Basic Metal Detecting Kit.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi what do people think is required for a days Metal detecting, basic set-up and why?
Number 1 would have to be a metal detector of course, but from there what do people take with them for a days prospecting.

regards hounddog

Hound dog. Take a few zip lock bags for your finds, a sample piece of gold to test the earth , magnifying glass , pinpointer ,scoop,miner`s right ( A must ) , a magnet to test for metal ,spare batteries, a small medical kit of some kind, water for cleaning or drinking and a snuffer bottle for those fine bits.

FOZ

Thanks for the replies just starting to put my kit together, already go some of my stuff together , was just wondering what everyone else carries,

One of the best investments I made recently was a multi-pouch tool belt and additional hammer holder for holding the pick. I also added another pouch to hold my booster and some accessories. One of pouches I keep my scoop, another for rubbish, another for keepers, etc. All from Bunnings. :Y:

Personal locator beacon, gps, uhf radio, 2l water, protien bar, first aid kit, space blanket. The most important thing is what you leave behind - a map and return time with someone to raise an alarm

Essentially assume your day will turn into a night and your in trouble.

I have got a multi pocket ( zips and Velcro ) Katmandu vest with a buckle up the top to hang stuff on with clips . I clip my scoop and pinpointer and sometimes the pan on this . Cost $50 second hand . $150 new. Has big lower pockets and a lot of smaller ones on the chest . Also has a zip on each side at the back . Good for carrying big stuff .

what all have said before. 1 addition. suspenders and belt. if you hang your keys and pick on your belt you are constantly hitching up your pants.... i got a set of makita ones.
you can yous a detecting harness and attach it to pants but i didn't find that setup as good.

Otherwise, what part of AUst are you planning to detect? what is your budget? are you fit (can you hold a detector and swing for 6 hours without assistance)? Are you new to detecting? have you done it before?

If you haven't done before, i would reccomend you try a day out with mates, or pay for a 2 day "tour" . Many good tour operators. Darren camp was best of the 3 i tried.

Some people don't like detecting when they first try and would prefer highbanking/crevacing. If you are one of these people it would have been soilly to have bought a detector....

From Melbourne heading around Ballarat area, In the past did a lot of camping in state forest etc, Looking at picking up a Gold monster in the next couple of weeks.

One of the most important items to have is a decent pair of boots
I use the Oliver non metallic work boots and they are great. They give the foot and ankle great protection

I have seen people out detecting in crocks and thongs, an accident waiting to happen. :eek:

20 buck tool belt fits all

1566890785_me1.jpg

Balmain Bob said:
One of the most important items to have is a decent pair of boots
I use the Oliver non metallic work boots and they are great. They give the foot and ankle great protection

I have seen people out detecting in crocks and thongs, an accident waiting to happen. :eek:

Same boot for me ,too.

hounddog said:
Hi what do people think is required for a days Metal detecting, basic set-up and why?
Number 1 would have to be a metal detector of course, but from there what do people take with them for a days prospecting.

regards hounddog

Gday

What you have to remember first and foremost is that you might only intend to detect for a short time and may not think its necessary to carry too much with you but if anything goes wrong or you get lost then you will be very glad that you have your kit with you, its easy to attach pouches to your minelab harness for extras, but if you prefer you can make yourself up a backpack for these extra items, but whatever you do make sure that you have your water and gps with you always.

My set has everything attached to the harness, water bottle, gps, plb, radio, first aid kit, whistle, I have another pouch attached to the harness battery pouch that contains the first aid kit, spare batteries, compass, mirror, lighter, waterproof matches, and so on.

Also you can stash things like a plastic bag and emergency blanket or poncho in between the detectors control box and protective cover, I have also been caught in a downpour and have used the poncho and bags to cover myself and the detector box as well.

It seems like a lot of gear but if you distribute it around the harness then you wont really notice it much, the other thing is to look for items that are compact so they weigh less and take up less space, but are functional should the need for them arise, you may never need them but if you do then like I said you will be very pleased that you have these things with you as they could possibly save your life.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts