⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, the bigger bits are not common, but there are still heaps out there, the only catch is the remaining ones have become very good at hiding. Hopefully this might give you a little more motivation to get back out there and play the game. You never know your luck... In my experience, the more you try, the luckier you get.

This rock weighs 493 g and based on SG calcs has 319.4 g of gold in it. It looks nice, but I must admit it feels even better :)
IMG_3561.JPGIMG_3560.JPGIMG_3562.JPG

Very nice , are you going to extract the gold.
If it were mine it would stay as is.
Beautiful.

The other day I found two smallish rocks - one quartz and the other ironstone - and both gave good signals. I brought them home and a friend helped to break them up and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much gold was in them. Not enough to retire on, but this was only my third time out so I was very happy.

I would like to get peoples advice on what is the best way to extract the gold from rocks like these? Or is it better not to extract? My piece of quartz was nowhere near as big and impressive as Stingray’s.

Also, I have just read about an acid bath. Can someone please explain how to do an acid bath, and when would you use it?

Thanks all.
Cheers
Jules
42E573AE-96AB-4E45-97D0-F901CACDE0FE.jpeg

OK, the bigger bits are not common, but there are still heaps out there, the only catch is the remaining ones have become very good at hiding. Hopefully this might give you a little more motivation to get back out there and play the game. You never know your luck... In my experience, the more you try, the luckier you get.

This rock weighs 493 g and based on SG calcs has 319.4 g of gold in it. It looks nice, but I must admit it feels even better :)
View attachment 508View attachment 509View attachment 510

Near the surface with a metal detector or out of a mine?

The other day I found two smallish rocks - one quartz and the other ironstone - and both gave good signals. I brought them home and a friend helped to break them up and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much gold was in them. Not enough to retire on, but this was only my third time out so I was very happy.

I would like to get peoples advice on what is the best way to extract the gold from rocks like these? Or is it better not to extract? My piece of quartz was nowhere near as big and impressive as Stingray’s.

Also, I have just read about an acid bath. Can someone please explain how to do an acid bath, and when would you use it?

Thanks all.
Cheers
Jules
View attachment 520

Jules, Get a bottle of Alibright from Supercheap Auto. It's an aluminium cleaning product with about 5% Hydrofluoric acid and does a nice job of cleaning your nuggets if you soak then in it for a day or two.

Jules, Get a bottle of Alibright from Supercheap Auto. It's an aluminium cleaning product with about 5% Hydrofluoric acid and does a nice job of cleaning your nuggets if you soak then in it for a day or two.
Thanks so much Moneybox - I’ll give it a go.

Thanks Jaros. That is very interesting, I will have a read up about it too, and give it a go. Not sure yet how I will attach my tiny bits of gold to a string 😂 but I’m sure I will come up with something.

He says to use the purest water you can get, would distilled water work?

Latest posts