27mhz or UHF CB radio discussion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day GH

Sorry 4 the confusion, I want a handheld, but I want to slide it into a 'base station' in the 4x4 and use the vehicles

- Bat. to charge the handheld
- Speakers of the car audio
- Microphone of the car audio
- The 1mtr antenna mounted on the bull bar like Cranky Emu was talking about above

I'm a bit confused by this, I'm not the sharpest in the shed, you have to explain thing S L O W L Y and take little steps !!!!

Do you have a link to 1 you would recommend ?
Since you mentioned me I will add to this...

First the 1m antenna part. It will depend on the type of radio, more-so frequency it operates on as to antenna length. Yes, you can buy those broomstick antennas (if people seen how they worked internally they would probably feel a bit ripped off). If you are using UHF getting the biggest and greatest antenna may not always be to your advantage. Depending on the terrain, a high-gain antenna may give you inferior performance over a lower gain antenna such as a 4.5dB or 1/4 wave.

Higher the gain - Flatter the angle of radiation. Lower the gain, the higher the angle of radiation (your signal). This applies pretty much regardless of frequency.

A lot of hand-held's these days have battery eliminators, where you remove the standard battery, and insert the eliminator which in turn is connected to the cig lighter socket.

As for Bluetooth to car audio, I am not aware of anything that does that. Not to say they don't exist, I just haven't seen any. There are some that have Bluetooth headsets and Bluetooth PTT.

CE, you just inspired me to test something with a bluetooth adapter I have for my elcheapo UV5R's.
Never considered exploring what else it may connect to....

Could end up being more fun than playing with people locking and unlocking their cars in the shopping centre carpark.
A lad has to have something to do when the wife is shopping 🤣

😇

I will mate, stand by.

Unfortunately the Forum will not allow me to upload an .img file..
Understandibly I 'spose, as it is a code file.
If you have your email attached to your profile, I will email it to you.

No email attached! You will have to email me for me to reply!

Last edited:
Yep, will do tomorrow, getting lights out now.

Might want to test - Will it ZIP down and upload?
Or upload to Drop Box (if you use it) and send link?
Dont know but maybe these will do the job in the future.

PM on way to you

CE, you just inspired me to test something with a bluetooth adapter I have for my elcheapo UV5R's.
Never considered exploring what else it may connect to....

Could end up being more fun than playing with people locking and unlocking their cars in the shopping centre carpark.
A lad has to have something to do when the wife is shopping 🤣

😇
Didn't think the UV-5R's had BT capability.

Pairing is fine to the radio adapter, finger switch is fine, BT ear/mic seems to work fine.

After pressing the switch, talking into the mic, there seems to be a significant delay for the radio to switch and transmit,
so the first part of the speech is not transmitted and missed at the receiving radio.

A huge pain with broken dialogue, I dont know if it is the BT mic or the adapter, it can be as long as 3 words.

Yeah ok, mine is not that bad.
I have always taught though...... press, wait, talk, wait, release...
It certainly is not as quick as a PTT mic for sure.

Yeah ok, mine is not that bad.
I have always taught though...... press, wait, talk, wait, release...
It certainly is not as quick as a PTT mic for sure.

I suspect that I have to set the VOX threshold to be more sensitive, or something like that, really have not followed it up or tested any further.
But I have also seen something about routing it thru your mobile phone for the radio - could not make heads or tails of that one.

I have a few commercial Philips UHF sets that are older but pretty spec, output off the charts.
Hardly ever used them, EX Telstra. Need a new Mic cord for one now, UV made it crumble.

I suspect that I have to set the VOX threshold to be more sensitive, or something like that, really have not followed it up or tested any further.
But I have also seen something about routing it thru your mobile phone for the radio - could not make heads or tails of that one.
Ahh, VOX, I never use that as in my application you are firing at an opponent! The noise is big.

Hmm, routing??
Never heard about this??
Links and info please!

Ahh, VOX, I never use that as in my application you are firing at an opponent! The noise is big.

Hmm, routing??
Never heard about this??
Links and info please!

I cant remember where I found it, I was searching for a solution, it may have been Youtube featuring this BT adapter, overall I just tested it and gave up for later.
The gist I think was to link the adapter to your mobile and the ear/mic to your mobile so it works thru the phone - something like that, but I took it as just being rubbish, like most of these things offbeat. There was some explanation but I was well past caring by then. I cant see how that would function.

Latest posts