You have to wonder!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Reaction score
Got a phone call from 44 year old son who runs his own business. "I need you to drive me into town tomorrow to get a new tyre fitted for the work truck, was coming home and got stopped by someone who saw bulge on inside wall of rear tyre, so I fitted the spare and used the impact driver to put the wheel nuts back on and when I got home I looked at the wheel and two of the wheel nuts were missing and when I went to take the wheel off at home I realised that I have cross threaded all of the wheel studs and two broke off and the centre of the wheel does not look too good". Ok I said "will be there in the morning", got over there to be informed that there are no wheel studs available in town before tomorrow and he described the centre of the wheel as fairly large in diameter and all the stud holes as being elongated somewhat. So I said that will be a new wheel (mags) No he said, it will be ok for a spare, tried to explain how the mags need to fit neatly over the hub to be correct, but to no avail, was just wasting my breath, hope that the mechanic can make him see reason as we have had words about the impact driver previously. I assisted him in putting up a large shed with many many self tapping hex head screws/bolts, told him he was driving them too hard, but he knew everything was ok until after a few weekends we started to notice the heads of the self tappers laying on the cement, but then to my surprise I was told that it was the quality of the self tappers, the ones I put in did not snap off the heads as I used a battery drill, but I live and learn just how wrong I have been, wonder just where I went wrong with all the sheds and bits I have done over the years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham

Yes LW, I tried to explain what was needed as that was one of my fears, but I could see that I was wasting my time as I have seen so many times in the past, that is why I hope the mechanic who is doing the repairs will have some ability that I seem to lack. I have to drive on the same roads also.

I have often said to my wife I would like to retire, she says you have been retired now for 20 years, what do you mean. I would like to not have people coming to me with, this broke can you fix it, I ask or help and get I am too busy, but expected to rush to everyone's aid at their beckon and asked for an opinion on something and then told that will not work only to get in a few weeks time can you fix this. :N: :N: :N:

Was asked this morning about putting up the old shed that was taken down and putting it up on an old slab on concrete this not square or level, what will happen if it not square. My answer was the roller doors will not work properly and the roof sheets will have a saw tooth effect and possibly also the wall sheets and look crap, why not make some piers to get it square and level. Reply 'Too much work'. Thats my rant for a while. It feels good when you stop banging your head against a brick wall.

Graham

A guy i use to work with had a Son who was a very smart and is a well paid professor ( perhaps the smartest person in Australia, by his own admission ).

Anyway called up his Dad one day, asking for him to come over urgently? One of the light bulbs at his house had blown and he was going on like it was the worlds
greatest disaster. His Dad was busy at work and unable to come over, so suggested to his son remove the light bulb, see what type it is and go buy a replacement?
Something most people are capable of?

His son refused saying he had no idea on how to do such a difficult task, His Dad suggested maybe paying a handyman or Electrician to do it?
To which he refused stating he could not afford it, despite earning around $250,000 AUD per year around 20 years ago? In the end his Dad
left work early without pay and fixed it for no charge, supplying his own transport to get there! :N: 8.( :drooling: :awful: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek:

Amazing how stupid highly qualified people can be. :cool:

My dad was a classic, up untill I was about 14 he knew just about everything in the world, I could ask him anything about camping,fishing,golf,tools, you name it. But then something strange happened, he started to lose his marbles, by the time I was 19 he didn't know a ferkin thing and it stayed that way for several years, and then, lo and behold, the marbles came back, the knowledge came back so much so that I asked him at 1 stage to write down his life story for me, so he did. 1 and half foolscap pages !!!

Have a read of a book " A Fortunate Life ", transpose that into the Otway Ranges 90 years ago.

Latest posts