⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Varts, nice idea mate! Might give it a try on a scrap before attempting it on that tourmaline though, but I'll definitely look into it. I've been stuck in the "round and ovals" mode as for cabs, but the cube idea sounds sweet, kinda like a Greene & Greene ebony plug (I'm a bit into woodworking too I must confess :D)

Some of you may have seen my Blue and Green Saph I had cut. Blue one is 2 carat oval brilliant and the green is over 4 carat cabochon.

The pics don't do them justice as my lighting was bad, but they are much prettier in real life.

I hope the wife will be happy.

1420757128_bluusahpsolitaire.jpg

1420757128_bluusahpsolitaire1b.jpg

1420757128_greensaphpendant.jpg

1420757128_greensaphpendant1b.jpg

The blue one sparkles in the sun and the green one changes colour from dark to a a lighter jade green in the light.

Got the sterling silver settings from aussie sapphire, great value at about $25 each.

So there you have it guys, from dirt to gem!

1420757477_gs1a.jpg

1420757797_blusaphuncut.jpg

It makes it special when you find, cut and set your gems. Looks nice Mrs Twapster should be happy.

Very nice mate :) There is definately something special about stones you have found yourself being cut and set. When I eventually facet (first lesson might be tonight, if not then next week) the topaz and smokies I found at Mount Gibson and set them, they will always remind me of the time that Father-in-law and I braved the far northern tropical summer and headed out to Mount Gibson, beating off swarms of blood-sucking march flies in the gully and extreme 4WDing to the top of the mountain to dig for the gemstones that will feature in the piece. Definately makes them all the more special I reckon :)

definite satisfaction taking a stone from start to "finished product"!! I can look at them and recall all the memories associated with them, that's the priceless part.

They look great Twapster, the wife will love them. MY friend lost the tiny bit Turquoise from this vintage Gold pendant and I just whipped out some Sapphs and picked one that fit. Was actually the smallest stone I had. It's going to look perfect once set in there by her jeweler, she loves it. It's awesome finding your own gems and seeing a final product I agree.

1420948614_20150110_175359.jpg

Looks nice - Presume you found the gem is it your cut or a Thai special? :)

Dughug said:
Looks nice - Presume you found the gem is it your cut or a Thai special? :)

Cheers, yes an Inverell stone, I don't cut stones mate, this one was way too small to do locally, was from my last batch of Thai cuts.

"Emeral baryon" cut citrine, around 11 carats.
Gave me some headache, and I did not expect this weathered rough chocolate smoky quartz to give such a nice color (the rought looked chocolate-brown).

Cutting the pavillion as a baryon instead of a classical step cut really adds reflections to the classic emerald shape, I like it and the photo don't do it justice.

1421059530_dsc01290_-_baryon_emerald_citrine.jpg

Not bad for a 2$ stone bought in a garage sale!

Mrs Silver wants to know if you want to make 100% profit on that lovely stone GallicProspector (ha) ?

Nice stone ...
It is " barion"cut ... The name . And implies a step cut facet at girdle ( pavilion ) . Barion is an almagamation of the names of the inventor of the cut and his wife:)
Saving photos of my cuts till I have website running , garnet and tourmaline ... And other stuff.
Keep cutting ...
Barney

I am looking for colored roughs (smokey, amethyst, topaz, zircon...), I do not like white transparent quartz, I do not have the same excitement when I remove the dop as with the last colored stone I cut.
Any advice (website, shop in NSW?)?

pan + sieves + beer + mates + field trip = best shop you can find in Aussie :) For what I know there are plenty of deposits in NSW.
Otherwise, wanna trade that lovely quartz for some rough? =]

Finally spent some quality time with a bit of Aussie goodness. Boulder matrix from the Comet in Koroit, courtesy of Gene McDevitt. Had it home for more than two years (since august 2012) so time was more than due. I first wanted to build an acceptable trim saw to slice them up, which was done last summer. I tried it with a few chunks of local stone, then fed it the less valuable block of the parcel, which had a really nice vein, not very long but with a crazy flash. Had some heating issues at some point which led to a big loss in the rough. While cutting, the slice also broke right smack in the middle, fracturing the good thing into two pieces. Oh, well. I was planning an autofeed on that saw anyway so that's a good reason if I needed one.

So for starters, the cleaned-up and preformed half of the opal vein:
1421540586_opal_before.jpg

Once finished:
1421540628_img_70491.jpg

With the matrix and second bit:
1421540685_img_70493.jpg

In its full glory next to the ruler (in millimeters):
1421540724_img_70494.jpg

Man, is that stuff hard to shoot, or what.

For the guys of the Dremel thread, after slicing it with my homemade tabletop trim saw, I cut it and polished it with the Dremel, ebay diamond disk, then soft mandrel with 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper (used dry) then the buffing wheel (still on the Dremel) with 50k diamond paste. The surface finish could be better when viewed under 20x mag, but to the naked eye it's actually better than a lot of commercial stuff... :cool:

Latest posts