⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1419848389_image.jpg
More smokeys ( thnx again RDD)
1419848081_image.jpg

These ones hard to photo
1419848192_image.jpg
1419848220_image.jpg

First and third shot is the same stone .

Nice stones there Barney, looks like you have well and truly mastered quartz.

I am sure Mr & Mrs RDD will be pleased that some of their mantle piece collection has been transformed into works of art. It certainly will make me stop on the next quartz crystal producing reef and have a more thorough spec.

Keep them coming :p

Barney well and truly demonstrates how fantastic a piece of smokey Quartz can look when well faceted.

Mount Gibson has a lot of smokey Quartz and when we were the the other day, father-in-law found a well- formed crystal the size of a carrot in the first sieve. It's only partly transparent but it's a nice specimen. I found three or four the size of the ones in Barney's hand that are good faceting material and will have a go at them after I've cut a few practice stones (start learning to facet when the club resumes after the holidays).

Doesn't seem to be any amethyst or citrine there though, only smokey for some reason.

Have to add that while the stuff from Lowmead is almost all badly cracked, I haven't found that colour smokey anywhere else - a very nice shade of smokey purple that is halfway between smokey and amethyst.

Sodabowski said:
I'd be curious to see that shade Lefty, got some eyecandy to share?

No worries, will just have to wait until I get back home, can't upload photos on this iPad. It's a neat, portable little device but give me an actual physical keyboard any day.

Lefty you can use a real Apple bluetooth keyboard along with that stuff. I do it with my iPhone 3GS, quite mandatory when you have to write lengthy messages! They're lightweight and the same size than the wired Apple keyboards, without the numeric pad though.

Sodabowski said:
Lefty you can use a real Apple bluetooth keyboard along with that stuff. I do it with my iPhone 3GS, quite mandatory when you have to write lengthy messages! They're lightweight and the same size than the wired Apple keyboards, without the numeric pad though.

Cheers, I might grab myself one. I can't see an actual usb on this iPad that can take the card reader though. The device itself can take photos but they just aren't up to scratch compared with my camera.

I'm not very computer-savvy, I take it the keyboard you're referring to is a wireless connection?

I guess you could get some kind of wireless reader for the SD card from the camera?

Lefty said:
Sodabowski said:

Cheers, I might grab myself one. I can't see an actual usb on this iPad that can take the card reader though. The device itself can take photos but they just aren't up to scratch compared with my camera.

I'm not very computer-savvy, I take it the keyboard you're referring to is a wireless connection?

I guess you could get some kind of wireless reader for the SD card from the camera?

indeed mate, there is a plethora of keyboards that will work with ipads, i work at officeworks and even we have about 5 different types ranging from small pocket size to normal size and from $40 to ipad covers with built in keyboards for around $100.
these are very popular right now http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ard-black-lokgkbia2b?searchTerm=ipad keyboard

you can also buy adaptors for the ipad which enables a standard SD camera card to be plugged in. you can also download applications for free which will compress the picture size so it can be uploaded to PA. and these are the adaptors depending if you have an older or newer ipad
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ection-kit-apmc531zma?searchTerm=ipad adaptor

Yes, there's a bunch of stuff that you can youse wirelessly or via the built-in dock port of the iPhone/iPad. Really handy.

Cool.

I'm only familiar with having to stick the card reader in the main computer and transfer the photos to it and then upload them to a photo sharing website that converts them to the format needed to be able to post them on most Internet forums. If I had been able to upload photos directly to forums I would do it rather than having to wait until I get back home, some 1200km from where I am now.

Got some good photos from Mount Gibson. I filled a gout tablet bottle with topaz yesterday, much of it little bits probably too small to facet (I was using a fine sieve) but there's some much bigger bits that are definite cutters among the lot. Wil put picccies up when I get home, as well as getting a new bottle of gout tablets, otherwise I won't be fossicking for some time!

completely off topic so last post about it but if you want a hand with tech stuff lefty im glad to help out. ill let you know next time im up in sapphire maybe catch up for a dig and a lesson for both of us (me some more stone knowledge and you some more tech knowledge)

Another of the cabs I cut a few years ago, it's a brazilian paraiba tourmaline, not worth the twenty bucks I paid for the rough since it had a crack that can't be seen in the seller's pic, but I managed to kinda save the day by cabbing it.

1420294426_jrg-0002.jpg

1420294499_img_70364.jpg

1420294524_img_70366.jpg

4,2 carats (50,9% yield) on a crap-shaped broken crystal, the sister might come up with a way to mount it (prolly with some accents around) and sell it I hope.

I also cut a columbian emmy in the matrix for which I don't have a rough shot, still needs a final polish but I like the effect that it produced.

1420294816_img_70361.jpg

1420294860_img_70362.jpg

Still have like hundreds of carats of that material, but studying to graduate as a science teacher leaves so little time to concentrate on anything creative :|

you need to eat mate after that you will have a lot of school holidays for being creative keep the pics coming thanks mate ;) ;) ;)

Well yeah that's for sure, plenty of time down the road to visit the world!
Got some Aussie goodness in the making, but that Comet boulder matrix opal still needs some love before I can show it up here ;)

Thomas nice work,it is so hard free hand cab on a wheel for the beginner,I found anyway.
But a bit of experience they go pretty quick,that tourmaline would look nice in a fancy cube cut?

Latest posts