27mhz or UHF CB radio discussion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Crew,
We have moved some stuff around!
This thread is for Ham Radio Communications discussion (whereby generally, you need a licence to operate)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/ham-radio.39946/The 27 meg CB thread, is for discussion on publically available CB Communication HF or UHF.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/27mhz-cb-radio-discussion.39938/The Communications Thread is about all forms of communication pertinent to us, sat phones, Vast, PLB's, etc etc..
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/communications.16939/
We hope this is clearer?!
Thanks to @mbasko for all the hard work back here!

A quick little review on the Baofeng UV-10R.
A neat looking little radio, just a tad bigger than the uv-5R.
The first most awesome thing is that it ptograms up with the same file I wrote for the 5R, so heaps of time saved in programming.
Secondly, after programming it, I really was struggling to find any stand out differences to the 5R?!
It is a little taller, the battery is a little bigger.
The 5R comes with two antennae for VHF and UHF, the 10R has one antenna that it says does both bands.
They say that the 10R is ip55 waterproof.
They say that the 10R can put out 300watts and transmit 189k's!!!
OK well that last statement is no way true!!
So I was under the impression that the 5R is 5 watts out and the 10R is 10 watts?
I don't have a power meter so needed to think of a practical experiment.
I can't access the Cairns repeater RCA from home with a 5R, so tried it with the 10R and I got the ID back!
So it definately has either a better antenna, or more power!
So would I recommend one? Yeah I would, for about $4 more, to be 'waterproof' and being able to be programmed by PC, and the 'latest' tech, I think it's worth the $50.

20220816_163100.jpg

I have looked at the 10R, but could not see any real advantage over the 5R for my uses.
Bit surprised you have no way to measure output, my meter is buried in a pile of boxes as we were possibly needing to move out in a hurry.
So put away not to see light until it was eventually dug up. 😞

I too have issues with all those promises made about outputs.
An early GT-1 uhf was 5W 7.2V, the next time I bought some they were 2W 3.6V. Most disappointing, the originals are great cheap radio's.

Let us know how the 10R performs as you use it please.

27mhz USB/LSB CB Transceiver thoughts.

I love the little GT3-TP, great little 8 watt (just barely) but when it gets serious, nothing beats Motorola Astro P25 digital with encryption... no one can hear you excited about the gold when you tell your mate using an encrypted radio. ;)... guess I should toss some gold in the post as well to keep it on topic.. LOL

PS: I absolutely love your signature line.. LOL (re pull tabs etc)... :)

Jen, KB6JEN, VE7OTH, formely VK2WD (let it lapse... sigh)

1660659357591.jpegIMG_0664 1.jpegIMG_0667 1_2.jpeg

Last edited:
You are a Linux fan too hey ?

What's all that junk on top of the radio ?
Honestly, some people just don't bother cleaning around the home.

Thanks, I need to update that sig line, there has been another 160+ holes more and I get cranky if I don't find a pull tab or pull ring,
just ask the kids.
The 6yr old 'stabbed me' for a $2 coin in the bottom of a hole in a playground yesterday, I left it open for her to pull out
after she finished a snack, I thought it was only a $1.
The little dear was quite happy to rip me off, and stated it too. (but she did give me a hot chip for it)

😂

300 Watts! 😂 Like to see anyone hold that in their hands, let alone using it right next to their scone.
I used to have a Yaesu quad-band portable, at 7 watts it got awful how in the hand after awhile, although it was a very small radio. The Anytone 878 doesn't get hot at 7 watts, just chews the guts out of the batteries.

I am putting a traveling kit together for my Dad, I did him up a cheat sheet for his radio and thought that PA might like to see it too?
(Disclaimer: Obviously this is assuming that the radio has been suitably programmed with legal frequencies!)

1.jpg

Latest posts