care with detectors and lightning

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
it is known that lightning will affect metal detectors

even if the lightning is occuring many miles away you will still get EMI ( interference ) through your machine

I think its worth mentioning for people to be aware to unplug their coil from the detector during lightning storms even if the machine is turned off.

If lightning strikes nearby there is a chance you could get a spike into the machine and blow its guts out just from the EMR in the area around you ( which could be from a hit over 50 - 70 metres away or just a buildup in the clouds above you )

Does anybody know if ANY of the manufacturers include surge / spike protectors on their units ?

I doubt they do have surge guarding. I know that if you unplug and or plug in your coil whilst the machine is turned on it can damage it. I did that once on a 2100 years ago. Forgot it was still on and changed my coil. Had to return it to Minelab to be repaired. I was told that doing it caused a spike. I personally would not detect if lightening was present. Lightening can strike 5 ks ahead of a front or storm. If I hear pings now and then I will keep detecting as the storm can be up to hundreds of ks away. Ill will though stop for two reasons, 1 if the pings are too frequent and make detecting a pain and 2 if I can actually hear the thunder claps. Then its too close to keep detecting safely.

Thanks for that bit of advice - I was on a beach detecting yesterday morning and a storm was brewing.I stayed out on the beach as there was only a lot of thunder and lightning but no rain.Even when it did start it was only a few spots of rain.The AT Pro is waterproof so I kept going for a while, but after this bit of advice and further research on the net, I think I'll pack it up next time.Cheers.

Latest posts