorough DIY on the coil leads.

Lbg dreamer said:
Mate don't report me having a gpx 45000
Magnum mate :D
Ill have to downgrade if I get caught !
To a 5000 :p
It's top secret and hope you can keep it unda ya hat lol
Hope your well mate and your dad .
We will catch up when your out this way
;)

Your secret's safe with me Lbg. We're the only ones who can read this right? Hahaha! :D

We're all well out here, other than suffering from a bit of gold fever and prospecting deprivation. Looking forward to another swing with you blokes.
Take care out there!

Latest posts