Yellow Fever

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found a nice little patch which I drive past every time and not pay any attention too and thought id have a quick peak with the detector and picked up a faint signal with the AT gold.
wasn't going to dig it for a start as it never gave me a reading on the screen and lucky I did was a small .21 gram nugget my firsty anyhow.

Well done Jesse, and a good reminder to dig every signal on those gold fields....especially those soft ones. The first is always the hardest, so hope the next one is just around the corner.... :)

Cheers Wal.

Jesse,
I too have an AT Gold but am yet to find gold.......I am curious what settings you use. I detect south of Ballarat and am finding it very noisy on the AT when set on full sens and threshhold at 00 on all metal so I have been lowering the threshold to -5 but still noisy though (chattering away)......Recent experiments see that I can lower the sens by 3 notches and up the threshold to 03 on all metal and not lose much sensitivity at all and this certaily does give a much smoother tone which varies slightly when over a small or deep target....

Your thoughts ??

Have you played around with the the Ground Balance Window setting? This will help quieten down the AT Gold in mineralised ground conditions.

1388711291_ground_balance_window_2.jpg

If the ground is highly mineralised causing the detector to become too unstable, your only option is to put it in DISC 1. You'll loose some depth and sensitivity to smaller nuggets but at least you'll still be able to keep on detecting.

Hey thanks Nugget,

Yes I actively use the GB window.....More tests last night and I proved the following;

Even a reduction in sensitivity of 4 notches in all metal is still more sensitive to a 0.5gr lead piece than Disc 1 on full sens. Must have threshold up to 2-3 though to hear the change in pitch.
Whereas the lead was detectected at 100+mm (thru a container of dirt) on full sens it was still detected at 70+mm on -4 notches sens (+3 threshold)....the key point here is that as the detector is so noisy in the field on full sens I wouldnt have heard the signal at 100mm anyway.

So I think the lesson here is that I need to gradually work thru the various settings until it runs reasonbly quietly on the particular ground I am on and that is that!

Is this what you do ??

Dave

PS...my tests toinight will be the same but using a piece of lead of several grams to see how depth on larger targets go regarding the meeting point of all metal with reduced sens compared to Disc 1....

Latest posts