Bloody Insurance companies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a call from one of my mates tonight.

I seams the insurance companies have found another avenue to gouge us again.

He went to renew his rego on this motorbike and was told the insurance company has added another $250 to his green slip.

Apparently if you have any points on your licence this is what they are doing.

He has never had an accident and was charged for having his tailgate down in his ute and obscuring his number plate. (this is because the speed cameras cant see the plate) He had his dirtbike in the back.
$400 + and 3 points.

I don't have any points on my licence but this is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. How can they get away with this.

And you have to pay the extra until you get the points back which is 3 years in NSW.

This sucks big time!!!!!!

I have 3 pet hates in life:- Used car salesmen, Real estate salesmen and insurance companies.
Although I have good friends in all these industries I still hate them with a passion.

Time to change insurance companies. Shop around as this does sound bit rich.
P.S my pet hate are taxi drivers. :D

Beagleboy said:
Time to change insurance companies. Shop around as this does sound bit rich.
P.S my pet hate are taxi drivers. :D
they are all doing it beagleboy, i had the same issue till the points went up to 12. get your missus to register if she's got a clean history

I thought you lost points, not gain them in regard to traffic infringements.??

Also be wary of a "Free Windscreen" on offer in some insurance deals, get them to take it off the price.

It is cheaper to ring a glass replacement firm than pay for it in your insurance as its actually a pay per month deal.

I hate insurance company's, so far I've had 3 accidents and each time it's been cheaper to pay the repair bill in cash then it was for my excess.

Here's something most people don't know.

A few years ago my comprehensive insurance on my caravan was going up each year and by more than I was happy with. So, I rang around and got a couple of quotes for similar cover that were much better.

I then went back to the company I was with to discuss their premium hike. I was very fortunate in getting someone on the phone that was willing to divulge some info I wasn't aware of. Here a few points I found out.

Assume you have a vehicle/van and trade it in on a new one. Don't transfer the policy from the old to the new, because you will pay more. Cancel the old one at close of business on the day you change over and start a new policy at start of business the same day. The premium can be significantly cheaper. The things to ask for are this;

What is the premium transferring old to new? and, what is the premium if I cancel the old and take out a new policy? You will be surprised at the difference.

The second thing to do is, never just pay or auto renew the policy each year. Phone the insurance company, tell them you're not happy with the premium increase for renewal. You will again be pleasantly surprised how they will find further discounts.

My best example was this, I had a Ford Territory for several years, which I traded on a Toyota 4x4 (worth more than twice what the Ford was valued at.) The last premium on the Ford was $49 per month. I asked what the premium would be on the Toyota and was quoted $73 per month. So I asked what the premium was if I cancel the Ford and take out a new policy on the Toyota - they came back with $43 per month, they kept my business.

Saved $30 per month and it was $6 cheaper than my old car. Go figure....... and all of this, without ringing around for several quotes.

Hope this might help others out there.

stevo said:
I thought you lost points, not gain them in regard to traffic infringements.??

Common mis understanding
You have 0 points.
If you get fined 3 points you know how 3 points.

In nsw on a full drivers license once you obtain 13 points you lose your license for 3 months.
Taxi drivers get 1 extra point than others and also don't have to wear seatbelts.

Heres something not everyone is aware of, the Suncorp Group owns most of the Insurance companies in Australia and New Zealand, AAMI, APIA, GIO, Bingle, Just Car Insurance, Shannons, CIL, Insure My Ride, VERO, etc. Its really just one big Insurance company.

In terms of car insurance the only ones left outside their group are the NRMA and RACQ.

Mmmmm,.... must say, except for compulsory third party insurance I have not been insured for anything in any way for at least 25 years,...and I would not have had to make a claim of any sort in that time,... I have not been out of pocket at all,.... don't owe anyone anything,...am still povo anyway, but at least I had my unspent insurance money to help me through these hard times,..(ha)

Try ahh ahhh Alliance insurance,
They seem honest and sincere.
I believe all advertising ;)

Received my insurance renewals the other week for my 2 cars, Prado and XR6 Falcon. The prices they wanted on the renewal sheets were $650 and $712 respectively for comprehensive cover, now I thought that was a bit rich seeing the agreed values have been dropping each year and prices going up. I never ever pay the price on the renewals they send out as they are over inflated and don't make much sense really.

Anyway I called up and told them I was leaving them and going with another company because of the excessive prices they wanted. The bloke on the phone ended up saving me more than $400 on both policies, around $150 on the Prado and about $250 on the Falcon, it cost less than the renewal notice and online quotes.

The thing I've learned is never ever pay the renewal notice until you have done an online quote and called them up also as they can and will save you a lot of money by threatening to go with another company, hope I can save someone from being ripped off and paying more than they should.

It really is unbelievable the amount you can save.

Lol I use to work in motor claims, and people would complain about the prices of policies all the time after lodging claims and so on. They would make the threats of leaving the company and I use to say good luck lol.

But yea they can always make it cheaper by putting you through to their retention teams and what not, and normally they are the Australian consultants to!

i too worked for an insurance company and there can be a few things that will decrease the premium - most insurance companies have lower premiums for lower kilometres or taking market value - also the location in which you live/park the car etc - i recently changed home insurance and have saved around $500 per year! but if you want cheap insurance, buy a motor bike as my insurance is $75 per quarter

I do insurance work.. some insurance companys pay up quickly and get things sorted.. others are absolutely terrible to deal with and very difficult to extract money from when you need a payout.. cheaper insurance is ok as long as you get the same coverage as the more expensive outfits.. read the fine print.. :)

When I bought my house, we financed through the commonwealth bank.
they sold us the wealth package, which included car insurance, comprehensive. It covers $500 worth of personal effects.
Well, last Saturday, whilst out detecting, I had to move my car to re-position it, as I had my car fridge in it and solar panels set up in the back, needed to catch the sun.
I backed up close to a tree, I could see it in my mirrors, but I didn't see one branch, that went through the rear windscreen of my Hilux's canopy.
My bad. When I got out to inspect the damage, at first, I thought, crap, broken windscreen, then I saw my solar panels, shattered and bent, really did a good job.
I rang to make a claim. Comm. insure at first told me that the rear screen wasn't covered, then told me $500 contents were for personal item, and solar panels are not personal items!
Finally, they agreed that the rear screen was covered, but the panels were not. I asked if I had a fishing rod in the back and it was stolen, would that be covered, and the answer was yes, that's a personal item that people would normally have in their car?..!!!
I then explained in detail why I had my panels in the car, and they couldn't cover them , as they are not personal items.
I asked what about a lawn mower? They said yes, that would be covered. Its now gone from one idiot to another idiot to decide if the panels can be covered.....should know in a week or two.....bloody hell! When this is sorted, I'm going with a different company.

Sorry, had to vent. 2nd claim ever, I'm 48 years old. Last one I tail ended a small car, about 1000 damage to them, none to me, easy claim, this time is a nightmare! rear screen is $618 fitted.....excess is 450, will be the last cent comm insure ever get from me. Ive calculated that I've spent about $15,000 on insurance, home, 2 cars, boat and investment property with those idiots, they have lost me.....

Sorry for the rant.

Latest posts