oberon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found a very nice cuttable 2ct blue in the clearing close Mr Magoo's SB-2 area but I've found that one stone to be the exception. Would love to hear of others experience at sapphire bend :)

've seen a few nice stones come from there, a few members have posted pics of decent size stones from there but I've never found one in the five or so times I've been there. I usually head up to Inverell instead. Will probably head back out to Sapphire Bend soon to have a dig and see what I can find with a few mates.

I have found numerous smaller size blues, the clarity of colour is absolutely amazing but they have been hard work in the holes I have decided to dig.

I have eyeballed some rippers up to about 8ct from holes others have decided to dig right next to me :eek: including a nice green coloured one.

One day Heath.....one day soon ;)

Willo1 you can camp in the forestry reserve at Black Springs.
Opposite the shop.
The Reserve has flush toilets.

jimnyjerry said:
Willo1 you can camp in the forestry reserve at Black Springs.
Opposite the shop.
The Reserve has flush toilets.

You must have had a great time at Black Springs JJ. And walked away with slightly different rose coloured glass to the ones I had.

The toilets are long drops but are very clean and there is a small tank for wishing your hands that often runs dry so you will need to take your own water.

The reserve has nice long grass and picnic tables and always seems to have a couple of people stopping over. It is located across the road from a shop that hasn't been open for a number of years, so provisions are best secured in Oberon.

As far as free camps are concerned, it is a great spot.

Just be wary of the big trees in strong wind as they are known to drop a few branches.

Well i tried my luck today and bombed miserabally in my eyes. Lol i tried to find the right layer but was so hard to tell apart from clay and pebble filled clay. I had a distinct layer and grey dirt then red clay then a hard packed gravvely red dirt but i didnt get much just some tiny ones bout 2mm max in size lol im sure i wasnt on the mark or was i? One old fell bout 80 comes up to me and says "i did well out of this hole. Got myself a few good nuggets and some decent sapphires. Then in that hole just there i got this" he rips out a 17ct sapphire was just almost perfectly round a nice blue colour and not a crack or blemish through it. My jaw dropped he assured me the gravel i was in was it but i think i got a dud lol

Thanks JJ and Wally, not sure what we are going to do but probably end up just camping where we will be digging.

I live in the forest at Black Springs and would be happy with a club weekend. If I don't get a good feeling or if I find you disrespecful you'll be out in a second. Ask digginholes and heatho, I''m easy to get along with. There's been colour found, and camping is sweet. I won't ask for $$$ but I wouldn't say no to any craft beer, commercial beer unaccepable currency :D
edit, I'm not organizing but will agree to weekend if I'm available

Lol man id love to live sonewhere in a nice forest like that. I really like them pine forests they remind me of something out of those asian kungfu movies where people jump backwards 30feet into a tree lol

No rose coloured glasses, just a faulty memory.
Was thinking of the old toilet block not the new one with the composting toilet. Been a while since I camped there.

Yes store is shut and as long as you do not mind a few trucks and a bunch of noisy cockatoos some nights it is a nice spot to camp.

There is even a memorial to an old sapphire digger back in the trees.

Pawny said:
Lol man id love to live sonewhere in a nice forest like that. I really like them pine forests they remind me of something out of those asian kungfu movies where people jump backwards 30feet into a tree lol

Yeah I love it, I drive through 4km every morning and night, it's a great start and end to the day :D

Matturbo said:
I live in the forest at Black Springs and would be happy with a club weekend. If I don't get a good feeling or if I find you disrespecful you'll be out in a second. Ask digginholes and heatho, I''m easy to get along with. There's been colour found, and camping is sweet. I won't ask for $$$ but I wouldn't say no to any craft beer, commercial beer unaccepable currency :D
edit, I'm not organizing but will agree to weekend if I'm available

Yeah, very easy going bloke, looking forward to a dig mate. :) Hopefully we can all catch up and have a beer and a feed around the campfire, oh and recover some stones too of course.

Pawny said:
Well i tried my luck today and bombed miserabally in my eyes. Lol i tried to find the right layer but was so hard to tell apart from clay and pebble filled clay. I had a distinct layer and grey dirt then red clay then a hard packed gravvely red dirt but i didnt get much just some tiny ones bout 2mm max in size lol im sure i wasnt on the mark or was i? One old fell bout 80 comes up to me and says "i did well out of this hole. Got myself a few good nuggets and some decent sapphires. Then in that hole just there i got this" he rips out a 17ct sapphire was just almost perfectly round a nice blue colour and not a crack or blemish through it. My jaw dropped he assured me the gravel i was in was it but i think i got a dud lol

G'day Pawny , was the old fella's name TEX ? , he lives local & can put you into some nice holes , as he has done with a few of us over the months

And yes he has a couple of BEAUT sapphires

I also heard that forestry had cut the trees down & filled all the sapphire holes in that part of the forerst ?

Is that the case ?

Cheers Paul

Latest posts