Best big gold area in NSW once .

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No way anyone can get on it these days or any near stations !

I've spoken to a few who did in the past & the stories when crossed checked are mind blowing !
I'd heard about this bloke called Martin from an old Mine-lab dealer George ' back around the early 2000s , said they were mates & got the OK to go detecting on the property before the change of ownership .

Well Martin only bothered to check the big screaming signals as there was almost no junk , Martin power walked and swang his SD2100 fast to cover more ground being only interested in big nuggets .
George then said that he watched Martin struggle back to camp one late afternoon looking like he had hurt himself , reason being was all his pockets were full of gold .

In 2014 I ran into Martin & questioned him about those stories , he not only confirmed them but said he saw a sunbaker that looked like a packet of B&H smokes half buried ,
it was a 106 OZ solid lump !

Found this reference :
http://alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com/thread/3696/best-detecting-site-nsw

More to this area coming ;)

Great vid..... hats off to them. Their success is due to meticulous stock and land management and dependant on maintaining that regime. I can understand why public access for fossicking could be problematic for them.

casper

Agree Casper
After reading some background of when and why they stopped allowing fossickers on their property, its understandable and looks like another case of the selfish few spoiling things for every one else.

As much as I'd like to see Western Lands Leases freed up more for prospecting/fossicking this story highlights the other side of the story. Can definitely see why they were keen to have access restricted there & can understand their reasoning.
Would still like to see access for us too though - maybe some sort of permit/payment + prior notification system with no go zones implemented depending on station activities etc. I'm sure a minority of DH's would find a way to stuff it up still.
Thanks for putting it up Outback.

Western Lands Leases in NSW are Crown Land, the pastoralist does NOT own the ground they own the grass and any improvments like house sheds fences etc.

When NSW got rid of miners rights here it got rid of access to pastoral leases as well.

Any western land lease holder can deny access for prospecting in NSW, I can understand when freehold land that you need permission, but Crown Land, I think the system in NSW sucks where it comes to access to western land leases, and it would be good if NAPFA could eventually get some changes to the system in NSW.

In WA where a lifetime miners right still exists the holder of a miners right has access to pastoral leases to prospect for gold and minerals and this overrides the pastoral holder, there are some pastoralists that want to get rid of this access by a miners right.

cheers dave

Yeah totally agree, I looked at the crown land imagery on this place and it's nearly all crown land except for a small square around the immediate homestead area. But yeah it's all under lease and without permission inaccessible, bit of a shame really that it was ruined for everyone.

Terrible grazing land though but they have obviously made it work.

calling fossickers grubs and dole bludgers is way over the top. i read the government hansard and it never said they stuffed it for everyone ,the landholders just didn't want them anywhere on their 150000 acres , i can understand not wanting anyone near the homestead but theres 150000 acres for crying out loud

nicko61 said:
calling fossickers grubs and dole bludgers is way over the top. i read the government hansard and it never said they stuffed it for everyone ,the landholders just didn't want them anywhere on their 150000 acres , i can understand not wanting anyone near the homestead but theres 150000 acres for crying out loud

I also reckon calling prospectors names like that is way over the top, keeping prospectors of Crown Land / grazing leases is also way over the top.

Fair enough that they have an area of freehold that surrounds the Homestead area that is out of bounds and that should be it.

cheers dave

In the NT, we dont need to ask permission for (a crown land) pastural lease, but must notify the owners in writing that we are coming. In reality, the owners of the lease might be chinese or Indonesian.....so the managment is the way to to go, and they can be obstructive, but also must prove why you cant access the land if they refuse, conditions , must not fossick within 2km of the homestead.there are properties where permission isnt nessesary.

an interesting thread that does highlight the difficulties.

NAPFA would certainly like things to change for the Western Leases - there needs to be a better balance between the requirements of different users.

NAPFA provided comprehensive comments in June 2014 to the NSW Crown Lands Legislation White Paper about matters that are of concern to our members and indeed all fossickers in NSW.

The White Paper set out a range of intended changes in the way that Crown Land is managed in NSW.

By way of background, Crown Land in NSW covers 33 million hectares or 42 per cent of the state. It does not include national parks and state forests. Around 30 million hectares is in the Western Division of NSW which incorporates around 6,500 Western Lands Leases. Town Commons are also included.

The changes seek to simplify the management of Crown Land in NSW and to make sure that a modernised approach to Crown Lands continue to benefit the people of NSW.

However, NAPFA identified a number of important risks which included:
additional ownership rights to Western Lease holders which could make access by fossickers to these areas even more difficult than at present;
potential to get rid of Town Commons which could have a detrimental impact on access in places like Hill End, Tibooburra and Stuart Town just to name a few;
more involvement by local councils who could act parochially and limit access.
Our 10 page submission went into detail about these matters, and highlighted some of the potential economic benefits for regional areas from fossicking tourism.

The Government has delivered its response to the inquiry. Access issues, including maintaining access for fishing and fossicking, were mentioned in relation to the freehold conversion of Western Lands leases. Even getting mentioned in a report like this needs to be considered a win.

Government response and next steps:
Prior to the conversion of Western Lands leases existing third party rights will be identified and protected where appropriate. We have to see what that means in reality.

Also in 2013 we also made a major submission to the NSW Government inquiry into regional tourism and included the following request:

1. That the right to fossick/prospect (with hand tools or detectors) is restored on Western Lands leases in NSW or at least made much easier than it is at the moment.

PS: If you are not a member of NAPFA -- please consider joining as we are working to improve things for you.

Stephen
President
NAPFA

I put in individual submissions, requesting similar to NAPFA, on both those reviews. My submission on Crown Lands Management focused on Western Lands Leases & Town Commons calling for better access to both.
Another area that needs pushing is when State Forests, TSR's, crown land in general etc. get move to National Parks management. These areas should retain any current recreational activities including the right to continue prospecting/fossicking in them. National Parks consider fossicking a form of mining so told me it's not allowable in the areas they manage but laughingly allow full scale mining operations in State Conservation Areas - go figure. A man with a shovel or pick axe banned but draglines, excavators, dozers & road headers welcome.
Joining NAPFA is the best way to support these things & get things out onto the table but assisting with your own thought through & constructive (non-abusive etc.) submissions is a good way to back your association up too.
Steve & committee do a good job & deserve our support.

Great thread guys.

And thanks to NAPFA, and others, putting in submissions about such issues.

I am a member of NAPFA (and PMAV and APLA) as I believe that collectivism is one of the best (but not the only way of course as individual submissions can be pretty powerful too if there are enough) ways of getting our voices heard and views taken on board and perhaps even agreed with. As with detecting - persistence, perseverance and patience (and research).

Well done guys, 1st I've heard of NAPFA, it seems strange the the states can determine how the Crowns land can be managed.

Who actually owns Crown Lands ?

Imagine if these areas were accessible for the small time prospector , all that would be needed is an old SD2000 to score big time

:D

Latest posts