Gold Hog Mats

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B5MECH said:
So the trap would slide around the outside of the end about 3 inches in with maybe 4 inch of riffles that would be past the end of the sluice, I think gravity would stop the gold from going between the sluice and the end trap and getting out by traveling up
Alloy brackets glued to the abs channel with a sort of draw slide, slide on and slide off, it could be glued on but would be harder to clean the gold out

So I dont think Im going to go with this. At least not for now. Im not convinced I'll be able to get it on there with a good seal, in which case it doesnt solve the problem. Im just going to go with the end piece thats siliconed in place. It will stop anything getting out the end and I'll just sucker up anything that might get through or around the mats. Just gking to keep it simple for now. I can always modify it in the future.

bazxa said:
Tape them as per goldhog, it makes a one piece mat reducing the chance of shearing. The gorilla tape is great. Can post photos 3 weeks when I return home

Barry

As I first read this I was like, "Yeah! Of course". But now after a seconds thought I dont think it'll work. If they weren't rigid it would definitely be the way to go...but alas.

Haha yeah when left to my own devices and if I dont have to work the next day I am invariably up until 3 or 4 am. I love the nights...so much more peaceful:)

You got that right, but not much fun on your own. Thats mainly why I dont get out detecting much now.

Mike.

Im the type of person that gets on perfectly well on my own :) I love it. Especially when Im out prospecting. I love to get out there to get away from people haha. I am aware that going out alone is not the safest way to go about it but I suppose its a risk Im willing to take.

Six mats in there now. Printed a little ramp and end piece. Siliconed the end piece in, and silconed and rivited the ramp in there.

And I think I will leave it the way it is in the pic in terms of placment of mats. In the pic it goes (from top to bottom): Bedrock 2.0, Talon, Talon, Bedrock 2.0, DownDraft, DownDraft. Id rather go bedrock talon bedrock talon but I printed the male prong to big on the first bedrock and so it only fits in to the female bit in the ramp. If I reprint a new bedrock I could arrange it how I want but I'll just test it first. Will probably run some water through it tomorrow...only 2200gph so we'll see how it goes.

1474259000_20160919_141548-600x800.jpg

Made a bit of a mess along the way. My housemate will be thrilled I did this inside haha.

Ive also started printing out the little sluice as well. Tis looking good so far and fits together nicely. Ill print it out completely before I join all the pieces.

1474285500_20160919_214401-800x591.jpg

1474285522_20160919_214437-800x502.jpg

Yeah Im loving it :) On Thingiverse Im finding, saving and collecting so many cool things...way more things than I'll ever be able to print. I wish I had two :( haha

I couldnt help myself...I ended up connecting the first three pieces with the ABS slurry (blue ABS slurry...should have just waited till the green stuff was ready). It worked well though and is quite strong.

1474353440_20160920_163626-800x697.jpg

Really not a fan of this green. It doesnt look as bad in the pics but it much more fluoro in real life. I took it outnto have a look at it in the sun today and was almost blinded haha. Going to need to invest in some welding goggles tonfeed this pn in full sunlight haha.

Finally tested the mats in the highbanker earlier and shot a little video. Am uploading that now so I'll post that withing the hour.

In the meantime, I finished printing the sluice :) but am yet to connect the the pieces besides the first three. Here it is next to an AM Grubstake for size comparisons.

I'll take it out on Monday for a test run. Ill take the Grubstake too to see how they go head to head. But considering this cost $19 as opposed to the $140 plus postage for the Grubstake I think it would have to perform pretty badly for it not to be worth it. I think it'll work fine though.

1474609700_dsc00837-800x600.jpg

1474609722_dsc00838-800x600.jpg

1474609747_dsc00839-800x600.jpg

1474609775_dsc00840_crop_1080x328-800x243.jpg

Latest posts