⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be nice to find where that spec came from Tribsa..looks like it may have travelled a little way..but not too far..It may be worth putting the detector away and start digging..best of luck..

Had another great day on Sunday, went for a wander up a hill detecting and think I may have found a reef starting to poke out of the ground, dug some of the quartz out and managed to pull this lot. Had to leave as I ran out of time and I know I left at least 5 targets in the ground ;) I will go back and dig further as the quartz heads down at an angel, very excited. I had to break most pieces out of quartz.

1450219874_img_20151213_215459-optimized.jpg

Baldy said:
Would be nice to find where that spec came from Tribsa..looks like it may have travelled a little way..but not too far..It may be worth putting the detector away and start digging..best of luck..
Yeah baldy it came from an area between a couple of known reefs. It didnt travel far at all and i alternate between the goldbug and the pan depending on how i feel on the day. Usually find enough with the pan to keep me interested :)

Nice find mate looks very promising congrats hope you find a heap there :D
tryhard1968 said:
Had another great day on Sunday, went for a wander up a hill detecting and think I may have found a reef starting to poke out of the ground, dug some of the quartz out and managed to pull this lot. Had to leave as I ran out of time and I know I left at least 5 targets in the ground ;) I will go back and dig further as the quartz heads down at an angel, very excited. I had to break most pieces out of quartz.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../1450219874_img_20151213_215459-optimized.jpg

This is a few months old now sorry guys but I'm sure a few people out there are yet to see them.
These are my finds after my first two afternoons on a private property around Orange NSW.
All in all myself and two mates ended up pulling over an ounces out of an area 60m2.
With dozens of bits of sweet candy ranging from .10 to 15 grams.
Speaking of that 15 gram nugget, the story of its unearthing is one of good friendship and hard digging that I'll share bellow.
But it all started two days earlier when I first went to this property. On arrival the owner informed me the area got hit with detectors pretty hard back in the late 80's and early 90's without much luck just bullets and rusty nails mainly. So after an hour or so of chatting the property owner and I come to the agreement that if I find any nuggets bigger than a car hubcap we're going halves but I can pocket anything smaller "hell yes" who could argue with that? What a deal. Anyway you wouldn't dream of it, after no more than 15 minutes in to swinging I walked back to his house and put that sweet 2.4 grammer in his weathered hand (The largest nugget in the first photo). All he could say was "That's why them bastards kept coming back haha" what a champ. That was the very first of many nuggets he would hold in the next few months. So the story of this 15 gramer, god help me :rolleyes:. Well a close friend of mine had been swinging his SDC2300 for a few months and was keen to jag his first +gram bit having found multiple sub gramers. At the time I was about to start my third day on the patch and knowing there was plenty of +gram bits to be found friendship overpowered any hint of gold fever and I invited him to come along. It was the first early morning start I had done on the patch and come 10:00am I had 8 bits in the old film canister and my mate had 1 sub gramer. I could see he was getting rather frustrated as he was working up a gully that had heavy trash and it was deep trash to boot, not long after digging another bit of iron from about 14" he called me over to get my thoughts on a screaming signal he had in a hole about 11" deep "another bit of shit I'd say" he told me. But on inspection it seemed he had hit some kind of cap rock, not hard cap rock like in WA but soft almost like fine conglomerate shale the pick punched in to it pretty easy and we knew the target was under it, so straight away we thought it couldn't be junk could it? So being sure to drive the pointy end of the pick in to the cap away from the target we managed to break it apart and get the target out of the hole. My mate started working through the pile when he got a scream off a nice clump of clay, thinking the target was much smaller than the clump he squeezed it between his fingers but it wasn't any smaller just then his finger pushed the clay aside and gold met sunlight for the first time in a long time maybe ever. My mate was speechless with his hands shaking from shock, there it was his beautiful 15g nugget. Welcome to the +gram club bro. :D

Sorry about my crappy grammar and I hope you enjoyed the story.

Cheers,

Hoff.

One half of "The Bearded Prospectors". ;)
1450610546_new_patch2.jpg
1450610586_new_patch1.jpg

Great story HG, thanks for posting. They are some nice nuggets mate. Well done to the both of you. It's a good feeling seeing a mate excited over a great find. I hope plenty more come your way.

Great read Hoffs. Its great to see others getting enjoyment out of finding the yellow. Does funny things to some people but makes others closer. Great to see you guys cleaning up!

That's a fantastic story Hoff. I think we all dream of finding a patch like that but few of us ever do. With that much trash it must have been mined many years ago. It makes you wonder how much those old timers took out to leave that much behind...

Cheers for the feedback guys, if I could only write a story like I can tell one haha, it's a skill capturing a moment in words and one I'm keen to get better at. Cheers stoyve Ill chase up the boys and well try get a photo of all the gold off that spot together, be good to look back on. Cheers NeoGeo & walshie1000 and very true guys its a great feeling feeding the passion within another and fingers crossed a few spots around Ophir that he has access to gives me a chance to jag a slug. It has been a great patch Moneybox and every time Im out there I think what they must of found back in the day but I guess we need to put it all in prospective, these men needed this gold to live and feed their families, god it must have been the hardest of slogs for them. Its great being in a position where I can find this gold for the pure fun of it!! Shame The Bearded Prospectors wasnt up and going at the time as it would of made some great viewing. But we'll get on to another patch I'm sure of it! :D Cheers

Nice gold Hoff and Chucky, good motivational tools those pictures, might go for a swing tomorrow after viewing those!

Latest posts