Chinese coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any Chinese coils. A friend of mine had an 18" nf copy for his 4500 before upgrading to the 7k and he reckons it was as good as any genuine coil.
I was hoping someone else could shed some light on them.
Cheers

I doubt it.proberbly worked but its just a cheap nock off and inferior product.Stay away.plus we don't won't that crap coming through into our country.sorry for the blunt reply I tryed to keep it clean

I figured as much. Although I wonder if this is actually the case given that a coil is a fairly simple item to manufacture. All the wire probably comes from China anyway. Don't be sorry mate, I wanted honest opinions. However it would be good to get an opinion from someone with some experience relating to the matter.
Cheers

I have tried buying lithium batteries direct from China on a couple of occasions for my oher hobby. I have found they don't read my emails properly and/or misunderstand them. You state what you need and they try to flog you something else. Then you try again, and they never stop spamming you with totally irrelevent offers. I kid you not. Never again. I just buy locally. However, I do buy some cheap Chinese electronics parts direct off eBay. Only problem with that is often their documentation is missing or useless.

I don't read Chinese, so I can't totally blame them. But I with these factories would employ clerks who really read and understand English; not f*ckwits who may think they can (or may pretend they can).

Everything is made in china, the electrical components to build our detectors, tvs, cars, fridges etc. Doesnt matter where its made, its got china inside. I buy chinky gear from ebay, the service is good, best price, but do your checks, as to the suitability of the product. The chinese in theory, and in practice could build a good coil. I would steer clear, of the ones using a well known brand....prob an inferior knock-off.

Thanks walshie I think if the Chinese wanted to make coils that's fine they may work OK??? But they don't get the stringent fuild testing you would expect on Australian soils buy company's wanting to put out the best coil with latest technology and testing put into them.the biggest issue I have is when they rip off another companys name and try to pass of counterfeit products.to the unsuspecting.if they are serious about getting into the market like they do with other electronic equipment. ie.TV's smartphone, ect.ect.I would strongly recommend them using there own brand name.for example hyoushi coils or something similar.at least you know exactly where your standing when your making the purchase.and as for the knockoffs if I ever seen one out in the bush I would snap it over a rock and run.....

I agree with you, K Man. It would be great if they used their own names on the products. The problem is, they'd probably be scared to.
'

Thanks for the replys guys. Appreciate the feedback. I agree that there is some great stuff made in China. I agree with you kman. It boils my piss when they make counterfit product . I feel sorry for the guys who have purchased detectors thinking they are genuine. Even though this is something I would never do, you've gotta feel for those silly enough to purchase these items thinking they are legitimate and paying a premium for something we all know is sub par. Considering coils are very simple to make I don't think there would be such a gap with performance. Its not like a coil relies on sophisticated electronics like a detector for instance.
I don't like taking unnecessary risk when buying something that I want/need to perform. I think I'll stick with the big names in fear of getting an Inferior product.

Its all in the windings my friend and other things like the nuggetfinder litz wire that coiltek now use too.plenty of cheap second hand coils on flee bay and Gumtree from minelab coiltek and nuggetfinder that would way surpass any cheap nock off. :D

Myself and another bloke lost our jobs at Nugget Finder because of Chinese knock offs.......
Was a great place to work too.

But in saying that i understand we are not all rich and buying cheap is sometimes our only option....shame its like that though.

Mate I know the feeling. I was made redundant at Xmas time due to not being able to compete with the overseas market. Its a shame we get charged so much here for everything, its no surprise that manufacturing of any kind here is struggling.

And don't buy coils second-hand from Gumtree and believe they're genuine unless you can check the original buyer's receipt. This is especially important if you buy an expensive Minelab detector.

We know there are cheap Chinese knock-offs around. It's no bargain when you think you're getting a $6,000 machine for just $3,000 to eventually find you got a poorly-made Chinese VLF detector and not a pulse-induction PI detector.

You may have some protection if you use eBay and pay with Paypal, that's because Paypal is owned by eBay. They also own Gumtree now, but with Gumtree you are left completely on your own. :eek:

Buyer beware! :mad:

Good advice mate. If buying a minelab make sure you verify the serial number. Its a quick phone call to minelab customer service. I recently went through this process when buying a 45, well worth checking for obvious reasons.
From what I understand coils have serial number as well that can be checked? Although I imagine these stickers would be much easier to copy than those on the detector.

If the Chinese coils were any good then you have to ask why they try to sell them using other manufacturers branding. The answer is that they are shite, substandard ripoffs.
If they were as good as NF, Coiltek, Detech, Minelab etc. then they would have a market for them under their own branding as competition to the well known brands. The mere fact that they choose to make copies, not a product in its own right, suggests that they are only trying to cash in on other companies good standing & known products by offering shite dressed up as chocolate - not produce something to rival them or create legitimate competition.

I am inclined to think the same thing. However an experienced detectorist that I know tried one and claimed it was excellent. I'm sure there is varying quality of the Chinese crap as well.
I supposed we will be left to wonder unless anyone has had experience using them/comparing them.

I'm old enough to remember the goods sold from Japan back in the 60s and 70s, they were pretty ordinary. It took them a couple of decades to get it right and realise that cheap and poor quality was not going to compete with American and European goods in those areas. Now, Japanese quality is second to none, Korea is nearly there, China still has a way to go and India is further back.

As these countries experience affluence and wages increases, the manufacturing machines of the world will look for cheaper labour i.e Bangladesh and when Asia is exhausted, I reckon Africa will be next.

At the end of the day, it's up to us, the consumer, to decide what we buy and where from........

walshie1000 said:
Mate I know the feeling. I was made redundant at Xmas time due to not being able to compete with the overseas market. Its a shame we get charged so much here for everything, its no surprise that manufacturing of any kind here is struggling.

why are we struggling ?

because we like a good pay rate
we like to have holiday pay
we like to have sick pay
we like to have penitaly rates

we need all this to support the life styles we have become accustom to !

this reflects in the price we pay for 'quality' gear

think about this next time ya buy cheap shit from the internet and wonder why lots of people are heading for the dole que ;)

Doctor said:
walshie1000 said:

why are we struggling ?

because we like a good pay rate
we like to have holiday pay
we like to have sick pay
we like to have penitaly rates

we need all this to support the life styles we have become accustom to

We also pay alot more for food, transport, housing, and are heavily taxed.

Latest posts