Which size coil do you start with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All.
When you go detecting what size coil do you start off with?

I have the standard and NF 15" Evolution for my GPX 4500. SO far have only managed a half gram piece after many trips aground mudgee (Doug Stone maps). Cheers.

Reason for asking is I plan on getting the new Coiltek 9" and not sure which one to use under what circumstances.

With the 5000, if Im striding out looking for new ground and am not too lazy to swap it over, its the 18NF round.
If Im lazy or just concentrating on a known area its usually the 15NF round.

With the 7000 just the standard coil and the put th 19 on for known deep ground where Ive pinged deeper big bit or at least hope to.

Coil size can really depend on your style of detecting.

If you are working more open ground, a big coil is great. It will punch down deep looking for bigger nuggets. If you are poking around diggings in the bush where there is a lot of undergrowth, a smaller coil (or an elliptical) is easier to use.

Larger coils may not pick up the smaller bits (>.1) easily and when you do find them it can take ages to pinpoint such a small target with a large coil.
Smaller coils dont punch quite as deep but easier to pinpoint and find smaller targets.

I have a few coils - a 14x9 evo, a 15" evo and a 17x11 Elite. I use them all depending on the situation and often will run over the same ground with each as they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If I was you, I would look at something like a 12" evo or a 14x9 evo to compliment what you have.

11 or less. Hardest thing is to find gold, so nothing wrong with going home with a handful of sub grammers

I've just ordered a Coiltek 11" Elite to punch the ground around Moliagul area. Some of the new areas I'm trying is just a little too deep for my SDC. I will also order a "Sadie" or the new 9" Elite (after I see reviews on it in May). I have the 14" Elite for deeper ground but the area I concentrate on I have no need for it as yet.
The 14" will pick up sub-grammers around the 0.2g at about 2-3", but it's a bugger trying to pin point that's why I'm going for a smaller and lighter coil.

A fellow I know also picks up sub grammers in the same area with his 14x9 Evo with no problems

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I'll have to go back to Ophir where I found my only piece when I get a smaller coil. Checked the immediate area for the rest of the day and couldn't find anything else.

With the newer wound coils there are some great choices

I got my 5000 end of 2012 so it was all about learning , listening with the supplied 11 mono

- I did read somewhere that NuggetFinder is having a promo ? - buy a new EVO coil & get a Sadie for FREE ...!!

Just checked nuggetfinder FB site - yep its on there , 23rd March - April 6th

Now that creates a delemour. Buy a 12" NF to get the Sadie or wait for the new Coiltek 9". I wonder how the Coiltek will compare with the Sadie.

Rockbottom said:
Now that creates a delemour. Buy a 12" NF to get the Sadie or wait for the new Coiltek 9". I wonder how the Coiltek will compare with the Sadie.

True ..!

The Sadie is a good little vacuumer, it is small 8 x 6 but to buy new is $295 ? - and there is an opportunity to get it for free ..

A good dilemma

Agree it's a good dilemma and it's made my mind up to get the 12" round, and Sadie thrown in for free for those real tight rocky areas, hard to pass on a deal like that :Y:

Yep it's a Nugget Finder offer so all you need to do is buy a new Evo coil up to 6th April, send your warranty card in and Nugget Finder will send you a free Sadie coil. Ripper offer if you ask me.

For working diggings, the 14x9 Evo would be my choice unless you are in an area with mostly very hot ground. Then I'd go the 12" as it runs a bit smoother.

I wonder if it's a knee jerk reaction before the 9" Elite release?. But it is a good deal and hard to pass up

Is there much difference between the 15" and 12" Evo? If there is I might go for the deal rather than wait for the Coiltek 9"

Latest posts