who wants to give away a secret?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunollyman

stephen
Reaction score
can any one my any clues to a good creek in or some what near dunolly that i can find gold in thats not burnt creek? :D

Try the creek at Waanyarra near secret hill if theres no water use the dam next to wet gully track.

Old Laanecoorie Track just out of Tarnagulla as you come down the hill creek is on the right and cross over to the left at the bottom of the hill this is called Ironbark gully water in dams on the right and left if there is no water in the creek.

Creek, gully on the right side of Queens Track at Moliagul as you drive in off the road. Also on the main road to the Welcome stranger monument diggings on the right side feed down into a creek that has unlimited amount of opportunities. I hope all this info helps but it's all about getting out there and driving around and having a look. Research is great but nothing beats a pair of eyes and getting ones hands dirty.
If you need more PM me
regards deepblue

deepblue said:
Try the creek at Waanyarra near secret hill if theres no water use the dam next to wet gully track.

That'll be Jones Creek, Waanyarra, sorry to be a "wet blanket" but you need to be aware that the creek is named on the List of Exempted Rivers Streams where prospecting in the River Bed is not allowed.

casper

You may be better heading down to Castlemaine area, there are a few creeks with water during winter & spring, i recall getting nice specks and some little rough nuggets in the area in 1989.
Not sure of the exact location? I did meet some locals who had made a high banker out of wood, they had a bucket rather than a pump, we dug out some material from rabbit holes and every pan showed gold. We spent around three hours processing material and must have got just over a gram, they gave me some gold for helping, i wish i had took photos of that day. :)

thanks deepblue,

dunollyman... Jones Creek at Waanyarra has 2 tributaries near Secret Hill and I've circled them in green on the map. I've seen a 1oz nuggett come out of a mullock heap associated with the southern tributary shallow lead diggings - good luck :D

You can use the attached geovic map on your smart phone (with an appropriate app) to find your way to where you want to go, the red circled reference points are mine that I used to calibrate the map within the app.

casper
1396087765_picture_16.png

thats very nice ok now ime to go to bunnings and get a jigsaw blade so i can finish my sluice and try to get down there next week :p

I'm 13 years old and I have just got my first sd 2100 minelab metal detector. I live just outside clunes . I haven't found any
gold yet but that is because I haven't got any maps and I also don't know how to read the maps. It would be very greatful if someone could help
me.

Hi sam.t and welcome to the forum. may have been better posting this in the "introduce yourself area to get more people to see it.
I've heard of quite a few people finding gold with the sd 2100 and you live in the right area.
I would suggest trying the library to see what they have, not sure how big/good the library is in Clunes but if you can't get to another city (Maryborough/Ballarat) perhaps the library can get them for you from there.
If using the computer try GeoVic v2, there are a few older posts on the forum that might help explain how to use it, it's a good starting point to view old digging areas.
Should also try just a google search for gold mining areas - Clunes often surprising what turns up.
Good luck, Tom

Hi Sam.t

There are a few guys local to you , some of them very experienced so hopefully when they are on next they will see your post and give you some good places to start with.

Its great you have found this hobby

Do you have friends to go with you ?

There are a few clever rules for safety when you go out detecting , the best one is to tell someone exactly where you're going and what time you're coming home so if you are late coming home for any reason they will know where to come and look for you , and always go with a friend.

Alot of us older guys carry an electronic locator beacon called a PLB but they are expensive and i understand if you cant afford one , they can be hired though so talk to your parents about it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACR-AQUA...AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cb851afc

We carry those so if we get bitten by a snake or get injured , we push the button and it sends a signal to police so they can come to find us within 2 - 3 hours.

Do you have a GPS to find your way back home from the bush or an Ipad or IPhone that has built in GPS , they are very useful for a mapping tool and to save you getting lost too.

I will wait and see if the guys in your area reply , coz they could teach you heaps of locations and techniques to improve your gold finds

best wishes

Hi all,

I just seen this thread,
Is there any reason why you can't do a fossick in burnt creek anyone. I noticed dunollyman had mentioned it above.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

casper said:
thanks deepblue,

dunollyman... Jones Creek at Waanyarra has 2 tributaries near Secret Hill and I've circled them in green on the map. I've seen a 1oz nuggett come out of a mullock heap associated with the southern tributary shallow lead diggings - good luck :D

You can use the attached geovic map on your smart phone (with an appropriate app) to find your way to where you want to go, the red circled reference points are mine that I used to calibrate the map within the app.

casper
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/562/1396087765_picture_16.png

Hi Casper,

Can tell a dill how in basic steps I can get to this map on the geovic site or others like it. I have asked before and failed.
step by step if you can be bothered or link by link.
Many thanks
GT

G'day GT.....hope this helps!

Im using Geovic Version 3 (registered)

From the main greet screen i locate Waanyarra using the red 'gun-site' toggle (top right) roughly where its positioned in the screen shot below and using the dropdown box, select resolution 100,000. You will notice i have resolution set at 10,000 in the pic, but I adjust this later once the area is located.

amb70z.jpg

After Im close to the area, I highlight the little hand on the menu bar, then using the mouse I drag the screenshot in Geovic till Wanyarra is CENTRAL in the page.

The little 'hand' and 'add layer' buttons i have circled in red below.

2i8956f.jpg

Once Waanyarra is central in my page, I click the drop-down box in resolution on far top right (circled in the top pic) and select 10,000. This just zooms in the page to get better accuracy of where you want to look.

Then I add the extra layers using the 'add layer' green button and find the layers i want to add......You will see the layers I have added in the tree pane on the far left of the pic above.
The main add layers shown in the end pic are:

(1)Shallow Leads and workings detail (pink areas)

(2)Deep leads (green lines)

(3)Watercourses (in blue)

Should then have a result like this below ;

64eywo.jpg

There are different ways to acheive the same result, however its just a method i prefer personally, others may have a better way!

If you get stuck just ask away mate!
My directions are sometimes as clear as mud.

Cheers

Meta ;)

Latest posts