Wild dogs and prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late 2016 a prospector here was badly mauled, he said he was lucky he didnt go down as there was 2 more waiting for him to drop.

I see dogs almost daily and have whacked 3 this week alone. Dingos are generally just curious and Will follow you at a distance at times, but its the wild dogs that are the problem.

about 20 years ago on our block here ( 86 acres backing onto state forest ) middle of the day and mum was hanging out washing only mum and dad were home anyway five dogs of assorted breeds came out of the scrub and started to circle mum dead quiet they moved slowly in closer and one started to growl mum sung out to dad who was inside dad could tell my mums tone that something was wrong so he came out armed with the 410 he was thinking snake , as soon as he appeared outside and the dogs saw him they departed quickly . i think they had second thoughts taking on 2 humans .mum never stopped shaking for an hour or so ,. what would of happened if dad had not been there or if mum had made a run for the house rather than stand still and sing out we will never know . the dogs have never been since ,not that group anyway .

johno

Any dogs in a pack are worthy of respectful caution, by nature they hunt in packs to achieve their desire. Grew up with them roaming singularly without problems, mind you being startled in the chook shed put a shiver up the spine. At the end of the day treat all animals in the great outdoors with respect if your alone or with others. Like Madtuna if you are in the proper environment and have the ability and means to take charge don't waste the opportunity.

madtuna said:
Late 2016 a prospector here was badly mauled, he said he was lucky he didnt go down as there was 2 more waiting for him to drop.

I see dogs almost daily and have whacked 3 this week alone. Dingos are generally just curious and Will follow you at a distance at times, but its the wild dogs that are the problem.

That is what I have found. Wild dogs generally tend to stay well out of sight and away from humans

Ithink I would be more concerned about the wild pigs in FNQ. There are some very big ones up there and if you get between them and their babies...

Yep wild dogs an issue worth considering depending on where you are....more of an issue if you are injured...but then the pigs might be more of a concern....

wooly said:
Ithink I would be more concerned about the wild pigs in FNQ. There are some very big ones up there and if you get between them and their babies...

The trouble is out here the dogs are breeding with the pigs.

Mod edit, not the type of pic we want on a family oriented forum, there were a couple of complaints

madtuna said:
wooly said:

The trouble is out here the dogs are breeding with the pigs.

Madtuna that is brilliant. I just about fell off my chair laughing. That is the best pig dog I have ever come across. nice work. Do you mind if I use it?

Lol go ahead. I have a fake reindeer here somewhere too and pretty sure Im going to run across a thylacine in the not to distant future :D

MT shame about the pic .................... :rolleyes: I'll have to get a pic of the picnic and camp area on Fraser. They let the dingoes run free and lock up the humans :eek:

Yes a long way north east of Leonora I was followed by a dingo. Probably a hybrid given it was a good match for my mastiff/dane cross in size. I was on a little 50cc scooter buzzing about the bush. He kept a distance of 10-20 meters. I stopped and stood up raising my pick. He backed off not liking my height. As soon as I'd sit down and take off he'd follow again. It was a harmless game of cat and mouse until eventually he'd had enough and left me alone. The one thing that crossed my mind was hoping he didn't have any buddies with him or perhaps he'd have been a little more ballsy.

nuggetino said:
Yes a long way north east of Leonora I was followed by a dingo. Probably a hybrid given it was a good match for my mastiff/dane cross in size. I was on a little 50cc scooter buzzing about the bush. He kept a distance of 10-20 meters. I stopped and stood up raising my pick. He backed off not liking my height. As soon as I'd sit down and take off he'd follow again. It was a harmless game of cat and mouse until eventually he'd had enough and left me alone. The one thing that crossed my mind was hoping he didn't have any buddies with him or perhaps he'd have been a little more ballsy.

Your last bit sounds interesting.

A lot of fuss about nothing but you lot make the rules and I respect thaT but geez louise

Edit.... as for doing one in with your pick, if that bloke that got mauled here didnt kill it with a pick he probably wouldnt be here as there were two waiting for him to drop.
Now Id recommend using your pick if attacked though it is a rare occurrence and if that warrents a banning feel free!

Yeah I'm with you MT .................. problem for the complainers I guess, for those brought up on the land pics such as you posted are everyday real life. I can remember as far back as pre school watching a cow give birth and the steam rising from the new born calf as it lay in the frosty grass . Oh and then the yummy bit where the mother then eats the afterbirth :eek: But again that was just a normal day as a kid living on a farm :Y: Vermin were killed and anything else that threatened the income of the farmer. Fox's ............... loved them, at seven and six a scalp ya got at the forestry. I can still remember how good one used to smell after finishing scalping them :Y: But hang on you were allowed to tote a gun then, even at 8 years old ;) .
In short ...................... just different worlds . I never did watch playschool ................... not having a telly may have had something to do with it :D

Latest posts