Clodmaster's finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a few short swings over the weekend at the beach. Best find was a gold ring with what looked like calligraphy on the top and underside. However, on closer inspection this is a Lord of the Rings ring and at best it's gold plated, though probably just titanium or stainless steel. As you can imagine this looked pretty good in the scoop! A severe case of ring tease!!

I also found a few pre-decimals in the water. I've found the vast majority of my PDs on land and when I do the silvers are tarnished but clean up well. Not so when I get them out of salt water - I find they are really difficult to clean. Pennies and half pennies on the other hand are a dull, lightened brown out of the water and not corroded, unlike the ones I dig up on land locally. I guess the ones out of the water are starved of oxygen, meaning they don't corrode. However, even after a few days in the air, the ones in the pic are starting to develop green spots.

1584263448_img_20200315_195322.jpg

1584263449_img_20200315_195430.jpg

Best way to clean ocean silver thats heavily caked is to wrap it tightly in foil and drop it in vinegar. Wrap a few layers of foil as it the silver oxide transfers to the foil which eats the foil.

I do rings this way which are so encrusted theres sand trapped in the oxide layer, i leave tthem in over night. For a coil you'd leave it a few hours and see if it loosens up the crust

Oh and how much does that ring weight? Can't fake gravity.

Perth Tim said:
Best way to clean ocean silver thats heavily caked is to wrap it tightly in foil and drop it in vinegar. Wrap a few layers of foil as it the silver oxide transfers to the foil which eats the foil.

I do rings this way which are so encrusted theres sand trapped in the oxide layer, i leave tthem in over night. For a coil you'd leave it a few hours and see if it loosens up the crust

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try.

It's about 3g. Should be about 5g at that size. So, yep, another indicator that it's not gold. It rang up a TID of 2 on the Nox so I thought gold initially. I think stainless steel and titanium give off low numbers like that too.

Clodmaster said:
Perth Tim said:

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try.

It's about 3g. Should be about 5g at that size. So, yep, another indicator that it's not gold. It rang up a TID of 2 on the Nox so I thought gold initially. I think stainless steel and titanium give off low numbers like that too.

Yep it'll be titanium, I think stainless is heavier. 3g is way too light if I zoom right in I can see silver metal in places. I'd say atleast 5g minimum for gold, that little 10k ring I found the other day would be less than 1/2 the size and it was 2g

Another tip for silver rings is use the foil to polish the ring, it'll make it shine really good. I wouldn't do that to a coin though it might take off detail, just the chemical reaction to get the worse of the crust off so you can see the coin is what you want

Out and about for a quick swing at the beach last night. Gold in the scoop, so very happy with that. Got a nice little 9ct signet ring with a blue stone in it. It only weighs 1.27g so it's quite petite. Also found the usual abundance of 5 cent pieces at this site - it's almost like someone has deliberately scattered them. I've ordered waterproof headphones, so looking forward to getting out a bit further in coming months to see what I can find. All the best. Clod.

1584563842_img_20200319_065632.jpg

1584563842_img_20200319_065751.jpg

Perth Tim said:
Clod if you're picking up gold rings on a beach like this you'll be a weapon with waterproof headphones

I hope so, Tim. I've reached the limit of relying on the Nox's speaker at the beach. I almost missed that ring btw, a very faint TID of 2 and quite deep down at a shell layer below the sand.

Two swings on the weekend - one at the beach (top part of photo) and the other inland (bottom part of photo) at an old favourite spot.

The beach didn't produce anything special, though did find a few more goldies than normal.

The inland spot produced a chain. Not sure where this is from - a fob watch maybe. Any idea folks? Also found a couple of badges - I'm not sure what the 'VHQ Carnival' one relates to. There's a cuff link as well I think and plenty of bullet casings. Oh and an old thrip that must be 1870s I think (looking at the Viccy head) but the date is worn off.

All up, nothing super special but good to be out in the open air. Clod.

1584914702_img_20200323_071054.jpg

1584914702_img_20200323_071208.jpg

1584914702_img_20200323_071303.jpg

Hiyall. Not a lot of action of late. Found a ring (stainless steel) and earring on a beach hunt. Then a badge (Smile Away - think it was a tobacco brand), leaf brooch, and some pre-decimals at my local park'ish spot. My favourite is the Viccy sixpence.

I have some sad news though. The Nox has taken water and has been sent off for repair under warranty (though it'll be a replacement job). I had it submerged for a few hours during that beach hunt and now there's clearly water under the screen. No electronic products are perfect - the test for me is how quickly Minelab send me back a new unit (and whether it happens again!).

1585537552_img_20200330_135009.jpg

Latest posts