Beautiful little nug with the AT Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymetal

Luke Atkins
Reaction score
Went back to one of my old spots yesterday and tried a new approach. I detected all the bits that had blackberries or bush on them and picked up this little beauty. .7 grams. Was with the 11 x 8 DD about 6 inches down. It came up as a 4 with a little bit of grunt with the iron audio on. When I scraped the top back it came up as a 27 and then when I got closer it was 37 - 44 on the ID. Still has a small amount of grunt on the iron audio even when I cleaned it. I will go back there with the rake now and see if I can get some more. Diggings there are shallow and might even be worth digging my own shaft for a look !
IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Well done mate. It sounds like your onto a ripper of a spot there.

I never get sick of seeing your finds with the AT Gold so hopefully you'll have more to show real soon.

WOW A 4?!? you really weren't kidding when you said check EVERY target were ya? 8)

I'll be checking those ridiculously low numbers from now on :lol:

I would never have thought to investigate a 4 or anything under 20/ish really, but you learn something everyday.

That's cool to see, nice nugget, I have just ordered an AT Gold, my very first metal detector, has not turned up in the mail yet but will be here soon. Hope I have luck like that, must remember to dig every signal. :)

HM, I'm getting my head around my AT Gold and one of the signals I get that has me scratching my head is, have the detector set in all medal mode, 80% sensitivity and no iron audio, I get a signal with very low numbers (2 - 4) and when doing continuous sweeps over the area sometimes it will read 00. I scrape the top off and signal doesn't get any stronger, I then rake out about an inch of soil and run the detector again, sometimes I loose the whole signal and sometimes it seems to move backwards into untouched ground.
I'm assuming it may be hot rocks but if so why at times can I loose the signal 8.(

Do you or other AT users experience the same thing at times

PS. this mostly happen when detecting old mine diggings.

The detector is most likely picking up on a change in soil conditions, it happens to me also. As a test, ground balance near the signal (not on it) and swing over it again, if the signal goes away then move on, otherwise dig, dig, dig.

Arwon said:
HM, I'm getting my head around my AT Gold and one of the signals I get that has me scratching my head is, have the detector set in all medal mode, 80% sensitivity and no iron audio, I get a signal with very low numbers (2 - 4) and when doing continuous sweeps over the area sometimes it will read 00. I scrape the top off and signal doesn't get any stronger, I then rake out about an inch of soil and run the detector again, sometimes I loose the whole signal and sometimes it seems to move backwards into untouched ground.
I'm assuming it may be hot rocks but if so why at times can I loose the signal 8.(

Hi arwon,

did you want the video that came with the AT gold, it has a section on ground balancing densely mineralised soil with the at gold, if you don't want to sit though the whole video here is the section that concentrates just on ground balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9Ar1LONGc

Regards

jason

jason78 said:
Arwon said:

Hi arwon,

did you want the video that came with the AT gold, it has a section on ground balancing densely mineralised soil with the at gold, if you don't want to sit though the whole video here is the section that concentrates just on ground balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE9Ar1LONGc

Regards

jason

Jason, many thanks.. That is exactly the noise I'm getting.

No worries, AT gold has allot of functions you have to learn, even when i am doing training for customers, it turns out to be a four hour training session.

regards

jason

Arwon said:

Yeh mate I get that a lot too. It is normally a hot rock or hot ground. Is it a really horrible "bouncy" signal? The AT Gold will struggle a bit on that highly minerized ground. If the ground is really hot I run the GB window at 6 and normally manually balance a couple of points above what the auto balance comes up at. If you move back on to quieter ground then balance the machine again. You have to remember that the AT doesn't just balance itself like a lot of the other detectors do. As a rule if the signal doesn't improve as you dig then you are a chasing hot ground. Also a good target will normally sound the same left to right as it does right to left. A bad target (or hot rock) will sound different each way. Heaps of the gold I have found has started out as a low signal (4-10) on the ID then if it comes up higher once I have began to dig then I continue to dig the target. If the signal remains as low numbers then I normally walk away but if you're not sure then dig it anyway. It is important when starting out to dig every target just to get used to what different targets sound like. Also don't totally rely on the iron audio as a lot of nuggets will give that iron grunge sound. It is a good idea to buy or borrow a nugget and practice finding it.

Latest posts