Back from Tibooburra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We got back from Tibooburra mid afternoon today. Had a great time up there. Cold (but wamer than Canberra) and windy and yes the flies were still there when the wind died. Camped in the bush for a week. Saw the Russian satellite streak across the sky with colour and soundless explosions.

On the gold front, as a group we found 49 bits this year (last year the group I was with only got 7 - but averaging larger by a fair margin), largest was by a newbie with his first bit that weighed in with 1.3g. The rest averaged around 0.2 to 0.25g. Another newbie got 5 bits while sharing her husband's detector. The hubby got 7. My wife got 3. I managed 32 bits (7.5g) plus my first ironstone speccy giving 33 bits. Detrackozi gave me a tip for a couple of areas and I managed 6 bits (group got 7 all up) in a little over 6 hours all up. I really need to get back to those areas.

I also picked up 2 pre decs: an 18xx 3d and a 1910 6d with good nick on the crest side but a little poor on the head side.

A few pics are attached.
1405855461_p1020180_sml.jpg

1405855506_p1020181_sml.jpg

1405855534_p1020150_sml.jpg
- I got 10 bits off this little patch.
1405855565_p1020152_sml.jpg
- a deep hole for rusty wire.
1405855591_p1020143_sml.jpg

1405855617_p1020158_sml.jpg

1405855633_p1020174_sml.jpg
- Cameron Corner

Well done bud the finds look great! iv got a trip planned in the next month or so then another late in the year gota love those flys'

Where do you stay out there? Are there cabins at a caravan park in town or shearers quarters on the property you prospect on? Is there a grocery store?

Kidbeey said:
Where do you stay out there? Are there cabins at a caravan park in town or shearers quarters on the property you prospect on? Is there a grocery store?

Hi Kidbeey - there are two caravan parks, one in town and the other out. If you need power you need to stay in The Granites caravan park in town. The major road house, TJs, owns that caravan park. The other caravan park is just out of town on the northside and is owned by the local indigenous corp. I understand that their facilities are more modern but do not have powered sites.
Both Stations that allow detecting (for a fee) will allow camping on their stations. You need to be self sufficient. One station (Mt Stuart Stn) may allow you to stay near their shearing shed which I think has a donkey shower.
There are two "grocery" shops (and two pubs) as well as other accommodation options. Just google Tibooburra.

Hi Dean
Thanks.
Yes - most from there. The land holder will give you a map with the run of gold. Unfortunately I was unable to speak with the EL holder for further tips but they were happy for us to get onto their lease.
Good luck!

Detectorist ... Great finds .. you tempt me to go back for another crack at Tiboo' .. If you went up via the Silver City Hwy how was the road ... the last time I came home from there it was so corrigated that we managed to rattle the door of the fridge .. pop open a window which then allowed bull dust to fill the entire van... we swore that we would never do that stretch of road again.. .. I have a weak spot for the Tiboo and I bet I will make it back there ... wondering if my putting new suspension on the 4bee next Tuesday has anything to do with future plans.

Cheers Peter

And .. Dean if you get to read this before you return .... Good Luck.

Gday fellas,

Just returned from Tiboo. What an awesome spot. The gold is fun but the scenery and the town is great as well.

I think finding your first gold is pretty unreal as well.

Thanks for the tips.

I ended up finding 22 bits and the ol man did similar. I used 4800 with a 8" mono and the ol man used the 5000 with an 11" mono.

Nothing of much size but it didn't really matter.

1406542134_image.jpg

Dean - you and your Dad did really well! You were only there a few days. Great work.

Dreamwalking - we went across from Bourke and on our return left the Silver City Hwy to return via White Cliffs. Both have corrugations and the Cut Line has some sand but quite manageable for our vehicles and off-road trailers. Your new suspension will help a lot I suspect.

DeanMamilton ... WOW that is super ... terrific find ... Wish I had been there .. All I can say is .. looks like you have got the settings right and they repaid you well on your first trip.
How long before you go again..... it only takes one piece and then you can became the slave to yellow fever.

Cheers Pete.

Hey Pete,

The next trip is next week out towards Mudgee. Cant wait. I had a ball at Tiboo.

I felt like once you hear the sound of gold once on those machines you get a rush when you hear it again.

Its the GOLD RUSH!!

Poor baby... he has gold fever... LOL... it is a sweet sound and all you do is wait to hear it again and again and again.

I hope to be swinging towards the end of next week on and off for a few months at least.

Keep up your swinging action its paying off.

Pete.

dean_hamilton85 said:
Gday fellas,

Just returned from Tiboo. What an awesome spot. The gold is fun but the scenery and the town is great as well.

I think finding your first gold is pretty unreal as well.

Thanks for the tips.

I ended up finding 22 bits and the ol man did similar. I used 4800 with a 8" mono and the ol man used the 5000 with an 11" mono.

Nothing of much size but it didn't really matter.

Great work!

Latest posts