Trilobyte App

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

G'day

Has anybody else had trouble getting this app to work or is it just me?, I have all but given up trying to make it work on my android tablet and despite begging for help have had no joy with it so far.

The location icon does not appear on the screen to show your location, and despite many attempts and settings to try to make this happen it does not work, checked everything as advised and still no joy with it, also sometimes the map freezes and needs to be closed down and re opened.

I removed it from the tablet in the idea of downloading it anew and trying it again even that is now an issue.

cheers

stayyerAU

No problems to speak of tbh. :Y:

Maybe free up some space on your tablet if it's getting full or clear the app cache and re install it.

Best of luck!

No problem here.
But I do use it on my iPhone and iPad.
It has been faultless. I also use it as a gps to mark my vehicle in the bush
When I have to do a bit of legwork in a new location
Hope you get it sorted

iPad and iPhone for me and it also has been faultless.

I know this is a dumb question Stayer but the tablet you have is GPS enabled? Sorry to ask that but I do know people that had a non-GPS enabled tablet and wondered why they couldn't get a location on it.

I had a question about the layers or something a year ago and just emailed the designer - he got back to me really quickly. Could try that?

Is your tablet up to the spec that the app needs to run it?

Bets of luck with it :Y:

Gday

I bought a new tablet just for this purpose, I made sure it was an android device, with sim card slots and gps, downloaded all the information, overlays and so on, paid the fees for it, messaged the designer a few times and followed the instructions given, re downloaded google maps, down loaded an app to check if the gps was actually operating as instructed, but could see it was acquiring the satellites but it still did not seem to want work.

Pretty much given it away for now, I think the problem with a lot of these things is that you already have to have a knowledge base of how things work like smart phones and tablets which I do not, only had dumb phones up until now, so when you are given instructions they are given like you should already know what they are on about.

My so called mate could not be bothered to help me out, as he is very familiar with these things, so needless to say he is also on my chit list.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
G'day

Has anybody else had trouble getting this app to work or is it just me?, I have all but given up trying to make it work on my android tablet and despite begging for help have had no joy with it so far.

The location icon does not appear on the screen to show your location, and despite many attempts and settings to try to make this happen it does not work, checked everything as advised and still no joy with it, also sometimes the map freezes and needs to be closed down and re opened.

I removed it from the tablet in the idea of downloading it anew and trying it again even that is now an issue.

cheers

stayyerAU

You have probably looked through these videos over and over but a rerun may reveal something you are missing.
Used the app for the first time this month and after initial problems (was using the wrong link to open it) it then worked a treat.

https://trilobite.solutions/maps/videos/

Good luck, this app takes you too another level finding your way around.

Sorry to change the topic . Hay just picked up on this thread trilobite sounds good how much is it, does it work well on the Victorian gold fields thanks john

G'day

Thanks for the responses, I am still trying to download the Gps status and toolbox app as suggested by the creator, so I can test the gps is working on the device, but when I try to download it, it is telling me that the app is not compatible with my device because the old tablet I had is still coming up in the selection box, despite having removed it from my google account, it wont allow me to select the new tablet even though it is appearing in the selection box, the screen then just goes opaque and that's all I cant do anything with it wtf.

Should have known better than to think I would have any chance of getting something a bloody chimpanzee could even get to work, ffs, if it were raining F*****S I would get hit with an A*****E

cheers

stayyerAU

old hand said:
Sorry to change the topic . Hay just picked up on this thread trilobite sounds good how much is it, does it work well on the Victorian gold fields thanks john

works everywhere in Australia, best thing since sliced bread, the basic subscription is very cheap, and you pay a bit more for the current leases on which ever state your working in, so like for us it is WA, so you get the same live and pending leases etc that are in Tengraph, and there are a variety of map choices to use as well like Topo and Geo etc.

Just do all your downloading at home and then it only need the satellite for you to use all the features when out and about.

cheers dave

old hand said:

Hi John,

$12 per yr trilobite very functional app 4 your phone
$12 per yr for the Vic Gold info package.
Tutorial videos
Google maps, terrain and sattelite is where the app view starts
You then load (all?)
[quick tip - have or fit an sd card to save files too via download prompt]
Contains
Geology Maps various
Magnetics
Regolith
Field Gold records
Toppo's the lot.

Using it for 12 months love it.
Just an electronic adjunct to the paper map
Or GeoVic but you prospect, take it with you on your mophone and refer to your trilobite info and location.

Yep does satellite gps too, traks trails records events like GE and guides you to camp too.

Do take your normal gps with you though.
Cheers wilko.

G'day

Thanks for all the information and help, but alas there seems no solution to getting this thing to work, I have spent too many hours already and have just given it up and decided that I will return the tablet that I bought and replace it with a new one and then try again, I could not get the gps function to work regardless of the settings, it would work when connected to the wi fi at home but as soon as it was out of range nothing, downloaded a gps app to test it but the app did nothing and provided no answer, one of the biggest problems with technology is that unless you are already experienced with some of these devices its even hard for a person to follow the instructions on how to rectify problems as you have to learn as you go, and people just assume that you know what you are doing in the first place.

When you buy a device for a particular purpose like I did you just assume that the thing will do what it is supposed to and function correctly, problem is if it does not you can spend many hours as I have trying to learn and sort this out and still get nowhere, and regardless of the amount of information available on google and so forth for some reason you can never find an answer that is specific to the problem you are having or it is so long winded that you are unable to understand if it applies to the issue you are having or not, and in the end you just get overwhelmed by the quantity of information and become even more confused by it all.

I have grown with this experience as I resisted the urge to smash it to pieces at least, a few items have fallen victim in the past like a problematic printer that took flying lessons and ended its days in the recycle bin, the new one works a treat and does not ever give any issues, I think its scared of me, I wish the grand kids would hurry and grow up so that they can fix things for me, don't want to waste my last days trying to understand it all, rather be out prospecting.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU,
This may be your best move. During the time you have been trying to get your original tablet to accept Trilobite you probably inadvertently removed a critical component.
With your new tablet carefully work through the installation, feel sure success will come your way.

If it makes you feel any better, my google account login email differs from the email I used to pay for Trilobite.
Have the app up and running on my tablet and after recent trip decided to install it on my mobile phone.
When I proceeded it asked for another payment. Checked the Trilobite site and it clearly states, one purchase covers owners several applications.
Contacted developer and he checked details and the only solution was to reset my mobile (lose all apps and data and begin from scratch) The google email matching my payment email if I wasn't prepared to pay twice.
Needless to say I'll just stick with the program on my tablet. Never take the mobile with me out on the field any way so the grief of starting my mobile again is needless.

Good luck, feel sure you'll have good news next post.

Cheers

I had the same dramas between my iphone and my ipad like Nighjay, sadley i stuffed up in buying a wifi only tablet but fixed now by buying a Bad Elf dongle for the ipad ($250.00 on Ebay) and it works a treat,You have to make sure your Android is gps enabled, i also contacted the Trilobite site and was told the same thing, so dumped the phones stuff apart from some nugget pics and loaded it on there and all good, like Nighjar i had a couple of different passwords but now have eevrything on the same password as the older i get the more forgetfull i get hehehehhe and cannot remember them sometimes, i also use gmail now and dumped the bigpond mail, its handy to have a google account as well for recovery purposes on passwords, hope this helps.

It's a great app. Fairly priced and works like a treat. Make sure you have at least 64GB on your phone and preferably more.

G'day

Well I have not been able to come up with a solution to this problem so the device is going back to the supplier and I will buy another different brand one, its a pity though as with all this issue I have learnt to use this tablet and now know where everything is and how it works, but just can not get the gps to function, and just so that you know if any of you are looking to buy a tablet for this sort of use its a Mediatech TAB 910, this model may best be avoided as in the process of trying to get it to work I have also found that gps problems apparently are a common issue with them, even though there are various fixes advertised on the net for them I have been unable to find one that actually works.

The trilobite app and location feature works when connected to the home wi-fi only, it will not work even when a current sim card is in it or stand alone without the sim card utilizing the inbuilt gps, so all that is left is that the gps chips on these tablets are faulty and the unit should best be avoided unless you can find out how to get it working again.

I want to also say that the Trilobite app is not the problem, its a very useful tool and I would very much like to have it and be able to use it in the field, just unlucky for me that I chose the wrong device to run it on, hopefully I will have more luck with the next tablet I buy.

By the way the seller is being evasive about returning it, so you have to wonder if they know about the issue already?

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts