Hi guys

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been on here a while now lurking in the shadows so it's now time I introduced myself.
My names Luke, contrary to my avatar name, I had been interested in prospecting for about 4 years. My first year was spent researching online and nursing a back injury, not due to prospecting. The next two years spent in and out of lockdown and getting out on the creek when I could. I'm based in Melbourne so any chance to get out of the city is a blessing. I predominantly just pan and river sluice, been wanting a detector for a while but im still enjoying sitting in the creeks, dont know how id go in the dust hunting nails and ring pulls. I go out solo 95% of the time but truly scared the crap out of myself last trip out into tanjil country when I nearly slipped the 4wd off the side of a fairly steep slope. I'm married with 3 kids, none of which are interested in prospecting. Any how, it's been great reading some of the info shared by the members on here. I'm getting better at finding gold but as always it's never enough. I'm keen to get back out but I'm battling inflammatory bowel disease (crohns) at the moment but as soon as I get the chance I'm off on my next adventure. Anyway, thanks for having me here and thank you for all the info I've picked up on my journey. I'll post some pics and links when I get my post count up

Hi Luke, welcome to P.A buddy. No one interested in joining you eh...I get that feeling...dang near every speck (99.5%+) in my vials I dug myself. The thought is something of a consolatory prize and increases a sense of satisfaction. :)
All the best with finding the shiny stuff.

Hi Luke,

All I can say is, "Good on you buddy!" At least you're out there doing it. That's the most important thing. Share your trips and finds/not finds and see how you go. Keep posting here and people will join you.
I'm on the Gold Coast....(nope - no gold here) so a bit far away, but I'd join you in a minute! Finding people up here's a bit hard too, as synchronising for long trips is a little difficult. Long trips are required to get near any gold from here.
Keep doing it, great to see.

Cheers - Mr Tee

Welcome to the Forum Luke....There is never a wrong question so don't be afraid to ask if it's advice you are seeking.

Hi everyone, I've been on here a while now lurking in the shadows so it's now time I introduced myself.
My names Luke, contrary to my avatar name, I had been interested in prospecting for about 4 years. My first year was spent researching online and nursing a back injury, not due to prospecting. The next two years spent in and out of lockdown and getting out on the creek when I could. I'm based in Melbourne so any chance to get out of the city is a blessing. I predominantly just pan and river sluice, been wanting a detector for a while but im still enjoying sitting in the creeks, dont know how id go in the dust hunting nails and ring pulls. I go out solo 95% of the time but truly scared the crap out of myself last trip out into tanjil country when I nearly slipped the 4wd off the side of a fairly steep slope. I'm married with 3 kids, none of which are interested in prospecting. Any how, it's been great reading some of the info shared by the members on here. I'm getting better at finding gold but as always it's never enough. I'm keen to get back out but I'm battling inflammatory bowel disease (crohns) at the moment but as soon as I get the chance I'm off on my next adventure. Anyway, thanks for having me here and thank you for all the info I've picked up on my journey. I'll post some pics and links when I get my post count up
never give up

Hi Luke,
It’s been a year now. Just wondering how you’re getting on?
Have you found your pot of gold yet? Also, did you manage to score a detector?
Let us know how you’re doing if you can.
Cheers - Mr Tee

Hi Luke,
It’s been a year now. Just wondering how you’re getting on?
Have you found your pot of gold yet? Also, did you manage to score a detector?
Let us know how you’re doing if you can.
Cheers - Mr Tee
Hey Mr tee, I've been trying to get out as much as possible this year. Found reasonable ground close to home so that's nice but no detector yet. Brought a camper van instead and then work took over so looking forward to spending a week or more on a goldfield in the gt. I've posted a few videos of my prospecting on youtube under the name: Soon ill be zoro with a shovel. Between a broken body, family and work ive been time poor so i need to get out soon because the fever is real! Cheers for checking in.

Great update Luke. Looks like you’ve had your share of hard times too. At least you have your priorities in the right place. Getaway home on wheels first, work and everything else……….well - kinda falls into place after that lol. At least you’ve got the drive and are still doing it! Good on you.
Yup, the fever can really drive a person!!
I’m doing up my wagon atm, so I’m chomping at the bit. In my charge to get out there I’m making stupid mistakes and having to do things twice and that drives me crazy! Still, I’m getting there slowly but surely. Couple of weeks and I think I’ll be ready to go. Got a lot of cheap stuff from end of financial year sales; light bar with full wiring harness, bumper jack and pad, fridge slider, (saved over $200 on that), plugs, Anderson plugs, wiring extensions for my solar panels etc. Been fun but it means I should be fully set up when I do go out bush and I can stay weeks instead of a day or two. I’m excited!
Anyway, I’m off to bed as it is a bit late. I’ll look forward to hearing how you get on when you get out there with or without a detector.
Night mate
Mr Tee

Hi Luke. Also think about joining a prospecting group such as a PMAV branch or others. They generally organise group trips to the GT or other places. The advantage that you will be able to spend time with people you can talk to and could help you further. Many may have spare detectors they might be prepared to give you a go at using to see how you could manage with your back.
You may also find it helpful to be “organised”. Sounds like you have some guilt in pursuing prospecting as a hobby at the expense of of other perceived family or other requirements. I know I did for many years when my family was younger. You shouldn’t have to feel that way and every man or woman needs their own space and time for their mental health and personal development. Having a group organise events for you could make it easier to reconcile and explain that need to others.

You are spot on Hawkear. I got into prospecting as a way to clear my head and have time to myself and ive lost sight of that, again. Cheers for reminding me. Ive been looking into joining a local club in the last couple of weeks. Sounds like a good idea. Cheers for the push I needed

Latest posts