Aussie Flag

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep...if it didn't have David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and Sporty Spice I would have nuked the UK ages ago.

2 are dead and Sporty went and got herself all old and ugly....England is running on borrowed time! ]:D

I am not quick enough with my posts. Ridge Runner, In response to post#26. The MCG reference had nothing to do with sport. It was about the diverse backgrounds of the crowd mate. Either side of you in the crowd people are speaking Italian, Serbian, Croatian whatever amongst themselves but reving up the umpire in English. Ride on a Bourke Street tram and you will hear at least six different languages being spoken. These are all Australians with no British heritage. That was my point. There was no sport references in my post. While travelling in England on trains and buses inquiries about my accent went something like this.
"You're speaking English but your not British where are you from?"
"We're from Australia." I reply.
"Oh you're colonials then." Or "How are things in the colony?"
While travelling in Britain my father in law offered to help an old lady down some stairs once only to be told politely to "keep his filthy colonial hands to himself." Not the most welcoming of responses. My post did not imply or mention anything about football or cricket.
The British may have started the ball rolling but it was something that we all like to chase (gold) that changed things. It brought people (our first immigrants)from all over the world. Until then Australia was a struggling colony balancing perilously close to the cliff of collapse. Our flag should acknowledge the good things about this country not the bad.

Cheers Bob.

Sooo glad you didn't mention sporty spice.
OOOHHHcrap you did you wanker.
And don't tell me I haven't soyn dem ands yo now

reefer said:
Well bob...I believe you and I are kindred souls.Ridge Runner is one of those fellows who I believe has served the nation and as a result of that he has a special affinity with the current flag and the symbolism which goes with it...and there are others here who have served under it...I understand and respect that.I also understand that many of those who served referred to the flag as' the big blue one'...which has me tend to believe that their focus was NOT on the Union Jack but on those wonderful stars on blue background...I could be wrong, but I sense I'm not....What I am sure of is that the Australia of today is vastly different to the Australia of yesteryear when the flag was adopted and we should have a flag distinctive enough so as to distinguish it from all others in the world which reflects the diversity and aspirations of the people who salute it ...perhaps the addition of the Australian emblem with it's depiction of the rampart Kangaroo and Emu in place of the union jack on the top left canter. In terms of the other nations who depict the Southern Cross on their flag I i refer you back to the Creation story of the Dreamtime...and the recognition of the First Nation's people.
In the beginning there were two men and one woman. One of the men became increasingly distant and disconsolate of the other man and woman. He would not eat and was prone to 'going bush'.Eventually went missing and the other man and woman went out to find him...eventually they found him at the base of The tree of Life which acted as the 'home roost for two Cockatoos...soon after he died. At that occurrence the Tree of Life uprooted itself and was cast up into the sky where it is today...the 'Pointers are those two Cockatoos who to this day chase the Tree of Life which they regard as their home. For the remaining man and woman it was a revelation that there is life and there is death and that they should procreate in order to sustain man's presence on the earth.
So in essence the 'Pointers are an integral part of the Creation story and could ideally replace the 7 pointed Federation Star on the lower cantor...thus making it unique from the other flags who depict the 'incomplete Southern Stars and accommodating the representation of those 'special interest 'groups I spoke of.
At least that's my line of thinking.

Reefer right as to why it means something to me,

I know the Union Jack is on there but the Southern Cross means home, It means Australia in all Her Glory and The flag is a Map, It's a Journey of where we came from to where we are Now and who we are Now, The Union Jack is where we started and the Southern Cross is how far we have come with our open hand that welcomes new Australians to a Modern Australia.

Our flag is a Map and a History Book and each and every one of us is a Page in that Book,

Just getting another beer :lol: :lol: :beer:
1587126830_20200417_223141_copy_800x600.jpg

Goldtruck

That is your opinion
When I look at our national flag I see the australian flag, just dont like what it looks like

You cannot take someones opinion away from them minority or not.
You are bitchin and moaning while telling others to stop the same so are you part of the majority or minority
Not everyone is bitching and moaning - simply stating an opinion.

Roll on prospecting time again

bob said:
I am not quick enough with my posts. Ridge Runner, In response to post#26. The MCG reference had nothing to do with sport. It was about the diverse backgrounds of the crowd mate. Either side of you in the crowd people are speaking Italian, Serbian, Croatian whatever amongst themselves but reving up the umpire in English. Ride on a Bourke Street tram and you will hear at least six different languages being spoken. These are all Australians with no British heritage. That was my point. There was no sport references in my post. While travelling in England on trains and buses inquiries about my accent went something like this.
"You're speaking English but your not British where are you from?"
"We're from Australia." I reply.
"Oh you're colonials then." Or "How are things in the colony?"
While travelling in Britain my father in law offered to help an old lady down some stairs once only to be told politely to "keep his filthy colonial hands to himself." Not the most welcoming of responses. My post did not imply or mention anything about football or cricket.
The British may have started the ball rolling but it was something that we all like to chase (gold) that changed things. It brought people (our first immigrants)from all over the world. Until then Australia was a struggling colony balancing perilously close to the cliff of collapse. Our flag should acknowledge the good things about this country not the bad.

Cheers Bob.

Thing is Bob the whole of the UK can't be held to ransom because your father stumbled upon one of the rude people over here, And in the same respect I don't tolerate clowns either for the want of a better word, But the first week I got here I was not a good Ambassador for Australia either,

I understand where your coming from and all we can do is do our best to make sure we welcome people with an open hand and not a clenched fist, :Y:

madtuna said:
You clearly haven't been practicing your social distancing.

Obviously been too close to too many poms cause it's rubbing off on you :D

Oh MT if only you had told me earlier, where were you when I needed ya 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.(

Stone the Crows I'm not sure I understand post#50. I think the discussion has been really good with little name calling or too many insults. Lots of people have different opinions depending on which history book they read. Travelling up the centre and down the west coast my wife and I visited lots of museums and tributes to the white explorers and pioneers. We also visited many indigenous cultural centres to hear the other side of things, talk to locals if you like. It was a great learning experience. The good thing about the topic is the support, recognition and respect for indigenous people and their culture. That is something that is changing and something that wouldn't have been talked about or considered in the not too distant past. Good effort Crevice. "Actions speak louder than words."

Cheers Bob.

Give the traditional owners of our country some recognition on our flag.
They are the longest surviving culture on earth still living in the country that they had owned for 60,000 years.
We've been here 200+ years.
Three or 4 generations of white fellas compared to thousands of generations of ownership by the black fella.
Change the flag and give them recognition

bob said:
Stone the Crows I'm not sure I understand post#50. I think the discussion has been really good with little name calling or too many insults. Lots of people have different opinions depending on which history book they read. Travelling up the centre and down the west coast my wife and I visited lots of museums and tributes to the white explorers and pioneers. We also visited many indigenous cultural centres to hear the other side of things, talk to locals if you like. It was a great learning experience. The good thing about the topic is the support, recognition and respect for indigenous people and their culture. That is something that is changing and something that wouldn't have been talked about or considered in the not too distant past. Good effort Crevice. "Actions speak louder than words."

Cheers Bob.

Bob

It seems to me some are saying we owe our heritage and culture to the Brits for settling Australia
In some ways that is correct I guess. I just dont think it 100% correct.

I never learnt anything at all as a youngster at school about Australian history and it is only in the last 5 -10 years that I have read some interesting books about australias history.
I don't know if these books are fact or fiction or a mix of both.

One thing for sure is the indiginous peoples were treated the same as possibly every other colonized country.

I read once that victors write the history and the vanquished have to suck it up.

I don't know fact from fiction and guess not too many others do.
Just no that we have different opinions and shouild be able to state that.
An opinion on a flag or national anthem is not going to hurt anyone yet some people find it offensive.

Also had a few vodkas last night which may or may not have helped :beer:

Like I said from the outset...we have been down this road before!...at least this time there seems to have been very much less vitriol then the first occasion :Y: I think that this time round,the discussion has been constructive and respectful of each others view which has got to be a good thing.
As I wrote in ... "There's a new Flag flying in the South"...I believe there will be one day...(and what a grand day that will be).

StoneTheCrows said:
Goldtruck

That is your opinion
When I look at our national flag I see the australian flag, just dont like what it looks like

You cannot take someones opinion away from them minority or not.
You are bitchin and moaning while telling others to stop the same so are you part of the majority or minority
Not everyone is bitching and moaning - simply stating an opinion.

Roll on prospecting time again

I didn't think of you or anything you said when I wrote what I thought on the discussion.
I don't know why you had to vituperate my comments at all.
I am of the majority whom are sick to death of all the sooky, whinging, bitching permanently unhappy minorities and miscreants that want to blow up the status quo.
I do however agree that a walk in the bush waving my 5000 would be a treat right now.
(oh and the frothy and BBQ after)
GT :)

Latest posts