Anyone keen ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday Blokes,
I dont do much coin hunting and mainly just chase the gold these days. The only time i detect for coins is when the beaches get washed away,and its usually with my GPX and a DD coil.
I fluked onto a good find recently of an old fair ground that was used from the late 1800's to about the 1940's and is now just cow paddocks.
The good news is I have full permission to detect there and it would be handy to have a few extra blokes along to find the sweet spots.
I really want to find a gold sovereign,and there could be a chance of that here as any coins would be pre decimals.
The site is in nth western sydney,so if your keen,let me know.

Pro dude said:
Gday Blokes,
I dont do much coin hunting and mainly just chase the gold these days. The only time i detect for coins is when the beaches get washed away,and its usually with my GPX and a DD coil.
I fluked onto a good find recently of an old fair ground that was used from the late 1800's to about the 1940's and is now just cow paddocks.
The good news is I have full permission to detect there and it would be handy to have a few extra blokes along to find the sweet spots.
I really want to find a gold sovereign,and there could be a chance of that here as any coins would be pre decimals.
The site is in nth western sydney,so if your keen,let me know.
I am rather new to this game mate, but I am more than willing to lend a hand if required.

Cheers

Righto, we have a good group so far.
I am searching for photos of the site and this is what i have so far:
It was originally horse stables then was later converted to a cricket field.
Rugby league was played there in the winters.
My estimates on the first fairs held here were out by a bit.......first fair held at this showground was in 1907, then once a year up to 1954.
There was also a tennis court there and an old dairy keepers house,now long demolished.
Being on a flood plain,the ground is fairly soft,so the digging wouldnt be hard.

I will do some more research and organise a date and place to meet. It will most likely be a saturday.

This location has never been detected before.

lol, I'd be keen to try as well...sounds interesting :) I might even pick up some tips on using my detector from the pro's :)

Pro dude said:
Righto, we have a good group so far.
I am searching for photos of the site and this is what i have so far:
It was originally horse stables then was later converted to a cricket field.
Rugby league was played there in the winters.
My estimates on the first fairs held here were out by a bit.......first fair held at this showground was in 1907, then once a year up to 1954.
There was also a tennis court there and an old dairy keepers house,now long demolished.
Being on a flood plain,the ground is fairly soft,so the digging wouldnt be hard.

I will do some more research and organise a date and place to meet. It will most likely be a saturday.

This location has never been detected before.
Is there any research we can do?

I am quiet keen to assist with this.

Cheers

Bad News people,
I asked the property caretaker if we could do the group thing there and he denied us access due to the large number of people who replied.
He said he didnt mind if I brought along 1 mate,but (because Im a fair bloke)I decided that its either all in or none at all.
So Im going to give it a miss altogether.
Ya win some....and ya lose some :/

That's a pity and thanks for trying. Go for it anyway with 1 mate. I've got a few places I'll be detecting where I'm the only 1 allowed to detect. Sometimes it's just the way it happens.

Pro Dude , dont be foolish , take up his offer , better someone has a scout than no one. Take 1 mate & go for it.

Cheers Paul

That's a shame that it has worked out like this mate, you should still go and have a look about.

Gday People,
Pretty much the whole episode has soured me on the idea.
The more research I did on the site,the more I realised that my target of a gold sovereign find wasnt going to happen there.
I have over 10 kgs of Pennys and half pennys plus a jar full of shillings and florins at home,so Im not after any pre decimals.
It would be better to spend my time searching some old miners camps (1855-1885 ) on the goldfields.

If you need help swinging on that gold field, let us know. There's always an army of keen newbies
Willing to carry the tent , just to learn from the pros !

Latest posts