Ham Radio

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After seeing the 27mhz thread a few weeks ago I checked on my AMCA licence status and bugger me, 'expired', tried to renew but was reallocated on the 22nd of last month!!
DOH!!
So I applied and think I got, a new call, VK4XP ! Rather fancy I thought!! (Hasn't come through yet!)

Well after having my 'Full Call' or 'Advanced' radio operators ticket for many years... I found out it had lapsed and been reallocated down South.
So a little bit of to and fro-ing, I got a new call sign allocated!
VK4XP ! A two letter call is a little OTT but hey, why not!
So just gotta wait for ACMA now, pay some more bux, and dig the radio's out of the shed!ham.jpg

Well after having my 'Full Call' or 'Advanced' radio operators ticket for many years... I found out it had lapsed and been reallocated down South.
So just gotta wait for ACMA now, pay some more bux, and dig the radio's out of the shed!View attachment 3063
Good god! Can you contact the International Space Station with that setup?!!

Cheers,
Megsy

I clearly have a lot to learn in this area! I have all my CB radio knowledge from 1970's films... :p

How did Kato go with the follow on from the Veteran's graves clean up Greenhornet? Did I miss a post with the story of how she went there?

Cheers,
Megsy

Smokey and the Bandit ?
A favourite of mine.

She has been very busy with Year 12, and making up time with her Traineeship IT Cert 3.
So she has not followed up on it, I will nip over to that thread and post.
😂 Yes - and Convoy and Max Max!

There seemed to be a lot of them in the 1970's films...

Cheers,
Megsy

So just gotta wait for ACMA now, pay some more bux, and dig the radio's out of the shed!View attachment 3063

What brand and model Radio is that Simmo, been looking at them a lot this past couple of years, But that is impressive,

Thanks, 👍

What brand and model Radio is that Simmo, been looking at them a lot this past couple of years, But that is impressive,

Thanks, 👍
It's not mine mate, simply an Internet grab!
It looks like a Kenwood or perhaps Icom?
I use Yaesu here.
Also... if money is no object and you think that rig I pictured looks good...
Cop this!!!!!

e08fdd07a1fbeea094ef87a139d0e930.jpg

It's not mine mate, simply an Internet grab!
It looks like a Kenwood or perhaps Icom?
I use Yaesu here.
Also... if money is no object and you think that rig I pictured looks good...
Cop this!!!!!

View attachment 3064

CooooL, 😍😍😍

I was looking at Icom gear yesterday as well as Yaesu, At first glance they appear to be expensive but they seem to level off and it's not that expensive to buy top quality Radio's, certainly no worse than any other hobby or must have Item, 👍

Yes mate. There is no substitute for quality, known brands when you go 'top end' gear.

I have this baby in the shed, it's a good compact mobile radio. A few years old now, but a good radio.
I have talked to the US and even from the Palmer back to Cairns on HF.

ft857d_1__1__1.jpg

Yes mate. There is no substitute for quality, known brands when you go 'top end' gear.

I have this baby in the shed, it's a good compact mobile radio. A few years old now, but a good radio.
I have talked to the US and even from the Palmer back to Cairns on HF.

View attachment 3065
De Ja Vue,

Struth I was looking at one just like that yessterday,

Many reviews say that is the best allrounder for mobile/base purposes,

The big ones are impressive to see but I think you have the best one for my needs,

Thanks for that, 👍

Nice looking radios. And sorry Simmo about your advanced being lapsed and someone else acquiring your old call sign. Are you still advanced or did you have to retest under the current rules? no code.
I grew up around ham radio, so I admire antenna, fixed and mobile.

No retest mate. Once you get Advanced, you've got it for life.
Yeah losing my old call Vk4 SIM was a pain, we moved house and I simply forgot to notify the ACMA of the change of address!!
When I did my Limited I had to do 10 words per minute morse, but that requirement is gone now.

After seeing the 27mhz thread a few weeks ago I checked on my AMCA licence status and bugger me, 'expired', tried to renew but was reallocated on the 22nd of last month!!
DOH!!
So I applied and think I got, a new call, VK4XP ! Rather fancy I thought!! (Hasn't come through yet!)
4XP that is pretty snazzy!

Latest posts