Anything in Dimboolah?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I head out to Dimboolah a fair bit to see ol' grandma. Little Desert and some amazing sandy creeks are in the areas. Does anyone know of anything that can be found out there? I know gypsum and salt :| exists but anything else to look for would be nice.

Fossils, gems, minerals, artifacts?

I know there is much along the way, but we stay at Dimboolah up to a week at times. Closest source of known gold is probably Stawell and Arrarat.

( Move this thread if its in the wrong section, I couldnt figure out where to put it )

Not sure on Dimboolah AtomRat but if you ever want to have a crack at Ararat let me know, I'll meet you there

Alot of aboriginal artifacts. Not sure if the original tribe still live on there river Camp there, they used to when I was a boy for so many months of the year then they would walk of into the Bush for 6 months of the year only to comeback same time like a clock. Was realy interesting to see, no European interaction at all. We used to find the odd spear head and calved wooden tools along the river up towards horse shoe bend and I do remember story's from my Pa of the odds piece of gold being found along there too. Posibly had been picked up and Carted by the aboriginal while on return from where ever they were. Hey atomrat Thanks for asking the question as I forgot these memories even existed.havnt been there for probably 15 years but good little fishing spot in there when the water runs. :)

Thanks for the replies guys!

MJB - would love to join in doing some dry blowing if your still into that, so ill see if I can stop in the on the way up or down. Ive seen ur vids, looks fun!

k man - cheers for the info. Ive not found anything like an aboriginal artifact apart from a possible skinning rock from locally. I will take a look around closer there and have a look. I dropped into little deser national park on my way to adelaide last time, if you know the weir on the river, its gone. They must have had a rippa flood and it took the whol weir, platform, steps n rails and a lot of soil ripped downstream, big mess!

Hopefully ill find something of interest :)

Latest posts