Will Australia become a state of America?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't happen, I've lived there and they certainly breed them different. Not bad, just different....way different! Immigrants keep coming to Australia for the lifestyle, and I think all of us Australians living here would (and should) defend that way of life as did our diggers - it's in our DNA. We will always have an association with the US, but think our worries should be aimed at what lies on our doorstep and how that may affect our country.

If I had to choose, I'd rather be the 51st state of the US than a province of The Peoples Republic of Cheap.

We're traveling better than NZ as far as independence goes too. In NZ the highest court is the Privy Council in England. Ours stops at the High Court of Australia, unless it chooses otherwise.

When I was young I was more inclined to be pro-republic at times, but as I get older I think we've got a pretty good system. A Constitutional monarchy that costs us absolutely nothing other than when they visit us, the same as any other country's head of state. And without its BS system of nobility, peers and titles.

I agree with Manpa's sentiments. Is a republic going to create employment, feed and educate people and solve other problems any better than our current system? I doubt it.
Will it afford us more protection in an ever destabilizing world? I doubt that even more.

Deepseeker said:
If I had to choose, I'd rather be the 51st state of the US than a province of The Peoples Republic of Cheap.

We're traveling better than NZ as far as independence goes too. In NZ the highest court is the Privy Council in England. Ours stops at the High Court of Australia, unless it chooses otherwise.

When I was young I was more inclined to be pro-republic at times, but as I get older I think we've got a pretty good system. A Constitutional monarchy that costs us absolutely nothing other than when they visit us, the same as any other country's head of state. And without its BS system of nobility, peers and titles.

I agree with Manpa's sentiments. Is a republic going to create employment, feed and educate people and solve other problems any better than our current system? I doubt it.
Will it afford us more protection in an ever destabilizing world? I doubt that even more.

All we need to do is be proud of who we are and defend it :power: no 51st state or Republic of China shite should be a thought imho :beer:

Jaros said:
Can anybody tell me which country was the last to become a Republic and how they are faring this year.

Wasn't it Scotland a few years ago if it was I have no idea or interest.

We have to take some of the blame ourselves in regard to China. We saw it coming but looked the other way for the love of money and short term gain. The real estate and education industry are two examples that come to mind.

RM Outback said:
Jaros said:
Can anybody tell me which country was the last to become a Republic and how they are faring this year.

Wasn't it Scotland a few years ago if it was I have no idea or interest.

Scotland isn't a Republic, it is a part of the United Kingdom, made up of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
Italy is a republic, but I think 61 governments in 75 years is ridiculous :lol:

Goldfreak said:
We have to take some of the blame ourselves in regard to China. We saw it coming but looked the other way for the love of money and short term gain. The real estate and education industry are two examples that come to mind.
And we did not consider our sensitivity to falling out with a trading partner as well, by having mostly one trading partner - Chinese tourism is as large as education (more than 50% of the value of our total agricultural exports worldwide). And China takes 50% of our iron ore and most of our coal - and coal may be next now. Diversity of markets is the name of the game for the future. We know now that China is not a reliable trading partner - our problems come from Trumps's trade embargoes, but it is the one area where he was probably right - China needed pulling into line on its trade practices.

If it were not for iron ore bringing in a fortune, and the inability of China to stop its exports short term, we would be up the proverbial creek.

A-team said:
Won't happen, I've lived there and they certainly breed them different. Not bad, just different....way different! Immigrants keep coming to Australia for the lifestyle, and I think all of us Australians living here would (and should) defend that way of life as did our diggers - it's in our DNA. We will always have an association with the US, but think our worries should be aimed at what lies on our doorstep and how that may affect our country.
10% of New Zealanders live in Australia I think....

Jaros said:
Mauritius in 1992 - Barbados will become one in November 2021. Samoa and Nepal became parliamentary democracies in 2007 and 2008. Iran and Zimbabwe in 1980-1.

Difficult to compare (eg Iran was already in revolution and Zimbabwe had been a colony and got a Marxist dictator). Not terribly comparable to Australia....before that Laos, Ethiopia and Eritrea. 'nough said.

Can't compare Scotland and Australia - they are part of a Kingdom, we are not.

Patrick1 said:
RM Outback said:
I state that I will never associate myself with America, I'm True Blue and proud of it :power: :beer:
What about me?

:) your one of us now mate :Y: stated in the context of being an American state. There's plenty of good yanks Pat, you've proved that :Y: like all nationalities all the good ones steer well clear of politics :lol: :beer:

Patrick1 said:
RM Outback said:
I state that I will never associate myself with America, I'm True Blue and proud of it :power: :beer:
What about me?
What about you? It is not a vendetta against Patricks from Maryland - no doubt fine people - but a discussion of what national political system we might consider (or not) other than the British monarchy. I thought you guys went to war against them for the same reason, long ago? :playful:

Just heard that China is not accepting the coal ships off their coast as they have deemed them as inferior quality. Yeah right. Highest quality in the world, well get the engines into full steam ahead and send it to India where we will get a good price and support in the future.
Mackka

Mackka said:
Just heard that China is not accepting the coal ships off their coast as they have deemed them as inferior quality. Yeah right. Highest quality in the world, well get the engines into full steam ahead and send it to India where we will get a good price and support in the future.
Mackka
$700 million in coal in question sounds a lot, but is only around 1% of our annual coal exports to that country. Iron ore is far more than that. It is symbolic I think, China throwing its weight around while affecting noone much,
China has committed to being carbon neutral by 2060, and its imports vary greatly each year.
1606383217_china_coal.jpg

Don't rule out India being the next super nation, 1.3 billion population.
We've seen it through the decades, the different countries we buy from.
While our country is not producing we have to buy from overseas.
More production on our shores and we don't need anyone else!
Other than our car manufacturers, entertainment etc etc etc. :playful:

China is the world's largest coal producer, we are only fourth in the world - we are simply the largest exporter (so they can play with the market). Only 20% of our coking coal exports go to China (the reports don't say what type of coal is referred to).

Nightjar said:
Don't rule out India being the next super nation, 1.3 billion population.
We've seen it through the decades, the different countries we buy from.
While our country is not producing we have to buy from overseas.
More production on our shores and we don't need anyone else!
Other than our car manufacturers, entertainment etc etc etc. :playful:
What type of production? We already export most of our iron, coal, gas, gold, agricultural produce - that only leaves tourism and education (manufacturing hardly exists). Realistically we should focus on becoming self-sufficient in manufacturing goods strategically important to us. Much manufacturing here has been shouted down on environmental grounds (eg downstream processing of our mining and agricultural produce). I no longer expect to see projects I am involved in come to fruition - I will be happy if the permitting is passed before I fall off the perch!.

The :poop: will hit the fan if iron ore is next. I know they have some supply problems from a Brazil at the moment but that will change.