Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHINGE! Correct English usage and diction; the kind of English that would be spoken at the court of the English king/Queen: “With their mixture of jargon and slang, sportscasters, news readers, public are constantly murdering the King's/Queens English.” ***Should "of" instead of should "have." "Cool" whether it be hot, cold, happy, excited etc etc.

Peter, I guess we just have to go with the flow because we've lost our chance to have much influience on it. One of the things that bug me is the writing without capital letters. Some people old enough to know the difference will even write their own name in all lower case, just look at their online names ;). My english writing skills were just about Zip until computers came along so I don't have a lot of reason to complain. My first computer was an Amstrad with a 5" 360kb floppy disk and a whopping big 20mb hard disk and just a flashing curser on the screen. With my level of spelling skills it kept repeating "Bad command or file name" until I was forced to learn to spell some basic words. Now I'm married to an ex-school teacher with excellent editing skills so all the whinging is done for me.... :rolleyes:

Green dream should be given to people too.
Reminds me of a beach fishing trip 20 odd years ago.
Turned up to the spot to hear some faint meowing. Out of the scrub came a very young kitten that had obviously been dumped.
Gave him some water and a bit of sausage and said to the Missus if he is still here in the morning we be taking him home. Sure enough he was curled up next to the the swag next morning. Needless to say he came home with us.
If I had of found who dumped him well plastic bag in the dam wouldn’t have been good enough.

My whinge is about prospecting stalkers. We’ve probably all encountered them at some time.
They are the types that you encounter in the bush driving along a nearby track when they obviously spot you detecting. They stop the car and watch you. I have no problem if they slow down when seeing you (I would tend to do that myself), but when they stop the car to check you out for some time that’s different.
When after checking you out, they then move on a bit up the track and start detecting in a place that cuts off your direction of detecting travel that’s what I am really whinging about.
I know that everyone has equal rights in the goldfields, but it is a matter of showing each other of us some respect.

I recently pegged a new bit of ground and went to check it out. I stopped the quad in one spot and pulled up a small nugget so moved on a couple hundred metres. I just detected another and spotted something back behind me. When I turned around there was a Hilux half hiding behind a couple of shrubs as soon as I dug the nugget and covered the hole I moved on to the next spot another couple of hundred metres away. He immediately moved onto the last spot I'd been and jumped out with the detector. These people must have no mind of their own, just stalk others to find where gold has been. There were only a few faint old tracks across the lease when I pegged it but now there are well worn tracks everywhere.

What's happened Johnb, I'm sure we will be able to help you through it.
My missus is great, she lets me detect whenever I want, as long as it's not affecting the running of the household. I can't however keep finds on the kitchen table for three days in a row, no matter how beautiful or eye catching the haul may be !(I've learnt that the hard way).
Maybe you could put a longer chain on that mountain of a nugget son and hang it in a beautiful spot, or get it spread over some handles on a good looking cutlery set, or any other of a thousand ideas that would please your missus. Just don't throw it into the back of some draw and forget about it, as this will only make her think you don't care as much as you should(do something with it because you've already offered it to her). My missus says you should wear it and say your missus gave it to you because she understands and appreciates your hobby.
Has anyone else got some great ideas to help Johnb through this ?
My missus even shared the excitement of our first find -two 303 shell casings and a lead wheel weight. Did have to promise to bring home gold next time

Just went to my favourite toy store to buy a litre of paint to finish off a project and nearly had to call my cardi. $61.00 for a litre of interior waterbased gloss. Absolute ripoff. Gobsmacked. A 500ml was $41.50 go figure. No wonder builders are going out backwards as painters would be charging a motza to paint a place.

$2.53 per liter for 98 unleaded fuel this morning.... Keeps going up :)

Might be time for Australia to drilling it's own. I know it would be harder and more expensive to filter it etc due to the quality of it, but it's better than filling the coffers in the middle east.

A gentle reminder:
  • Due to varying beliefs and opinions, discussions, or any other threads/posts, directly relating to politics or religion are not permitted. For example ANY content that specifically names politicians or political parties will be removed without notice.

$2.53 per liter for 98 unleaded fuel this morning.... Keeps going up :)

Might be time for Australia to drilling it's own. I know it would be harder and more expensive to filter it etc due to the quality of it, but it's better than filling the coffers in the middle east.
We wont do that. Our leaders off all political persuasions have all been selling us and future generations out for a very long time. Take for example taxing air b and b and passing that off as real action on housing affordability. It really gets my goat that they pretend to care. It will help a little sure but the housing affordability horse has well and truly bolted. Same with talk of 30 k affordable homes over the next few years ? 200k migrants per year lol so its just window dressing. I say this as some one who is lucky enough to own a very expensive peice of real estate but its my only peice and the family home so it would be just as expensive to replace it so what its worth means nothing to me. Better it was worth much less and my kids could buy their own home with a regular job. Endless booming prices and ballooning personal debt will be a total disaster for future generations and our countries ability to compete as wages have to stay high to service the massive debt imo. Our future will be haves and have nots with working families living in trailer parks like the US. My whinge over thanks.

Last edited:
We wont do that. Our leaders off all political persuasions have all been selling us and future generations out for a very long time. Take for example taxing air b and b and passing that off as real action on housing affordability. It really gets my goat that they pretend to care. It will help a little sure but the housing affordability horse has well and truly bolted. Same with talk of 30 k affordable homes over the next few years ? 200k migrants per year lol so its just window dressing. I say this as some one who is lucky enough to own a very expensive peice of real estate but its my only peice and thw family home so it would be just as expensive to replace it sonits all relative. Endless booming prices and ballooning personal debt is a total disaster for future generations and our countries ability to compete imo. My whinge over thanks.
Perhaps the idea for taxing b n bs is to force the owners to sell them. That would make sense as then our social housing needs could be satisfied by housing our unemployed in ex holiday homes where they could lead their unemployed life in peace knowing that there is not much chance of finding employment there.
If we believe that was the reason for the tax and just not a money grab by a broke government then pigs fly don’t they?
Disclosure I do not own the house I live in (My wife does) and I rent out my house (with its now small mortgage) for some extra retirement income for us to both live above the welfare support line. That gap is narrowing a lot.

Perhaps the idea for taxing b n bs is to force the owners to sell them. That would make sense as then our social housing needs could be satisfied by housing our unemployed in ex holiday homes where they could lead their unemployed life in peace knowing that there is not much chance of finding employment there.
If we believe that was the reason for the tax and just not a money grab by a broke government then pigs fly don’t they?
Disclosure I do not own the house I live in (My wife does) and I rent out my house (with its now small mortgage) for some extra retirement income for us to both live above the welfare support line. That gap is narrowing a lot.
It might force a few to sell but there is no where near enough to bring down the general market. For example there is an air b & b 4bdr home near us that they rent out for over 1k per night. If they put it on the market though I would expect they will easily get around 2 million so its not really going to help the poorer end get a house. Like I alluded to we are basically f@%ed now beause if we were to crash the market to make housing affordable again many will loose their shirt because they have so much debt but if you dont future generations have very little to look forward to. Catch 22. Sorry to whinge so much but this is the whinge thread lol.

Last edited:
This is not really a whinge, earlier this year I got some quotes to put up a big outdoor area at the back of our house, it involved removing about 10 metres of the verandah so the structure could abutt the house so it was a fairly big job, I had 2 quotes of around 30k and 1 quote of around 18.5k, Gary, the guy that gave us the cheapest quote had done a job for us before and it was great, he's a very good builder with a good reputation, so we got him to do the job, the end result is fantastic and we are as pleased as punch. After the first 2 quotes which came in promptly I fully expected to pay around 30k, and I had to ring Gary several times to get him to send me his quote, the brief was the same to all 3 builders and our total cost was $18,300. That's a huge difference.

This is not really a whinge, earlier this year I got some quotes to put up a big outdoor area at the back of our house, it involved removing about 10 metres of the verandah so the structure could abutt the house so it was a fairly big job, I had 2 quotes of around 30k and 1 quote of around 18.5k, Gary, the guy that gave us the cheapest quote had done a job for us before and it was great, he's a very good builder with a good reputation, so we got him to do the job, the end result is fantastic and we are as pleased as punch. After the first 2 quotes which came in promptly I fully expected to pay around 30k, and I had to ring Gary several times to get him to send me his quote, the brief was the same to all 3 builders and our total cost was $18,300. That's a huge difference.
That's definitely not a whinge, that's a win! 👍

Last week I got an email from iiNet informing me that they are ceasing their email service so I must transfer to a new supplier. I thought it was a scam so I sent it to ScamWatch but never got a reply.

iinet.jpg

The site shows that I've been with them for 23 years, in fact I first created my email address with them in 1993 so much longer than that. It's very dissapointing but there's nothing I can do :confused:

Last week I got an email from iiNet informing me that they are ceasing their email service so I must transfer to a new supplier. I thought it was a scam so I sent it to ScamWatch but never got a reply.

View attachment 11238

The site shows that I've been with them for 23 years, in fact I first created my email address with them in 1993 so much longer than that. It's very dissapointing but there's nothing I can do :confused:
I don’t think it’s a scam, my accountant received the same email thinking he was being scammed.
I can’t remember, but I think it looked like a merger was in the pipeline?
Best to save any important emails and open an outlook or gmail account and inform your contacts of your new email.
My iiNet email address only has 15years worth of iiNet invoice.

Latest posts