oberon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matturbo said:
I live in the forest at Black Springs and would be happy with a club weekend. If I don't get a good feeling or if I find you disrespecful you'll be out in a second. Ask digginholes and heatho, I''m easy to get along with. There's been colour found, and camping is sweet. I won't ask for $$$ but I wouldn't say no to any craft beer, commercial beer unaccepable currency :D
edit, I'm not organizing but will agree to weekend if I'm available

Sounds like someone has had problems before?

I've had fence jumpers, plus there's a few blokes on here with attitudes that aren't welcome, like complaining if a cocky denies access when door knocking as if they had the right to be on their private land. And there's a reason private land is getting harder to get access to. It's my home, and the more people that know about the place, the more problems I'll have. I'm just being carefull and I can't stand rude people. Holes need to be filled, if the horses I agist break their legs, I'll cop it. I've met a few good friends through this forum so I'm willing to give access to a few more. If I'm being unreasonable, I'll just stick to the few blokes I know and trust.

Matturbo. That seems completely reasonable id be in the same boat. Its your place your property your only doin them a favour by letting them be there, i myself hate disrespectful people actually one of my pet hates. I was always taught you treat peoplet he way you want to be treated and its always done me good in life. No point shitting on ur mates :)

Matturbo or anyone else who may be over there between the 23rd and 26th Feb, if you see a green Pajero, a silver Triton and two blokes who look like they have no idea what their doing, that will be us. Feel free to stop by, we will be more than happy to offer you a cold one and have a chin wag.

Jason.

Yep, all sounds fair enough. I'd feel the same way if it were my place.

there's a few blokes on here with attitudes that aren't welcome, like complaining if a cocky denies access when door knocking as if they had the right to be on their private land

Perhaps some of these comments are made out of frustration? You're a very lucky bloke, far luckier than 99.99% of fossickers in that you have your own private fossicking area in your back yard. This is something almost all other fossickers can only dream of.

It is not a very good time in history to be a fossicker/prospector, certainly not in Queensland at least. People doing the wrong thing in the past has tainted property owners attitudes but the spectre of public liability is right up there with it - simply put, people suing property owners because they didn't look where they put their own clumsy foot in the bush and hurt themselves has pretty much ruined everything. How willing would you be to take the risk that letting people on your place for a scratch ended with litigation?

There was a time when we prospectors could hold a small miners right applicable in rural areas - it was prospectors who opened up Queensland on the heels of the early explorers, pastoralists and others came later. There were rules, you could not approach a house, shed or other structure within a certain distance, you could not interfere with fences, gates, troughs, bores, stock etc. If you breached the rules, you could lose it.

But small miners rights were repealed some years ago and with it, the number of fossicking opportunities available to most people fell to zero. My region encompasses a vast tract of land, probably almost as big as a small European country. The dominant geology is volcanic and as such, gemmy things are to be found dotted all about the place. Number of legally sanctioned fossicking areas in my region? Zero. Zip, zero, zilch, nada, none. The nearest such area is 5-6 hours drive away from me, too far for a weekend trip.

Large tracts of land have been set aside by state government for timber - that is to say that unlike a national park, every tree with a millable log will eventually be cut down - but if I walk in there and stick a pick in the ground, I'm a criminal and can be punished most severely. Strangely, 4WD clubs can often take their vehicles in there and rip up hillsides with big off-road tyres but if I run a single sieve full of dirt through, I'm gone.

So that leaves us only private property to pursue our once-legitimate recreational activity - and I can tell you that polite requests made to property owners almost always result in a flat "no".

How times change. Prospectors opened up Queensland but now we are almost second-class citizens - distrusted by landholders, despised by greens (who are in policy-making positions of power), effectively locked out of all but a tiny handful of purpose-made areas scattered very, very far and wide across an enormous state.

There can be no excuse for trespassing - but the frustration is understandable from my point of view.

Hey Headbut yeh im pretty sure Tex was his name he had some good stories to tell :) nice bloke very friendly and was happy to help. He wasnt even diggin to be honest just walking around givin me a hand and tryint to help out and another bloke lol nicest fella :)

I understand your point Lefty, I'm a shooter and hunter and pretty much bought my place so I didn't have to chase a property to play on. Unfortunatly a few wankers in all hobbies ruin it for everyone with trust. I know it's hard to find a place so I'm happy to share my paradise. My point is if I don't get along with someone, which is rare, I shouldn't have to "put up" with them at home.

willo1 said:
Matturbo or anyone else who may be over there between the 23rd and 26th Feb, if you see a green Pajero, a silver Triton and two blokes who look like they have no idea what their doing, that will be us. Feel free to stop by, we will be more than happy to offer you a cold one and have a chin wag.

Jason.

Sounds good, I'll drop in after work one of the days :)

Tex is a nice old bloke, almost every time I'm there he drives through stops for a chat and a little dig. Mostly chat lol but as you say pawny he has some great stories.

I'm working on a leave pass to get up there to catch up with Matt and hopefully get some good results from a test hole, if I get up there I'll come say g'day willo

Matturbo said:
I live in the forest at Black Springs and would be happy with a club weekend. If I don't get a good feeling or if I find you disrespecful you'll be out in a second. Ask digginholes and heatho, I''m easy to get along with. There's been colour found, and camping is sweet. I won't ask for $$$ but I wouldn't say no to any craft beer, commercial beer unaccepable currency :D
Really!!! You need more beer lol lol ;)

Well im keen to get out there again. Theae test holes u speak of are they these square small pits i saw every now and then? When i was there they were full of water though and so was almost every other hole for that matter lol. I didnt move much dirt but i might have a dig around next time im out there start my own hole and see where i go from there :)

My test holes are not at sb, I usualy dig at sb and take a few buckets away with me from a hole I know holds gems then hit a bunch of places testing for Virgin ground and new locations

Ivo said:
Matturbo said:
By my calculations Ivo it's your shout, I shouted when you dropped in my shop :p

Matturbo said:
Ivo said:
Matturbo said:
By my calculations Ivo it's your shout, I shouted when you dropped in my shop :p
Yea lol I've got the vb especially for ya lol lol :D :D ;) ;) :p :p

Ivo said:
Matturbo said:
Ivo said:
Matturbo said:
Yea lol I've got the vb especially for ya lol lol :D :D ;) ;) :p :p
:mad: :mad: :mad: :p :( :p

Vb is good for something to wash your feet in lol.
Matt get me one of those cider kits and let me know what I owe u, or if you feel nice just brew me a case ;)

Latest posts