Wild dogs and prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nuggetino said:
If you look tiny they might take an interest. I had a peculiar situation in WA when i camped near a rock formation home to a pack of dingoes. Buzzing around on a 50cc scooter a big male dingo kept chasing me. As soon as I stood up off the seat he'd back right off. Most wild dogs I've seen are much smaller than dingoes.

I find that very hard to believe given the average dingo is only 15 to 20 kg you must have seen the pups from the wild dog pack I'd say :eek: They cull the dingoes from Fraser in my area and the farmers can always tell when it's done due to a heavy increase in loss of calves and lambs ................ the wild dog packs take down the full grown stock no problem.
Re standing on your seat ? A dingo will hunt small prey individually but if taking on large prey will usually do so in a pack so outcome may be different given the same situation with a pack compared to one individual dingo. In saying that in my forty plus trips to Fraser which would probably have the highest dingo population per area in Australia ........................ have not as yet ever had a problem with one.
To the original OP I'd be more concerned about stepping on a snake than the dogs or dingoes to be honest and a good set of quality gaiters will help you out in that area, shake out your bedding before climbing in at night and above all enjoy your time in the bush :)

1474580641_gaiters_1.jpg

Yep I've too encountered many dingoes throughout Australia including fraser island. Those on fraser island are relatively small and slender. Larger up at cape york I've found. They're all pretty timid. I don't know how big this WA dingo was but certainly much larger than typical fraser island dingoes. Maybe 40kg or so. It looked pure bred (sand coloured) just taller and broader than the fraser island type. This was about 350k's norther east of Leonora. I'ts my only experience where a dingo has taken an active interest in me so I'm not surprsied you find it hard to believe. I don't know if he had any intent to harm me to be honest but he sure liked to chase me. I wasn't game to let him get too near and see what happens which is why I'd stop and stand as he got too close. for comfort

After some googling and reading this article I'm starting to think it may well have been a hybrid considering the size and unusual behaviour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...uper-dingoes-bring-terror-to-the-outback.html

BTW my brother inlaws father was in Adelaide last Xmas and last I spoke to him he was having problems with some nasty wild dogs wreaking havoc at his Emu farm in Wagga Wagga. They've been taking down his fully grown Emu's apparently. Haven't heard anything about it since.

A dingo ,dog ,cat wont rip the head of a kangaroo . After ww2 a lot of american troops had to decide to destroy they mascots because of quaratine regulations or release them to wild to breed .I saw a cat 175 k south of cloncurry that was not native to aust. No good talking about on this forum because i just get a hard time . These sighting go from qld ,nsw vic sa . I love a drink but know what i saw

Don't hold back mate.
Seen things myself that you just don't talk about. :(
Old Fred said:
A dingo ,dog ,cat wont rip the head of a kangaroo . After ww2 a lot of american troops had to decide to destroy they mascots because of quaratine regulations or release them to wild to breed .I saw a cat 175 k south of cloncurry that was not native to aust. No good talking about on this forum because i just get a hard time . These sighting go from qld ,nsw vic sa . I love a drink but know what i saw

Don't worry Old Fred.. ;) . Two of my mates and I were out camping and Fossicking about 80km south of Cloncurry 2 years ago. All day we had this feeling someone was watching us.. About 3.30am all hell broke loose in camp and when we stumbled out of our tents... Everything was knocked over and there was this Possum in 2 pieces... ripped apart right in our camp. There were no growls, like a dog in an attack on something.. No idea what got him but when we looked around camp at Dawn, We all swear "Something'' was watching us again .... no tracks or anything, just a bad feeling..... We didn't stay around long enough to find out what it was.... When we saw a farmer up the track, we told him what happened and all he said was F#%^@N Big Cats back..... :|
yeh right, good luck, bye.. never to return for us.. and the Fossicking was crap in that spot anyhow.. I always say my Eyes and Ears don't lie, cause I don't Drink.... :)

LoneWolf....

I've been out a fair bit, sat nice and quiet and waited for things to present themselves, Have seen a lot of things, never a big cat, but it wouldn't surprise me.
However it would be hard for a population to establish, as two of the same species (one of each sex) would have to have met up and bred.
Not sure how many mascots got released, what species, sex and location, seems unprobable, but not impossible.
BTW I have no idea about WA but in Vic the only wild dogs you see are all mongrel or hybrid dingo, no pure dingo's here. (not that I came across)

LoneWolf said:
Don't worry Old Fred.. ;) . Two of my mates and I were out camping and Fossicking about 80km south of Cloncurry 2 years ago. All day we had this feeling someone was watching us.. About 3.30am all hell broke loose in camp and when we stumbled out of our tents... Everything was knocked over and there was this Possum in 2 pieces... ripped apart right in our camp. There were no growls, like a dog in an attack on something.. No idea what got him but when we looked around camp at Dawn, We all swear "Something'' was watching us again .... no tracks or anything, just a bad feeling..... We didn't stay around long enough to find out what it was.... When we saw a farmer up the track, we told him what happened and all he said was F#%^@N Big Cats back..... :|
yeh right, good luck, bye.. never to return for us.. and the Fossicking was crap in that spot anyhow.. I always say my Eyes and Ears don't lie, cause I don't Drink.... :)

LoneWolf....
You where roughly in the area i was when i saw it . We where on a station test drilling for gold /copper with about 10 drillers in camp and no guns as they not allowed on station . got a bit messy at the pub in cloncurry and opened my mouth and basicly got laughed at . Went back to camp next morning and station manager was waiting to hear what i had seen .Had a few station hands with him and enough guns to start ww3 . He also said the f@#$k#n. cats back ! .

Tathradj said:
Don't hold back mate.
Seen things myself that you just don't talk about. :(
Old Fred said:
..............U tell me what u seen and i tell u what i seen :)

Bogger said:
Could have been the "Bealiba Beast" heading North :eek: :)
A long way from Victoria . The beast was suposed to be a black panther.The one i saw was more like a couger

Hey I've got a good idea! Let's get a can of worms and open it !!!

The guy that thinks it was a big cat has been in the area a long time. He was pretty serious when he told us. It's not something you come across that often. Anyhow I called the guy that owns the station and he won't allow guns. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open. It should be a lot of fun. Not having done it before I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm looking at it more as a camping trip but it would be nice to think we found something to show. I'm looking forward to the hunt.

Occasional_panner said:
So this guy can't run stock due to wild dogs, but he won't allow firearms on the property?
NUTCASE!!!!

Yeah but just remember he hasn't met me so I don't blame him. He employs a dogger. We realised we have a mutual friend so I'm sure that will change.

There have been too many sightings of these things.. All over Australia..... The NSW DPI has a room full of evidence, Scat samples, Paw prints, Video sightings, Statements from Farmers and Police Officers, the list goes on and on... Google it... good reading and videos of these ''things'' :eek:
If these sightings were BS... Then why would DPI give these two guys a heap of $$$, to go and have a look into all this.... and that was well over 2 years ago when they did this...
Wonder where the ''Report'' has gone.... My guess it's in with the rest of the Evidence .. ;)
You will always have sceptics willing to discredit anyone, but the evidence is Mounting.... :cool:

LoneWolf...

The question was asked of me today if I ever worry about wild dogs when prospecting? The person who asked me this reckons he had two following him once when he was out detecting at a distance of between 10 and 20 meters. I don't if he is full of it or not but it got me thinking. I would like to know how many people have actually come across a wild dog when swinging the detector? I have not yet at this stage but have seen plenty of sign of dogs about but am yet to see any.

I am more worried about buffalo, I walked up on 3 a couple of months ago and they were seriously cranky at me. A bit scared to use headphones now.

I've come across quite a few in my time and they have always took off once they seen me.But things maybe different if you look like a easy meal. :eek: :Y: :D

Latest posts