Aussie Flag

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
StoneTheCrows said:
Posted this so the Anzac Day thread did not get sidetracked
Hopefully this post can be debated without deteriorating into a beat up.
Mods can remove if they think this is not appropiate post.

I love Australia.
I do not love the Aussie Flag

I don't like the Union Jack in the flag - and yes I understand why it is there.
If I had to I would defend our current flag if it was used in a bad way.
I do not believe Aussies fought wars for this flag.
I have spoken about this to my Grandfather (WW1) and father (WW2) and they did not consider the flag as anything they fought for.
They both disliked the Union Jack

They and I believe our flag should also have some recognition of the indigenous people or culture incorporated.
(I also served in the military for 10 years and am not taking the thread lightly.)

What do you guys think.
If they did change it this would be spot on in my opinion :beer: https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...9/1587106920_20200415_071855_copy_800x406.jpg

I totally understand and accept the sentiment expressed in your proposed design but visually, as a cohesive design it just doesn't gel .. sorta goes against what it's trying to achieve ....

PS: EDIT - sorry but the above reply is out of sync in the thread because I'm replying to your post many hours after you originally posted - and as I read thru I notice that the discussion moved on rapidly, and spiraled down... which is sad.

Thomo said:
Give the traditional owners of our country some recognition on our flag.
They are the longest surviving culture on earth still living in the country that they had owned for 60,000 years.
We've been here 200+ years.
Three or 4 generations of white fellas compared to thousands of generations of ownership by the black fella.
Change the flag and give them recognition

I will never feel 100 % entitled to walk on these lands until i have a visa from First Nations , or a First Nations approved passport.

How many people know that attempts by many first nations people to issue their own passport resulted in some of them being refused entry back into Australia when they went overseas ?

Their "First Nations" Australian passports were ruled to be valid when travelling overseas but when they returned to Oz , Customs refused them entry here.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/indigenous-campaigners-re-enter-australia-on-aboriginal-passports

Would it be provocative or poetic if an interim new aussie flag showed lines of white folks lined up in front of an Aboriginal Customs clerk , asking him to please approve their residency documents ?

Can someone do the artwork ?

1587206811_images.jpeg-130.jpg

This is why source information is great.

The only time refusal was mentioned wasnt in relation to entry.

Maybe whoever wrote the article didnt make it clear enough.

Seems to me they granted exit and entry, despite the difficulties and time needed to gather enough details to allow them to enter. Appears, as I have read the article at least, they had access to supporting documents but refused to show or obtain and present them to Customs? Perhaps Customs was unaware these type of passports were ever issued? Could this be the relevant information missing from the article? That is at least my best guess.

I was once detained by authorities post flight on a domestic flight in the terminal and subsequental interviewed and released. Once they figured out who I was and cooperated with the inquiry it was all over pretty quickly.

Id put the above matter in about the same catagory give or take. To this day in spite of the experience Id rather the authorities be thorough and wrong than not get involved at all.

The systems we live in might not be perfect but they do afford order.

My only other thoughts are if there was a path they could go down to obtain a passport that clearly signified their status as Aboriginal decent that was legally able to be used just as a regular Australian Passport then clearly that would be the best outcome for them. Way above my pay grade to figure it out though. And if the original passports served that purpose it would seem odd they were requested not to use them again.

OldGT said:

Seems to me they granted exit and entry, despite the difficulties and time needed to gather enough details to allow them to enter. Appears, as I have read the article at least, they had access to supporting documents but refused to show or obtain and present them to Customs? Perhaps Customs was unaware these type of passports were ever issued? Could this be the relevant information missing from the article? That is at least my best guess.

I was once detained by authorities post flight on a domestic flight in the terminal and subsequental interviewed and released. Once they figured out who I was and cooperated with the inquiry it was all over pretty quickly.

Id put the above matter in about the same catagory give or take. To this day in spite of the experience Id rather the authorities be thorough and wrong than not get involved at all.

My only other thoughts are if there was a path they could go down to obtain a passport that clearly signified their status as Aboriginal decent that was legally able to be used just as a regular Australian Passport then clearly that would be the best outcome for them. Way above my pay grade to figure it out though. And if the original passports served that purpose it would seem odd they were requested not to use them again.

If you google First Nation aboriginal passport refused entry you will find there are many news articles about it detailing many incidents where aboriginal activists were denied entry with their own First Nation passports.

Which doesnt say much for our political or social integrity IMHO.

1587263224_20200419_102513.jpg

Just use something like the above flag, it shows who owns Australia, who calls the shots and where the virus started.
I think this flag, like everything else will be Made In China. :lol:

Aaaaahh, where's my Tiger Beer? :beer:

Gpx5000 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13107/1587263224_20200419_102513.jpg

Just use something like the above flag, it shows who owns Australia, who calls the shots and where the virus started.

That's more like it :lol:
I wonder what we will have to change it to down the track as the ethnic mix keeps changing. Might as well change the name of the country too, could even get rid of the bits we don't like, make the outline more symmetrical. Where does it end? I served under this flag. It will do me.

goldtruck59 said:
Gpx5000 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13107/1587263224_20200419_102513.jpg

isn't Tiger beer from Singapore?

GT :playful:
hahaha, I was hoping no one would notice :8
It's easier to say than Tsingtao Beer :beer:

How short sighted and selective we are in our ancestral histories.
Until a few years ago I would have said I come from English stock too.
A family member recently done the family tree back to a few hundred years and yep, sure enough I carry the blood of England.
But it got me thinking. The Poms are good at keeping records so how far back can I go with a bit of research?
Well guess what? My ancestry goes back to William the Conqueror who was a Norman -from France. (I want the French flag in the top corner of our current flag - NO I DON'T)! But I guess this makes me French! But then following the lineage of one of my distant grandmothers, I am Welsh, Irish and Scottish and we have Celts too and who knows what. And don't get me started on the part of the family that emigrated to the USA a couple of hundred years ago. So I believe anyone who claims an English heritage needs to at least do a DNA test to find out who they really are!

Also, I am a veteran who served this country under our current flag.
But saying that, I would have served my country under whatever flag we had - as long as it was OUR flag.
A flag is just a bit of rag with colours and symbols on it.
I'm afraid I tend to cringe a little, when I see an Aussie sports star on a podium waving a piece of the Union Jack around.
I would prefer that bit of symbolism be removed from our flag, but that is just my opinion.

In conclusion, I was born in Australia - as were my parents. I served my country. I will proudly show our flag this Anzac Day.
I will always be proud of the Aussie flag - whatever it looks like. I will always stand for our national anthem - whatever the words are.
I am proud to be an Aussie, born and bred. I'm not now, never have been and never will be, A MISPLACED POM!

Chiron52 said:
How short sighted and selective we are in our ancestral histories.
Until a few years ago I would have said I come from English stock too.
A family member recently done the family tree back to a few hundred years and yep, sure enough I carry the blood of England.
But it got me thinking. The Poms are good at keeping records so how far back can I go with a bit of research?
Well guess what? My ancestry goes back to William the Conqueror who was a Norman -from France. (I want the French flag in the top corner of our current flag - NO I DON'T)! But I guess this makes me French! But then following the lineage of one of my distant grandmothers, I am Welsh, Irish and Scottish and we have Celts too and who knows what. And don't get me started on the part of the family that emigrated to the USA a couple of hundred years ago. So I believe anyone who claims an English heritage needs to at least do a DNA test to find out who they really are!

Also, I am a veteran who served this country under our current flag.
But saying that, I would have served my country under whatever flag we had - as long as it was OUR flag.
A flag is just a bit of rag with colours and symbols on it.
I'm afraid I tend to cringe a little, when I see an Aussie sports star on a podium waving a piece of the Union Jack around.
I would prefer that bit of symbolism be removed from our flag, but that is just my opinion.

In conclusion, I was born in Australia - as were my parents. I served my country. I will proudly show our flag this Anzac Day.
I will always be proud of the Aussie flag - whatever it looks like. I will always stand for our national anthem - whatever the words are.
I am proud to be an Aussie, born and bred. I'm not now, never have been and never will be, A MISPLACED POM!

Yep and you'll probably find your bloodstock came from Africa 60,000 years ago.
What flag would you like now? :lol:

Rockwall said:
Gpx5000 said:

That's more like it :lol:
I wonder what we will have to change it to down the track as the ethnic mix keeps changing. Might as well change the name of the country too.

Chistralia? :lol:
Ahhhh, we laugh :eek:

CreviceSucker said:
OldGT said:

If you google First Nation aboriginal passport refused entry you will find there are many news articles about it detailing many incidents where aboriginal activists were denied entry with their own First Nation passports.

Which doesnt say much for our political or social integrity IMHO.

Many articles? No. Even Wiki has limited citings. Many incidents, debatable. Seems the same activist/s that found difficulty the first time found it to be so subsequently on return from further trips.

Im not sure what the last line in your reply is meant to mean. A few (more than 2 but fewer than 10s of) people have attempted to use a passport not issued by the government and have found difficulty at customs trying to reenter the country of origin using them knowing they would likely encounter difficulty and that somehow translates to a lack of social or political integrity? That is an odd assertion.

Jaros said:
I didn't mind the beer in Fiji. Smuggled a cuppla doz. on the Sun Princess where i picked up Norovirus and was isolated for 2 weeks about 10 yrs ago. Still went to the bar and picked up a six pack whenever I was "in need". :(

Courage in the face of Adversity, True Blue when the chips are down, I am Proud to hear your Name, :Y:

Latest posts