wifes neck lace

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveo1

Steve
Reaction score
Went detecting yesterday and fond a little bit of gold in some quarts i was showing my wife and ran the quarts rock over there detector and it went off then my wife ran her neck lace over the detector and the neck lace did not even go off over the detector the neck lace cost me 400 dollars so what is it made of if it did not go off over the detector have i been ripped off

you can get acid test for gold purity on ebay or take it to a person buying gold and they will do test on it for you for free :)

Steveo, Necklaces are very hard to pick up with a detector. The reason is that the detector doesn't look at the whole necklace it is only seeing one link at a time. Its like a broken ring and a complete ring. Try this, get a piece of thin copper wire about 50mm long and try to detect it? Now turn the wire into a closed loop (ring) and re-detect, you will notice a huge difference. This is why some gold nuggets are invisible to some detectors. Its the way the eddy currents work. I am sure some one will give a more detailed explanation, but i hope you get the idea. :)

I forgot to mention, the only reason i have found necklaces while detecting is because they had a pendant attached or a large enough clasp.

If your detect was a PI,then they will not pick up gold with mixed metal,in so much as the gold needs to be of a high purity,as the purity drops so does the sensitivity.This is the reason PI will not pick some gold and VLF will.This will sound far fetched but it is fact,it comes from my experience.

Regards Frank

Latest posts