Finds from Perth

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little update on that hunt - I had a crap signal from a little rock pocket and decided against turning on the camera. Well out popped 2 rings at once, but I wrote them off as junk as they were both well crusted over. When I inspected one of them I noticed hall marks on the inside so I wrapped it in tin foil and dropped it into the vinegar bucket over night.

Well bugger me, it's a sterling ring with a 14k gold heart! I think the sea had encrusted around the gold due to the silver it's joined to. the silver took a bit of polishing but the crud peeled right off the gold and it was shining right away

So the total for this hunt was 1 950, 1 925+14k, 1 junk ring and $4.50 in change. It just goes to show you need to dig everything as I almost swam away from that signal.

1583220155_20200303_145440.jpg

So you're back on the gold! Was only a matter of time.

The video is great viewing. Are you using a tank or one of those hookah systems?

Clodmaster said:

The video is great viewing. Are you using a tank or one of those hookah systems?

Nope just the internal tank (holding my breath). I'm steadily building up my capacity through practise.
One thing I've found is reviewing my video's has helped me pin point a few mistakes and improve. This weekend I plan on giving the 6 inch coil a go underwater and target those smaller rock pockets.

I can't believe the amount of lead and rubbish like batteries I've found, it's pretty disgusting really.

Nice finds PT

The sound seems to travel well through the water, do you know if the NoXs inbuilt speaker is audible without headphones underwater ?

Keep up the good work on the Keep Australia Beautiful front O:)

Great find on the ring, yes it is a worry regarding the amount of lead deposited off the shore over the years. I have the same thoughts on the freshwater lakes I detect with the same lead issue - and to think the townships use the water for drinking etc.

Wally69 said:
Nice finds PT

The sound seems to travel well through the water, do you know if the NoXs inbuilt speaker is audible without headphones underwater ?

Keep up the good work on the Keep Australia Beautiful front O:)

Yes you can hear it but it's not loud and you want to hear those low gold tones. You could put it on 2 tones and crank it right up I guess. The sound on the video is deceptively loud because the mic on the gopro is really good, I can't hear half the stuff when I'm doing the detecting I hear on the videos. You can hear the noise out of my headphones because it's all attached to my head but with the sound coming out of the control box it's at arms length.

Perth Tim said:
Clodmaster said:

Nope just the internal tank (holding my breath). I'm steadily building up my capacity through practise.
One thing I've found is reviewing my video's has helped me pin point a few mistakes and improve. This weekend I plan on giving the 6 inch coil a go underwater and target those smaller rock pockets.

I can't believe the amount of lead and rubbish like batteries I've found, it's pretty disgusting really.

I'm impressed you can hold your breath for that long. Is there a practical limit in terms of water depth that you can work in that way? The shallower the easier I suppose.

If there's no waves or chop i can manage 3m which is all the nox can do, as it gets rougher i need to be able to stand or you run out of puff trying to stay afloat plus catch your breath for the next dive down.
Sometimes i just stand on the nox to get a break.

Nice work, Tim. You're on a roll with the rings! I think this one beats the heart ring you found last time.

I think that you are the new star of this forum no doubt annoying plenty of the older stagers well done keep rubbing salt (gold) into that wound :lol:

I did a quick 3 hours this morning as I wanted to check out how the cut at the beach was going. Lots of sand has moved off the beach but it's still got some more to go I think and the water was super murky so not great conditions. I thought the session was a bust until I got home and dropped the crusty coins in the vinegar bucket. I gave one of them a light tap and 5mm of green crust came off, and out popped a 1956 florin!
I've never found a pre decimal silver before, so the beach must be getting right down to some deep levels I've not detected. Hoping there's gold in there to!

1584160609_20200314_121436.jpg

Cheers, although it looks like the nox has packed it in yet again. Sending it back to minelab tomorrow as it's not charging and making a funny crackling sound.
Pretty annoying, if there's a cheap alternative I'm temped to bu y one as a backup

That sucks Tim. Do you think it's water damage?

I was thinking about a Nokta Macro Simplex for a backup. Waterproof to 3m like the Nox.

It started making the crackling sound as soon as i went in the water so I'd say so. Funny thing is I've done heaps of water hunting with it prior and i wasn't deep so maybe it was just it's time.

It'd be great if there was a go pro style super suit for it as an extra layer of protection.

Latest posts