A Hypothetical

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nofind

Richard
Reaction score
What would you do.

Walking through the bush with your snake gaiters on and a snake bites you.

The gaiters work so do you:

Swat it away like a fly
S@#$t your self and hope it goes away
Stand still (if you can)
All of the above
Other?

Also what do you do afterwards. I believe you have to be careful how you clean the gunk of he gaiters. I heard using metho but not sure.

It is a wet miserable day here so thought I would raise the question.

Rich

Well if its struck your gaiter then youve probably almost stepped on/ right in front of the snake so its feeling threaten right now. Best advice I think is to stop and take a couple of slow steps backward stop again and watch what it does.
Once your out of its face itl probably do one of 3 things;
a) come toward you.
b) stay where it is.
c) go in the opposite direction.
If it chooses a) then stay still and let it go around you. Its not attacking your just in its path.
If b) or c) you need to go around that area, give the snakes territory a wide berth about 50 metres radius or so should do it.

As for cleaning I would suggest latex gloves and wash it off in the Laundry tub NOT the kitchen or bathroom sinks where residue could accidently get on something you might put in your mouth like cutlery or a toothbrush. As for what to clean it with, use a chux wipe so you can bag and bin it after and hot soapy water will do the trick. Have heard that vinegar can also be used to wash it off gear/tools as well but dont know personally if that works.

Cheers, GW

Interesting...

Option #3 for me I guess. :D

I just got regular canvas gaitors, but any extra layer should help hey...

I think naturally you jump 6 foot it the air by suprise then run a few steps away... thats what would really happen.

But if your prepared for it ( after reading these posts and thinking about it) youd proberly try stand still or something...

For cleaning the boots im not sure...

Proberly just still jump 6 foot and run as my emergency plan :)

Next time wear brown pants so when you sh** yourself, others don't notice the brown stains when you return to camp

I would just stand still until it went on its merry little way beacause chances are after it tasted the gaiters it would realise that they aren't food and if you keep still then in all reality the snake can't really see you. While I am no expert I have had some experience with snakes and with most of them, unless you do something to provoke them they are all to happy to get away from you. Most people get bitten by trying to kill them or provoke them and I am of the belief that if they are not posing an immediate threat then why not just let them move on. Around the house/kids etc is a different matter but must add that all snakes are protected ;)
Not sure about the washing of venom off I think just some hot soapy water would do the trick because for snake venom to affect us I'm pretty sure that it has to go directly into the bloodstream via fangs or if you got it into an open wound etc. Only my thoughts and someone with more knowledge may want to set me straight if anything I have said is incorrect.
Cheers, Billy.

I raised this question for a bit of fun but there is a serious side to it as well.

I had not come across a snake close up for most of my life until recently then had a rush of them.

I nearly stood on a big brown while bush walking (no gaiters on). I stood on a branch, noticed something moving and jumped. My mate reckoned it had a go at me. It took some time but it finally went on its way (throwing stones didn't help - I know dumb idea)

Shortly after that I walked passed a black and my mate stepped right over it as it was going down a hole.

The next one happened ridding a bike. I saw it on the path and yelled snake just as I went passed. My mate ran right over its tail, it was not happy and had real go at him.

We also have one that is living or has been seen in our front garden which is a bit bushy.

This all happened in the last 12 months or less.

When I bought my detector last year I decided to get some gaiters as well. Why tempt fate. I got the snake guardz I think they are called.

Rich

Back in the olden days when I was 10years of age I would go into the scrub and look for snakes , no idea why but I'd find plenty down the creek from my old lodgings there'd be a old bits old sheets of tin lying around logs that's where I'd find them , not thinking of getting bitten just pick them up one after the other they'd squirm a little but after awhile the bag was full , of home bag in hand went out the back yard and dad said whats in the bag son ? Oh here look as I tipped all the snakes out onto the ground 14 or so riggling and going all directions ! Dad some other guy jumping up and down me standing there amazed at the look on there faces , dad grabbed a shovel and attempted to stop them in there tracks, no chance they shot off in all directions , a very funny memory , the thing that did bite me was a very big TICK on the shoulder , a bit of turps on the tick that is an the rest is history 1967 cheers martin

Years ago while on a 4wd trip we went for an impromptu stroll that ended up being a treck/bushwalk to Bendethra caves in the middle of January.
We had 3 kids with us under 12 and we all had shorts and jogger on and we started seeing browns.
So I took the lead and the rest followed 20m behind.
I must have seen a dozen or more browns that day but all I did was make a heap of noise bashing the ground and brush with a stick and they just slid away and didn't bother us thank God.

I know what you'r thinking "stupid thing to do" I know!
You live and learn.
I wouldn't do it now that's for sure but it shows you whats works.

Be careful out there.

Cheers
Mick

Billy said:
I'm pretty sure that it has to go directly into the bloodstream via fangs or if you got it into an open wound etc.

This is a fairly common misconception with Australian snakes. I used to think the same but after years of occupational & industrial first aid training that has a focus, for our worksite, on snake bite due to remoteness, occurrence & sightings I now know better.

Everyone has heard the old suck the venom out, cut it & bleed it etc. etc. but never try any of these with an Australian snake bite. It works on American & other snakes as their venom is different but will not work on Australian snake venom & could also make the rescuer ill.

Australian snake venom travels within our lymphatic systems, meaning direct injection into the bloodstream is not required, before the toxins enter our blood stream. This means that immobilisation & compression is a must to stop/slow it spreading throughout our lymphatic system & prevent the toxins from entering our bloodstream - the more we move the more our lymphatic system will move venom around our bodies & the quicker it will enter your bloodstream. If bitten you should always try to remain as calm & as still as possible. It is recommended that all outdoors type people carry at least 3 x large compression bandages with them which is enough to immobilise & compress a bite on the largest limb (our legs). If the bite is on the chest, head or back firm pressure should be maintained, as much as possible, to the bite area. Read up on first aid if you don't know how to apply a compression bandage etc.

NEVER WASH THE AREA - THE MEDICS WILL NEED TO SWAB IT WITH A SNAKE VENOM ID KIT TO ENSURE YOU GET THE CORRECT ANTI-VENOM IF REQUIRED. (only about 10% of people bitten/apparent bites actually need anti-venom as they are either dry bites or the bites haven't penetrated).

A good read: http://www.anaesthesia.med.usyd.edu.au/resources/venom/snakebite.html

Good denim jeans & sturdy boots should suffice without the need for gaiter's, but its a personal thing I guess & they also keep burrs etc out. Snake gaiter's were more developed for American markets as their snakes have larger fangs to get into the bloodstream whereas ours have smaller fangs because they only require to break the skin to deliver venom to the lymphatic system.

I have lived in country areas all my life & have only ever seen 6 live snakes in the wild. 3 of those were on the road & the other 3 were in just as big a hurry to get away from me as I was from them :lol:. Don't know if I've just been lucky or my stumbling around in the bush scares em off but I'll keep my $90 bucks & just stick to long pants & good boots ;) .

Thanks for clearing that up mbasko, I hoped someone would step in if anything I wrote was wrong/misleading. Had heard that denim etc can stop the small fangs of our Aussie snakes. Great post mate cheers, Billy.

Latest posts