Whites TDI Pro v Garrett ATX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
This is my first post so HAY!. :D
I am going to get myself a new detector soon and my budget is around $2500.
So far I have liked the look of the tdi and the atx leaning towards the tdi.
My target area is Vic gold field mainly alpine, omeo, baw baw areas.
Could you please share your troughs as I have never spent this much on a detector so I would like to make an informed decision.
Also if any other detectors fit the bill please let me know.
Thank You.

Good question, I've actually been looking into the Whites TDI Pro myself. It'll be interesting to see what people have to say.

I am saving for the TDI pro. I do really like the SDC2300 but at $4K??? I have been reading some good reports about the TDI. seems a capable machine.

Cliff

mozzie1957 said:
Got a new SPP from the boys at Dunolly and was keen to give it a good run.
Tried in an area that is hard going with my GPX5000 due to EMI. The SPP was
as steady as a rock and I picked several shotty pellets at about an inch, same
depth as I've found them here with the 5k. But a lot easier to pick due to the
way the SPP ignores the EMI. Also picked a pellet, about the size of a .32, at
about 6". Nice crisp signal.
And, joy of joy, got a little .2 of a gram nugget. Barely under the surface but
surprised that this machine could pick something as small as that. I was using
a Minelab Commander 8" mono.
Loving this little machine

You could get a SPP for $1200 & a little coil like the Minelab 8" (as above) or a waterproof Coiltek 6" with change out of $1500. Bank the other $1000 & use it as a savings point for a ATX, SDC or even a GPX. It would give you a new PI machine that is shaping up as a good budget/entry level detector from what mozzie has posted. Very interesting for the price they are selling for.

mbasko said:
mozzie1957 said:
Got a new SPP from the boys at Dunolly and was keen to give it a good run.
Tried in an area that is hard going with my GPX5000 due to EMI. The SPP was
as steady as a rock and I picked several shotty pellets at about an inch, same
depth as I've found them here with the 5k. But a lot easier to pick due to the
way the SPP ignores the EMI. Also picked a pellet, about the size of a .32, at
about 6". Nice crisp signal.
And, joy of joy, got a little .2 of a gram nugget. Barely under the surface but
surprised that this machine could pick something as small as that. I was using
a Minelab Commander 8" mono.
Loving this little machine

You could get a SPP for $1200 & a little coil like the Minelab 8" (as above) or a waterproof Coiltek 6" with change out of $1500. Bank the other $1000 & use it as a savings point for a ATX, SDC or even a GPX. It would give you a new PI machine that is shaping up as a good budget/entry level detector from what mozzie has posted. Very interesting for the price they are selling for.

You can also ask for swapping 12" coil that comes with SPP for White's 7.5" coil. I ask and got mine with smaller coil.
Karl

I personally feel that the tdi has the advantage on the spp due to the conductivity switch. I've owned a tdi and used an atx and would pick the tdi every time. Furthermore the tdi is a gold bug ii cheaper than the atx...

ATX being the better more sensitive of the 2 units, I would still go with the TDI price and performance.. TDI does detect small god, you've just got to be moving that coil low and slow..

I am movong towards the tdi.
The ssl sounds nice but I detect in areas that there so no man made emi .
Any good tdi/coil combo's to go for ?
Thanks for all the thorghts thus far..

Iv been using the 14x9 goldstalker blitz probably my fav all round coil and still sensitive to my 0.12 gram nugget I'd say with the 6"round coiltek would be a good combo.

If the had to pick between the two
Which one would you pick
I only have 24hrs to decide

What do you guys think
Cheers

For gold id go the ATX. Blokes I know and would believe who have used both reckon the ATX is better and goes deeper. Is heavier though and you don't have as many coil options. You could easily make up a bungy cord set up though.

I haven't used an ATX but I love my TDI Pro. I like the idea of granular control over just about every aspect of the detector as well as the slather of available coil options, this makes for quite a versatile machine.

I've run both extensively on the same goldfields. Both have pros and cons, and both will pick up nuggets. At the end of the day my personal view is the TDI ticks more "pros" and it's a machine that you can swing "all day" without tiring.....and coil time on the ground is what i find gets more gold.

WalnLiz said:
I've run both extensively on the same goldfields. Both have pros and cons, and both will pick up nuggets. At the end of the day my personal view is the TDI ticks more "pros" and it's a machine that you can swing "all day" without tiring.....and coil time on the ground is what i find gets more gold.

I agree Wal, Plus there's over a 100 coils just waiting for a Date with your Bank Card, It's only money Not To Worry, A

Good Luck with you're choice,

Hi Wal. We know they both pick up nuggets, so will a VLF. As you have used both extensively you would have to come to a conclusion that on gold, regardless of weight or anything else like how many coils, which one did you find found gold the deepest and more effectively? My friends who have done the same found the TDI on discriminate high low conductivity missed 50% of the gold they tested on either setting. A couple of good species they tried with several ounces of gold in wasn't heard in one of the dics settings at only 6 inches and visa versa it went. Meaning they could go over ground with it in high and miss easily detectable gold and the same would apply to low.
They also found that where the pulse delay is set had a big effect as well. Set on 10 micros they got some gold real good but not so on some other bits which pinged in better set up higher! They found the ATX was better all round getting the targets much more evenly and deeper. I have used the TDI and tried what they did and did definitely see the differences in high low conductivity settings and the pulse delay which was a bit disconcerting. For my money you cant beat a Minelab, no ifs, but I don't think the TDI is the one that comes second, the ATX is, then the TDI third. I see also that Steve Hershbach, probably spelt it wrong, sees it the same.

I've used both and if i had to pick between the two I'd go the TDI - here's why:

- Lighter
- much more pleasant tone
- infinite coil choices that don't cost the earth
- a heck of a lot cheaper (In Oz at least)
- can plug in any headphones
- no shift and hold button combos required

This debate can be discussed on so many different levels and you will get a different set of outcomes on targets from within different sections of even the same field. The ATX certainly has an advantage in that it looks at targets as a single element and can be set for large and small targets with just the one function.

The TDI cannot be compared to the ATX in "set and detect all nuggets" with one setting. If you set the TDI in "Low" conductivity you will be able to pick up extremely small nuggets, but a 1oz nugget under the coil with this setting and you will hardly hear it at 4". If you want to pick up the best depth on "All" targets (large and small) you need to be in "ALL" target conductivity and using High or Low will give varying responses.

Frequency will always make a difference as well and If kept generally in the middle will give the optimum results. I don't want to go into Pulse delay and the other settings on this thread as I don't want it to be a lesson on how to "correctly" set up a TDI.

I have an ATX sitting in my lounge room and have a lot of time for the machines capabilities. I also have a TDI sitting next to it and just as happy with its capabilities to compete with the ATX in total numbers both would pull on the same field. Like i said in the earlier post both are great in their price range, and I agree with you that neither will compete with the 5000 (though this is not the exercise).

Your view of which one comes first, second or third is based on your own experience, as is my own personal view.

One has to weigh up "All" the pros and cons oneself....as both will find both minute and large nuggets in extremely mineralised ground.

Cheers Wal

Latest posts