oberon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a quick question about the Oberon area. Just wandering what is the best area to look at first. I will be going there for around 3 nights at the end of this month. I have looked at Sapphire Bend, Sewells causway, and Native Dog creek on the net but they all seem to be similar.
Any ifo would be great. I know there is a bit on this forum which I have already read.
Thanks
Jason.

Mostly chasing gems but will be happy if there is some golden flakes found as well. Just using sieves but will have the Walbanker with me just in case there is enough water around to run it. Not looking for any special spots or spot X, just looking for what area would be most productive.

Im curious bout sapphire bend myself. Do people know what kind of access there is there like qill a commodore get there or do we need a 4wd? And how far is sapphire bend from the parking area etc id there is one?
Cheers :)

Go slow enough you could drive your Ferrari in there Pawny, just need to go slow as there are a few potholes in the gravel road you would not want to hit at speed.

1455242811_image.jpg

Most of the forestry roads are 2wd accessible

The black springs rest area has nice grass and pit toilets but you need to bring your own water.

No 4x4 needed, just don't try driving into the public fossicking area in your commodore or it will sink into mud up to it's axles. You can park anywhere along Sapphire bend Rd, if you are not digging in the public fossicking area you'll need a state forest permit.

There are diggings all over the public area and along Sapphire Bend Rd itself, you can't really miss them if you check out a map and know where you're going.

Interesting map there lol i might need you to decipher it for me lmao im heading out there sunday if anyone wants to tag along maybe show me the ropes. Would be good :)

Good luck out there Pawny. Let us know how you go. We will be out there from the 23rd till 26th.

Thanks im only having a go out there to see how i go hehe its my first time since i was a toddler getting gems and when i did it as a kid im pretty sure it was at a fossicking tourist attraction lol.

Hi Pawny, good luck at the bend.

To get to the public area, turn off Abercrombie Road on to Riverview Road (note that in google maps, it's called "Riverview Forest Road". Drive slowly and after a few minutes on your right you will first see a little green sign (about waste height) that says "Fossicking Area", you will then see a larger green sign a bit further down the road - there is a bit of a clearing on the right side of the road where you can pull over off the road. You will see holes everywhere. Get in a hole and start digging out the wash layer just above the clay base. It can be pretty hard in some places, so picks, crow bars etc will come in handy.

There isn't any water at the Bend to sieve the gravel, so either pop it in the car and take it down Riverview Road to the dam on the right, or bring your own water and a tub. If you take your own water and tub, just be prepared with some heavy duty garbage bags if you need to get the tub back into the car - you will end up with a pretty thick wad of sticky clay in the bottom of your tub and on everything.

Last tip - the gravel at the Bend is pretty heavy, so check the whole sieve when you flip it out - because the sapphires won't always separate well from the rest of the rocks - unlike places like Grabben Gullen, they won't always be sitting on the top and in the middle - no matter how good your sieving technique is.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info phantom. Are there any areas suitable for camping or designated camping areas around Sapphire Bend Rd??

Jason.

Thats some awesome info there phantom :) im in the process of getting a permit :) thanks for the great info guys sorry to hijack your thread willo i had some questions about oberon myself so instead of posting a new thread just popped it in here :)

Sapphire Bend has produced Sapphire's up to 30ct and a few diamonds.

If I could go back I'd really want to check out Reg's Flat more apparently the true home of a 28ct diamond reported from Mt Werong. I was only there one time and it was spent trying to convince the kids the hole I was trying to dig was not a new sand pit. Exploration became impossible and had to give up. But did spec a small silky saph on the road. Also noticed a few fresh test holes someone had done using an auger type tool.
Apparently a ton of gravel revealed 60ct of fine green,blue and parti colour stone up to 18ct's.

There is also another area on the North side (Poss Ponderosa or Willow spring?????) where the road come close to the edge of the plantation it cuts through the gravel layer. Apparently good pickings used to be found on the side of the road.

HTH

Where abouts is Reg's flat Mr Magoo. Can't find any info on it or find it anywhere on maps?? There is an area that looks like a box in the Mt Werong state forest. Not sure if this is private property of a camping area of some sort.

As Heatho says. But it's the very head waters of the fish river????? (IIRC) which is on the Southern side of River view road where the dam is.

The diamond was announced as being found at Mt Werong. Possibly this one http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...erm=diamond mt werong Donaldson&searchLimits=

But apparently that was a red herring to throw of potential competition but was really found at Reg's flat (named after another bloke who found diamonds in the area). And I'm fairly sure I read an article about someone was mining for diamond on the Fish river.

Another area I wish I had checked out would be the test pits at Sapphire bend (didn't know exactly what they were before). Well overgrown when I last visited.

Regarding the DIGS site, what I have done is put any info I get from there or mine data sheets and pin it to google earth at the location given.

HTH

1455421457_map.gif

Latest posts