Arrow River NZ Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its been a while since I've posted, but that's in part to the fact that its been a while since I've been out digging too!

Been on holidays in Queenstown NZ again this year, and despite a distinct lack of success with finding the shiny yellow stuff on my last two trips over, I decided to pack my sluice, pan and sieve and try again. Prospecting plays second fiddle to snowboarding on these trips but none-the-less achieving some success at finding gold in the land of the kiwi was on my to do list.

I thought I'd share a few photos of one of the locations I finally found some gold, albeit not much, any gold is good gold in my book! The baby MacKirk was horribly undersize for the sheer amount of black sand in this river but the fact it still caught gold is a testament to how well these sluices work.

Great pics there elbowgrease. I read somewhere that you can find gold pretty much in any creek in the south island.

Looks like a beaut spot

Cheers

Great looking spot and some even greater looking gold. I would have found it very tempting to also chuck out a lure for a couple of trout in that stream. :)

Very nice! I'd love to get over to the south island and find some yellow. I was in the north island a few weeks ago but didn't get the chance to do any panning.

Is that alluvial tin in the black sands?

Working a spot in Tasmania with huge amounts of tin in the sluice that looks a lot like that.

Latest posts