caught a thief today!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys
just had to tell my story, sorry if its not relevant,
im at work at the moment,
a couple of guys come into my store
walking around looking at stuff,

one started acting a bit suspect
ducking behind TV's and such so he wouldnt be seen by the camera's
and the whole time they are doing this im looking at the security system
notice that the guy hiding ( acting suss ) is trying to steal blu ray dvd's

i walk out and say ok time for you to give me back what you have and get the f out
he acts like nothing was going on like nah i dont have i dont have ( asian )
i grabbed his motorcycle hemlet and sure as eggs blu ray discs fall out

he tried to swing on me with his helmet, i kinda needed to defend myself at this stage
so one quick clean right hook ( KO ) police just took him away
so thats my entertain story for the day
thanks for letting me vent
drys ;)

Wow, dry horrors, I commend you.

However, I know a person who recently experienced something similar as to yourself, he is now facing assault and false arrest (something like that).

Old mate criminal claims he was using his bag just to carry items around the store and had every intention to pay. He hadn't left the store so he had no intent to steal the items. He was assaulted and held in the shop unlawfully until police arrived.

Solicitors have requested an out of court settlement of over $30,000

True story, I shit you not.

I would go to jail before I would pay.. :)
Lambs73 said:

However, I know a person who recently experienced something similar as to yourself, he is now facing assault and false arrest (something like that).

Old mate criminal claims he was using his bag just to carry items around the store and had every intention to pay. He hadn't left the store so he had no intent to steal the items. He was assaulted and held in the shop unlawfully until police arrived.

True story, I shite you not.

And one other thing is that a lot of shops exaggerate the figures for theft/shoplifting... sell for cash and write it off as stolen and claim the loss on their tax..... :eek:

thanks lamb
i think im safe mate, its all on camera and the police have seen the footage of him removing said items from their case's
and placing them into a motorcycle helmet therefore stealing
and then me confronting and him having a go at me with his helmet

self defense, no problems here
:)

dryhorrors said:
thanks lamb
i think im safe mate, its all on camera and the police have seen the footage of him removing said items from their case's
and placing them into a motorcycle helmet therefore stealing
and then me confronting and him having a go at me with his helmet

self defense, no problems here
:)

Good onya mate, to many scum cry foul after the fact, I'm glad everything was caught on camera.

dryhorrors said:
hi guys
just had to tell my story, sorry if its not relevant,
im at work at the moment,
a couple of guys come into my store
walking around looking at stuff,

one started acting a bit suspect
ducking behind TV's and such so he wouldnt be seen by the camera's
and the whole time they are doing this im looking at the security system
notice that the guy hiding ( acting suss ) is trying to steal blu ray dvd's

i walk out and say ok time for you to give me back what you have and get the f out
he acts like nothing was going on like nah i dont have i dont have ( asian )
i grabbed his motorcycle hemlet and sure as eggs blu ray discs fall out

he tried to swing on me with his helmet, i kinda needed to defend myself at this stage
so one quick clean right hook ( KO ) police just took him away
so thats my entertain story for the day
thanks for letting me vent
drys ;)

yeaaaaaaaaaah...love it! :cool:

Think there millions Aussies stealing blu ray dvd's online its just a click off the mouse I wonder why someone would go to a shop .

self defense covers you on that one

i heard of a case though where a burglar fell through a roof and broke his hip during the commissioning of the crime

he sued the factory owner and won

go figure

Good goin' I would give him a one, two' as well the minute he lifted that helmet! Good on ya I love it when they get what they need and the cops did there job now he has the judge to answer to I hope he's a real prick!! Lol

Very shady area that one.
If the goods have not left the store/premises the theft is not complete.
Even when the goods leave the premises you have to prove that the "crook" had the intent to permanently deprive the owner
of the goods.
Realistically, that can only be proven by admissions.
Sad but true.

kawman said:
I would go to jail before I would pay.. :)
Lambs73 said:

True story, I shite you not.

So would I!

I worked in Retail at Australia's largest Retailer for around 5 years.

Our training was simple. If a customer is carrying something concealed on their person in store a staff member had to
witness this then that staff member had to follow and make sure goods were still being concealed until they left the
building.

Once they leave the building then the apprehension can be made and Police called.

Normally this is carried out by a loss prevention officer who then calls for staff members help using a special in store code that goes
staff members understand over the PA system.

I have experienced some of the most amazing and creative ways how people conceal stuff on their person I would of not thought of.

Nice work confronting them but Redfin is right in that he hadn't 'completed' the crime of theft as he hasn't left the building without making any reasonable attempts to pay.

he claimed he did not have the items and then tried to hit you closed case he most likely has done it before record always catches up with scum like this and good hit ;)

I think this kind of story just highlights what's wrong with our system. Good bloke goes to work pays taxes and yet can get sued by lowlife Stealing items, never intending to pay yet probably gets a slap on the wrists because of mental issues. ...... Well its not exactly how it's played out but its like that these days. Sorry to have a whine. Old mate seeing stars, priceless.

thanks for the comments guys
i spoke with my boss about it today and he said i done the right thing

so at the end of the day crime dont pay lol
least i got some of that anger out might be my new anger management course to work on
haha self defending against thieving scumbags

HH
drys :D

Latest posts