Who else is scared (terrified) of dentists?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, had a filling removed and replaced the other day. The whole time I was telling the dentist that I thought it was the top molar that was the problem, but she insisted it was the lower one.
The cold water from the drill was hurting my top teeth.
Went back on Friday, different dentist.
Explained what was happening and I was still in pain. She sat me in the chair and did a cold test. Turns out I have an abcess above my top molar and it's either root canal or extraction.....so extraction it is.....I'm shitting myself, but it has to be done, I've been on antibiotics ,nurofen and panadol since Friday and the pain is pretty bad.
I know I sound like I'm whinging, but really, it's more about the phobia. I realise that there are people out there with real problems.

I get it Dave. It is a real problem mate. You aren't the only one. Phobias are often down played by people who aren't affected. All the best with it. I actually had the exact same decision to make a few years back and went with the extraction to. Mine was a front tooth.

Well, had a filling removed and replaced the other day. The whole time I was telling the dentist that I thought it was the top molar that was the problem, but she insisted it was the lower one.
The cold water from the drill was hurting my top teeth.
Went back on Friday, different dentist.
Explained what was happening and I was still in pain. She sat me in the chair and did a cold test. Turns out I have an abcess above my top molar and it's either root canal or extraction.....so extraction it is.....I'm shitting myself, but it has to be done, I've been on antibiotics ,nurofen and panadol since Friday and the pain is pretty bad.
I know I sound like I'm whinging, but really, it's more about the phobia. I realise that there are people out there with real problems.
Get on the nitrous oxide (laughing gas) it makes a huge difference, totally relaxes you to the point of sleep almost. Wear headphones and play your favourite music, that takes away the associated noises. The benefit of nitrous is you can drive straight after, has no side effects and is gone from your system very quickly.

Get on the nitrous oxide (laughing gas) it makes a huge difference, totally relaxes you to the point of sleep almost. Wear headphones and play your favourite music, that takes away the associated noises. The benefit of nitrous is you can drive straight after, has no side effects and is gone from your system very quickly.
So long as you are over 16 for nangs (appropriate emojis) 🤣🤣🤣

The following effects may be felt almost immediately and can last for a few minutes:
  • euphoria
  • numbness of the body
  • sedation
  • giddiness
  • uncontrolled laughter
  • uncoordinated movements
  • blurred vision
  • confusion
  • dizziness and/or light-headedness
  • sweating
  • feeling unusually tired or weak
  • sudden death.
If a large amount of nitrous oxide is inhaled it can produce:

• loss of blood pressure
  • fainting
  • heart attack.

I'll stick with my pain for now......it does not give me problems like uncontrolled laughter

Go the needle, never any after effects.

The following effects may be felt almost immediately and can last for a few minutes:
  • euphoria
  • numbness of the body
  • sedation
  • giddiness
  • uncontrolled laughter
  • blurred vision
  • confusion
  • sweating
  • sudden death.

• loss of blood pressure
  • fainting
  • heart attack.

I'll stick with my pain for now......it does not give me problems like uncontrolled laughter
.....or sudden death....

A couple of panadol 45 min before you go in and a request to really pump in extra anethetic nice and deep around the problem tooth makes a difference. A fear of needles is actually your enemy when it comes to a root canal. That wont help with the pain of the bill afterwards though.

A couple of panadol 45 min before you go in and a request to really pump in extra anethetic nice and deep around the problem tooth makes a difference. A fear of needles is actually your enemy when it comes to a root canal. That wont help with the pain of the bill afterwards though.
Fear of needles?! No.
Fear of drilling hitting a nerve and not being able to breath as the water from the drill sprays down my throat. I don't breath well through my nose, then there is fear of the $4000 bill for root canal and crown!

Fear of needles?! No.
Fear of drilling hitting a nerve and not being able to breath as the water from the drill sprays down my throat. I don't breath well through my nose, then there is fear of the $4000 bill for root canal and crown!
You must also hate that pink stuff you bite down on that they use to take an impression. I always feel like I am going to choke on it.

Last edited:

• euphoria
  • numbness of the body
  • sedation
  • giddiness
  • uncontrolled laughter
  • blurred vision
  • confusion
  • sweating
  • sudden death.

• loss of blood pressure
  • fainting
  • heart attack.

Cmon Goldie where’s your sense of adventure?

I was over Bendigo way detecting when I had a persistent tooth ache. It was driving me nuts, so I bit the bullet and dropped into a Bendigo dentists. Dentist said a molar had to come out as it had an infection under it. I said hang on, why not try antibiotics first, he reluctantly agreed and prescribed some. 5 days later all was fine and has been since.. that was before covid.

Wheatbix bloody diploma, he's lucky I didnt go back and pull out his tooth!

I was over Bendigo way detecting when I had a persistent tooth ache. It was driving me nuts, so I bit the bullet and dropped into a Bendigo dentists. Dentist said a molar had to come out as it had an infection under it. I said hang on, why not try antibiotics first, he reluctantly agreed and prescribed some. 5 days later all was fine and has been since.. that was before covid.

Wheatbix bloody diploma, he's lucky I didnt go back and pull out his tooth!
Best story in this thread! I'm on anti biotic now, hope I have the same result.

I remember the week before Easter one year with bad toothache. Went to a dentist wanting it pulled out. He convinced me it just needed a filling.

The result was I spent all Easter in agony plotting what I wanted to do to this bastard dentist.

Managed to get an appointment on the Tuesday with a lovely lady dentist elsewhere.

Her first question was "why didnt the idiot just pull the tooth out?"

She was not impressed with his dentistry skills.

The result was instant relief as all pain was gone.

Fear of needles?! No.
Mate buy a $450 return ticket to Viet, root canal and crown $250. My first root canal only was $75 myself and mates been going there for over 10+ years. Does everything on site and last bridge I had done was fitted at 6pm Sunday night 😂

Last edited:
Had a tooth ache years ago just after moving to our new home. Went to Seymour after asking around to find a good dentist. Sat in the chair and he goes out and brings a file back in, telling the nurse to prepare this and that. I'm sitting there and he says so we'll pull out one of your molers. I rip the glasses off sit up and said hang on a minute I'm here for a check up because I have a sore tooth. He says are you RM from this address, no I replied different address same name 😅😅😅 Found a new dentist after that visit so the other RM doesn't have any work performed that I'm meant too 😅

The only fear I've got are the bills, 5 kids plus the wife and I, cost a bit through the years.