Bathurst/Lithgow area day trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have to rethink this one until it clears up, no fun in the mud.
Looks like a big front pushing up through VIC on the radar.

Hopefully next week will be clear.

Good idea Heatho....ground balancing in mud can be challenging at the best of times..and the little nugs wont run away...Cheers Wal. :)

Agreed 100%. Another good reason not to get soaked and freezing. I noticed on
the really wet parts of the beaches GB is nearly impossible.

Oh well bring on some rain, we need it, it's even extremely dry around here.

hi guys, I have been detecting for about 4 months now and i have been hanging to get out sofala way with my Xterra 705 dual and find some gold but its always been a case of not knowing good places to go! I used to ride dirt bikes out at Sofala for years and never considered gold hunting!

Anyway want to get my kids out there one day too!

Is there any trouble out there like guys watching you and knocking u on the head to take your findings?? I wonder what the laws are for carrying a shotty ;) best to feel safe i say.

Any way hope to get out there detecting one day! thanks for the info on this site, its great!

Heh jaskel,

The last time i looked Sofala was in this country they call "Australia", and that's a long, long, way from the "Wild West" of America. Spent 50 years in every corner of the country, and never had a bad experience out in the bush.

You'll have more need for your "shotty" at the end of your street once the pubs close. That's where the "Wild West" gets out of control.

Cheers Wal, :)

Jaskel been out Sofala way a couple of times & its a friendly place. Locals are good but I was advised not to ask where the gold is as all they're gonna tell ya is everywhere! :D Get a copy of Doug Stones map for Sofala/Wattle Flat. Plenty of areas to try - need to get back there soon myself.

mbasko said:
Jaskel been out Sofala way a couple of times & its a friendly place. Locals are good but I was advised not to ask where the gold is as all they're gonna tell ya is everywhere! :D Get a copy of Doug Stones map for Sofala/Wattle Flat. Plenty of areas to try - need to get back there soon myself.

The locals keep asking me and get the same answer :lol:
The doug stone maps have put me near the gold
But never on it
And the book is useless for our area
But everywhere else it's full of detail
And reckon you couldn't go wrong
From what I've looked at in other areas further away
You could find gold blindfolded with the detail
But none for the central west :(
I've never had a problem with any locals
But don't hang around the towns :)
I'm to busy head down bum up :)

Lbg dreamer said:
The doug stone maps have put me near the gold
But never on it

Yeah no doubt - imagine how many people have them now & go to the places marked! Some places now have locked gates, land status change etc. too so you can't even get in there now.

I use various printed maps & books to get info such as the Doug Stone maps, local history books, mine data sheets etc. for areas to check out cross referencing with Minview, ArcGIS etc. in hope of finding those "in between" areas - places that may have had some previous attention in days gone by but aren't necessarily marked on a map & being run over every other day (or hopefully, in my dreams :p , a previously undiscovered area). :D

Even though new to the game I have been checking these "in between" areas out & have found 2 x areas of old diggings that aren't marked on any online or printed maps that I have seen. There have been some signs of detectors about but they appear to be relatively "quite" compared to other places I've been.

The research is all part of the hunt! ;) - Jaskel if you had access to land to ride dirt bikes then you may have already been on good ground for detecting? Who knows - research where you have been or if you can still get on there give it a go. Ya never know & getting out there is the best research you can do in my opinion. Like Lbg says the maps etc. will put you near it but not necessarily on it.

I reckon there is still heaps out there, just need to get off the beaten path.

Access to private property seems like the key in a lot of areas. Anyone keen to rent 1000 acres somewhere with me for a year or 2? :)

Hmmm maybe a fossickers commune, like a hippie commune..... but not. :)

I reckon Wal's post the other day about checking out geological boundaries is the way to find the real untouched places, if accesable.

Heatho said:
Hmmm maybe a fossickers commune, like a hippie commune..... but not. :)

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: Yeah for diggers not dopers.

Heatho said:
I reckon Wal's post the other day about checking out geological boundaries is the way to find the real untouched places, if accesable.

Yep have had some experienced people tell me similar. I just got the metallogenic maps + mine data sheets for my area which show geological boundaries, faults, mineralisation, mineral deposits, form of orebody, size, host rock etc. Still getting my head around it all but can see the benefit in understanding this!

Apologies - we are completely off topic now!! :p

Did you find the maps you can overlay on google earth? With the gold deposit data Nugget uploaded and the geological maps overlayed it really opens your eyes as to all the gold deposits right on these boundaries. Also opens your eyes to how many potential deposits are there also.

Can't wait to get my 4x4 to start checking out some of these harder to get to places.

Latest posts