Is It Time To Reconsider Corporal and Capital Punishment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G'day

I have had this discussion with many people over the years and have found that many people are actually in support of corporal and capital punishment, people have varying views on the subject of course and everybody has a right to their opinion, I wondered if a referendum was held for the re introduction of corporal and capital punishment whether it would gain support.

Most people I have spoken to about it are of the opinion that the system we have does not work and that many people are getting away with very serious crimes without so much as a slap on the wrist, as I have had a family member die at the hands of her husband I felt that the response to this crime was truly inadequate and was a slap in the face and insult to us family members that had to deal with it, and all along having your hands tied to make sure that a reprisal could not take place, I believe myself from this experience that the perpetrators are gaoled to keep them out of harms way by the victims friends or families rather than to teach them a lesson for the crime they committed.

I think also that in this day and age and with the available technology in the field of forensics, there would be little chance that people could be tried for crimes they did not commit, if finding your dna puts you at the crime scene then there would be little doubt that you were there, obviously all the evidence would have to be watertight and adhere to strict guidelines to be beyond all doubt, so no mistake can be made.

Many people have said that this will not stop these sorts of serious crimes from happening and I agree that might be the case, but currently there is no deterrent at all and little respect for other peoples rights or the law as it stands, this has deteriorated because of the wet lettuce approach to punishment we have in place now, a serious deterrent of real punishment will make people think before acting and in any case if the perpetrator is dealt with properly there is no chance that they will re offend, as we have seen many times in the past that once they are back on the street they will almost always re offend given the right situation.

cheers

stayyerAU

DNA does not make you guilty, Holding a gun or knife in your hand that killed somebody does not mean that you are the guilty party.
Do we bring back the Stocks and publicly display the guilty party and egg them and spit on them and pee on them and toss horse crap at them Or maybe bring back the Rack or Draw and quartering or Keel Hauling....None of these things/ punishments stopped crime.....I guess the one sure thing is the death penalty, but even then crime still continues.
Who decides what is a crime, right or wrong?
What is right to some is wrong to another.
There are countries/cultures that still stone people to death for certain crimes, there are some that think beheading is fine while others are disgusted by these punishments and think these punishments are crimes?

Do I think we should reintroduce the Death penalty? Hell yes, it is way cheaper than keeping a killer alive in a nice cozy jail for the rest of his/her life...Feeding them, giving them a job and wages. :D

Won't be long and the termination of criminals will happen in the egg cell and semen stages of life.....pffft.... gone before even the right to lifers can get an elbow in.

DNA sequencing cell destroying microbots added into at least one of the many baby vaccination shots we will all get, laying latent until puberty for the male babies, but able to get to work immediately on all the female babies(as they are born with all the eggs they will ever have already in place).... Ahhh, a future where there will be no guilty(because they were never there in the first place.... no homicides(just accidental causes for death, beyond the control of the causes at the time)..... no petty theft, or abusive relationships..... and if it comes around that someone starts to contempts crime, we'll, I guess their lung walls just stop absorbing oxygen(a quick fix indeed) :D

That's a good example Jaros of one reason why it is cruel. If not for Henry Bolte's pig-headed refusal to grant him a reprieve Ronald Ryan might still be alive today. Which means the whole process then becomes political, based on how a premier perceives the electorate will view him/her at the next election.

It doesn't take into account either what a cruel place Pentridge prison was then. Punishment units that would beat prisoners for the smallest infraction, break their fingers one by one with a hammer, to the point of being no better than the criminals that were in there. Who wouldn't want to escape that? Men became deranged to the point of becoming animals.

If we then base our decision on how much a person costs the tax payer for their incarceration, we have simply turned human beings into a commodity. How long then before we become like many American states, where the prisons are privately owned and listed on the stock exchange? They have an over-representation of African Americans jailed, in a system that then pays them peanuts to produce goods that are sold outside for much more in the regular market, thus helping to increase the owners share price. That's just a modern day version of slavery.

You think anyone has the right to ever kill another? Thats barbaric garbage. Dark ages crap.

Forge said:
You think anyone has the right to ever kill another? Thats barbaric garbage. Dark ages crap.

G'day

When you have to deal with the aftermath of a crime committed to someone you love or a person close to you then perhaps you might have a different opinion on the subject, did the person committing the murder have the right to kill in the first place of course not, that's the barbaric part, to forfeit your life for the life you have taken is a real punishment not the wet lettuce approach that the system has now, where the family and friends have to deal with the loss for the rest of their lives and the lowlife that commits the crime just goes on with their life unpunished.

stayyerAU

Forge said:

Best go have a word to military industrial complex. Seems theyve not got the memo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts