Ham Radio

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey fellow hams,
Looking to make a doublet antenna.
Anyone got any ladder line hanging around?

Haven't posted in here for a couple of weeks!

I got keen and hunted through the shed for my 857!
I knew it was in there in a box, but which box??!!
Anyway I found it and a forgotten Icom IC-2000!
I don't think I will use the 2000 but the 857 and tuner should be keepers!!
Also, trying to work out local noise, I moved my Ham PC away from the radio and re-routed all the cables and added a few clip on torroids where I could... the noise drop is insane!!
I reckon 2-3 S points easy!
The waterfall looks different as well!!
Next step is to remake my antenna, I think I am going to go with a 40 mtr dipole if I can persuade my next door neighbour up one to let me 'borrow' their tree!!

20230123_181308.jpg20230123_181410.jpg

Nice shack, just need a couple of ham maps on the wall
It's all there on PC mate, I don't even understand what goes on with this new fandangled software!!
The thing will even move your beam rotator (if I had one) to get the best signal!
Insane technology!

20230123_203622.jpg20230123_203728.jpg

Good morning Simmo, As it happens I have a fair bit on hand that I never used. How much do you need? This is the product:
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009557Cheers! Dave. 4DA
Hi mate,
Thanks heaps! I was going to make a doublet antenna, but as I couldn't source any ladder line I thought that I will build a simple dipole fed with coax.
Thanks for the offer though!

I've had a ball this arvo with Olivia!!!
Hanspeter in Switzerland (25,000 k's long path) for a good half hour solid qso rag chew, and then into micronesia for a chat with John !! (I had to google where that was!!!)
And this is on my JPC-12 portable vertical antenna!!!
Amazing!
Hopefully in coming weeks, I will get more wire in the air!

And this event is coming up....
Dunno who did the banner for a world wide event such as this...... but its a pretty cool banner..... ;-)

https://www.amateurradio.com/first-...548O5ad57QgDUm3KlkV3TEWKykzczC0xqsEPkKNfhnkEE

I've had a ball this arvo with Olivia!!!
Hanspeter in Switzerland (25,000 k's long path) for a good half hour solid qso rag chew, and then into micronesia for a chat with John !! (I had to google where that was!!!)
And this is on my JPC-12 portable vertical antenna!!!
Amazing!
Hopefully in coming weeks, I will get more wire in the air!

And this event is coming up....
Dunno who did the banner for a world wide event such as this...... but its a pretty cool banner..... ;-)

https://www.amateurradio.com/first-...548O5ad57QgDUm3KlkV3TEWKykzczC0xqsEPkKNfhnkEE
I am not into digital as yet. Did have some good chats on 20m USB into France and Barcelona yesterday arvo. On CC net at present (5am) on 7.093. 40m has been good for local stuff. VK2FIVE and VK2CVD coming in 5/9 plus 10 this morning. Tom, VK8NTX 4 and 6. Might play some more radio today.

Many (many) years ago, I used to be a Company Signaller when I was in the Army Reserves. I can't believe how complex it is in the Ham world...I miss building antennas and tuning a set to get the best results, it was almost a dark art as much as a science....

I am not into digital as yet. Did have some good chats on 20m USB into France and Barcelona yesterday arvo. On CC net at present (5am) on 7.093. 40m has been good for local stuff. VK2FIVE and VK2CVD coming in 5/9 plus 10 this morning. Tom, VK8NTX 4 and 6. Might play some more radio today.
Yeah give Oliuvia a go Dave, it's an amazing mode, it's ability to pull signals from maybe 10dB under the noise is insane!

@Skiffed Thanks Dave, my package arrived safely! Yet again, most appreciated! Now I can play with antennae!

This post I put on our FB groups, this is using my JPC-12 portable antenna, untill I can rebuild a bigger one... how awesome is that little bugger working??!

Another awesome chat with HansPeter, HB9BFM on 14071 Olivia 8/250 this arvo. 100% copy, 25,000 k's!
HP said to mention that he is on every day where possible, on this mode and frequency at 0700Z and to give him a call.
It was awesome to find out today that I am his second furthest contact other than Ken, JA1RZD in Tokyo??!
How cool is that??

Finally this arvo I managed to get onto the station I had been chasing in Belgium!
At the start of the convo Danny said that I was 14dB below the noise, but he could still decode my transmission!

329327546_1377729233079413_704711657837010021_n.jpg

@Skiffed

So getting ready for the Valentines day Party Weekend!!!
My 20 mtr Delta Loop is assembled and on the tripod for testing.
I think it came up very well and should last when it goes up on the mast?

20230209_143540.jpg20230209_143556.jpg20230209_145320.jpg20230209_145910.jpg

Amazingly, my first Olivia contact on my new Delta loop was into Cyprus from here in Cairns FNQ Australia!

VK4XP DE 5B4AZ
~VERY GOOD SIMON 1ØØ% HERE +3DB SNR LOOP DOINw WELL
WILL LISTEN *vk YOU WHEN THE BEAM GOES UP
MY ANT IS TOO LOW (HAVE PICS ON MY WEBSIT 5B4AZ.ORG)
THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS FOR USE, PRAY HAT MORE PEOPLE CAN
BE REMOVED AND RESCUED FROM THE RUBBLE IN TURKEY
HORRIBLE THING TO LINGER ON AND DIE OF COLD OR THIRST OR BLEEDING
THE DISASTER IS HUGE THERE - WE FELT THE QUAKES HERE IN CYPRUS
5ØØKM AWAY. THE TREMOR IS LIKELY TO TRIGGER OUR OWN FAULT LINES
ANYHOW, GLAD TO QSO WITH YOU IN DEAR OLD VK LAND
KEYS BTU DR SIMON

Latest posts